Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

My F23A1 Dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My F23A1 Dyno

Prelude H23 eBay Intake tube
    Blox aluminum velocity stack
    AEM 6" dryflow filter
    JVT "long tube" 4-2-1 header
    2.25" test pipe+exhaust, 14" x 6" x 2.25" ID Magnaflow muffler
    Timmytuning F23A1 chip/map/tune on a P28+ OBD2A to OBD1 jumper
    62mm TB port-matched upper
    Bisimoto intake manifold gasket
    62mm H23A VTEC throttle body
    thermal TB gasket
    IAT sensor moved to intake piping

Car is crazy rich past 5K(AFR's in the 10's), and VTEC needs set at about 3200RPM. Lots of power left to be made by dialing stuff in. Going to add a ported/gutted F23 lower plenum/runners, chop up/ modify my H2B PLM 4-2-1 header, 3" exhaust, add the cam gear and retune. Total in mods+engine there's MAYBE $600 into this thing.

Two different B18C1 powered cars with bolt ons/tunes made 140-145whp/115-120whtq on the same dyno under similar conditions within the past week. My car door bangs with both of them.
    Last edited by Chrisnick; 12-02-2015, 12:14 AM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone still wanna argue the F23A*/VTEC head sucks? So much power left in this without a cam it's silly. Unless you plan on porting an F22A head and adding a big cam, F23A* is probably the way to go.

Comment

I've been very curious as to your results. Although I've just been busy and haven't had a chance to comment yet. This is very interesting.

I have an entire F23A1 disassembled on a bench, that I don't have a total plan for yet. I may have to look into porting and polishing the head and intake manifold.

Are you still looking at working on a camshaft with Gary for the F23A? If so I may look into that instead of his camshaft for the F22A.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Not yet. We've briefly discussed it, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I think 180whp isn't out of the question with a stock cam on a well optimized setup. Porting the head isn't really necessary, I don't think, especially with a stock camshaft. Maybe some bowl work, gasket match/clean up the ports, and a good valve job would be about all I'd say it "needs" as they're already a pretty high flowing and high-velocity head. If anything, the biggest improvement will be chopping down the runners in the intake manifold's plenum and finding a length that works best. I'm going to gut mine completely and see where that lands power, and if it shifts it too high/loses too much torque, I'll chop up another one like how Gary does H23 manifolds. It's all a process. A good header design will go a LONG way, as well. Lots of things to play with. I'm willing to bet some $ that the reason why these engines stall out airflow wise at higher RPM is mainly from the intake runner length... I'll see what I can get out of this and keep it updated.

Comment

How long are the intake runners on the F23A IM? It's been so long since I've even looked at that IM. Once I got it off the head it has laid on a shelf since.

Comment

That's about 180hp to the crank, so assuming the thing was 100% healthy, that's only about 20 peak horsepower. I'd really be curious to see how much more you can make by properly tuning it! Still, 20chp/16whp isn't bad for basic bolt-on mods, and chances are the engine has lost some power with age, so the gains are likely a little higher than that.
            With a proper tune and an upgraded camshaft, I bet you can hit H22A peak output pretty easily.

I'm only talking peak numbers, of course. I assume most of this has resulted in gains throughout the powerband.

Also, if you're interested in a camshaft, I believe Gude still makes them for the F23A.

Comment

Web Cams makes one also but to the tune of $556 for a regrind. Here is the description. "Designed for hot street / drag racing. Requires Performance Valve Spring Kit." But for that kind of money it would just be worth looking into a hard weld cam. Here is a link to Webs' cam.

Comment

Thats quite a good HP/$ ratio. Great job man.
                sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I think the runners are about 14" long. I know I can get them down to about 7.5-8" long with gutting the intake. The torque is great, just from a driving back to back perspective, it feels WAY stronger than my friend's H22 Prelude up to about 6000rpm.

$556 could easily get me most everything else I need for a J swap haha. That's why I won't throw a cam in it.

Comment

Yea $556 for a regrind is a little rediculous. I mean my Bisi Stage 2 Regrind was only like $330ish or something. I can't remember for the life of me right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X