Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

6hp advertised gain from Meziere electric water pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6hp advertised gain from Meziere electric water pump?

I was looking through a magazine and saw an ad for a Meziere electric water pump. It said something about 6hp or so to the wheels... I know that the stock water pump does add some parasitic loss, but that much? I mean, 6hp is a significant gain for a $200 part! Especially one that is supposed to give better cooling than the stock setup (ie. increased engine life).

Does anyone have any experience with these pieces? Or, more importantly, has anyone seen a dyno for an h22 showing an increase?

I've had my H22 for almost 2 years now, and I didn't replace the water pump or timing belt. I plan on getting a set of cams this summer, and I might as well do the T-belt and the water pump as well! If this pump can really show some gains, then I might spend the extra for it! Legacy_Accord first showed this particular one to me some time ago...

im interested too. more info ninfos

JDMED

buy my jdm part
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

i dont see how a water pump can add more horsepower. thats like saying when you first start your car it has more horsepower than when its fully warmed up.. It will prob run cooler than normal.

The motor is gona be hot no matter what even when its snowing outside and cold air is blowing in the engine bay it stays pretty damn hot.

and dont try to compare the hondata intake manifold gasket to this, because that makes the air cooler.
      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I believe that if I'm not mistaken, this pump is electric and the power gains are from the parasitic weighed loss in the drive belts...so, like, since it's electric the belts aren't driving if and it's as if it were not there, just like you get gains from lighter pulleys. It's the fact that the engine no longer has to drive it, so it ust frees up that horsepower that you were losing with the old belt-driven pump.

-Methael Ravenwing
        SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
        -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

That's exactly it... Or what they say, anyway. The stock pump is mechanical, driven by belts. It's a similar concept to a lightweight pulley system. Less parasitic loss, more horsepower. I'm sure there is a definite gain, but I'm wondering if it's more than 5hp. If so, it'd be worth the money!

Comment

dude the pulley on the damn water pump is so small, i doubt it.
            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

It's not the size of the pulley, it's what the pulley is doing...it has to move a lot of coolant, all the time....by eliminating that, I think that a 6hp gain is possible, but only time, money and a dyno will prove that. I know at least one of the racers running an H22 is using it, there must be a reason. Plus, eletric waterpumps have been being used on high power V8's for years and they are proven to give a 10-15p gain on those big engines...6hp is not much and certainly not impossible to gain, i think that this piece may be a worthwhile investment.

-Methael Ravenwing
              SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
              -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                Electric water pumps are used in drag racing.
                No, actually not true...they're used in drag _cars!_

Usually during the run, the pump is shut off to cut drag, and then turned on again at the end of the run, idleing back to pits.The will not put out enough flow for any sustained high load application.

It takes eletrical drag to run it of course, though I have no idea if it is more efficient that a belt driven pump. The big thing is that it is easily switchable.

They are nothing new...perhaps new to imports. Is there a specific application to the F series?

tru the power taken could effect other thing or dim others. id just keep my belt driven

Comment

I think if you wanted to do this you might as well go with a grounding kit as I'm guessing the water pump will work harder as you go up in RPM's (since the belts would, correct?) So if you enjoy meeting with redline often then it would need to draw more electricity, right? (Sorry I'm not a mechanic but I'm going by what I think i Know) And from what I know you actually may have a small loss which could be fixed with a good grounding kit. My point really is benchmark < reality.

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

if u do get the pump. u would have to have a new timing belt. one that is prolly smaller since ur not spinning the pump anymore.

i like the idea but its really scary for the timing belt to be different. since its not oem

Comment

http://www.meziere.com/index.php?pgName=wpk500

Figure I might as well add that info... Thinking about doing this again.

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02
                        if u do get the pump. u would have to have a new timing belt. one that is prolly smaller since ur not spinning the pump anymore.

i like the idea but its really scary for the timing belt to be different. since its not oem
                        The pump is replaced by an idler pulley and blanking plate, so the belt stays the same.
                        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Exactly

Comment

I also heard of these kits too dunno how much better they work.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I have heard about them, and saw pics and vid of some prelude guy using it on an h22. Was probably a year ago, so I dont have a clue of where to find it again, but its out there. Most real race cars use electric pumps if I am not mistaken. I was thinking about it when I saw it, but the kit was more like 400... not worth it to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X