Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Air Intake No Piping Question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Intake No Piping Question???

I came up with brilliant idea, can you just stick a air filter on your intake manifold. Would I lose horsepower, or gain? This idea probably sounds stupid but hey it might work
    Magnaflow exhaust for cb7's for sale

hmmmmm.....well you definitely wouldnt get Cold Air .... i cant think of any problems some people on here might tho..........

Comment

yeah true that... i wanna buy a hood and fuck with it and mess with some piping and see what i can do, i really got nothing better to do

Comment

i think u'll loose. something bought it not having the velocity and the air will be really hot..ur best bet is to come up with a CAI kinda like the mr2s or something drawing air from fender
        hahahahah

Comment

Just put a small up turn off the throttle body and cut a hole in the hood. Then stick another turn so the filter points toward the front of the car. Hot rod style! Put a big ass scoop on it too!
          My Ride!
          Anti-Idiot Crew #1

Comment

that could work but, as 93Ex said..d air in der is too damn hot to suck into the manifold..but yeah if you put a hole on your hood and put a hood scoopp then that would probably work..
            "
            Fast and cheap won't be reliable
            Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
            And fast and reliable won't be cheap
            "
            ~EYCEE~

Comment

Your torque may increase. And i said may increase, but i think that horsepower will definitely decrease.

Comment

yeah i think im gonna get a hood at a junkyard so i dont eff mine up incase i make a mistake. Gonna experiment!!!!!! I'll post pics when i get around to it, a little short on funds at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                  Your torque may increase. And i said may increase, but i think that horsepower will definitely decrease.
                  I think you MAY have it backwards, please correct me if I'm wrong: Short runners (such as ITB's) or a short/bigger diameter intake (short ram) will help in the high end w/ gains in HP but a loss in torque, b/c torque is down in the low-mid range.

A longer/smaller diameter intake (CAI) or long runners will bring out maximum torque in the low-mid but HP numbers would go down alittle.

So the filter directly on the T/B would give more HP at the high end and the torque numbers would go down.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7
                    I think you MAY have it backwards, please correct me if I'm wrong: Short runners (such as ITB's) or a short/bigger diameter intake (short ram) will help in the high end w/ gains in HP but a loss in torque, b/c torque is down in the low-mid range.

A longer/smaller diameter intake (CAI) or long runners will bring out maximum torque in the low-mid but HP numbers would go down alittle.

So the filter directly on the T/B would give more HP at the high end and the torque numbers would go down.
                    The whole purpose of the intake pipe is to get away from the hot engine bay. Putting a filter on the tb will definitely increase the response, thus i theorized the torque increase. But in high end the filter on the TB wont carry as much air velocity as the short ram so i figured there wont bemuch of a hp increase.

Comment

im not sure if it was just for the pic, but its been done... courtesy of mrmike.

and before you ask, yes... that is a hytech header.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                        The whole purpose of the intake pipe is to get away from the hot engine bay. Putting a filter on the tb will definitely increase the response, thus i theorized the torque increase. But in high end the filter on the TB wont carry as much air velocity as the short ram so i figured there wont bemuch of a hp increase.
                        Yes, you're right, it will def. increase throttle response greatly, even on the low end. Another purpose of the intake pipe is to tailor to your needs by either making it long or short, that alters where the engine will make the most of it's power. An intake won't cut it though, applied w/ the right cam(s) and exhaust set-up, you can setup your engine to make the most power anywhere in the RPM range.

I've heard this many times, in general torque is on the low end and horsepower is on the high end. A B18C5 revs like crazy, and makes good HP b/c of the revs creating rotational kinetic energy. It doesn't put out good torque b/c torque is down on the low end and it's a high revving motor. Any V8 usually makes amazing torque, and it's mostly on the low end, but HP wise, not as much b/c most don't need to rev that high to make power.

So, from what I've learned (I'm not an expert) these will help for the following:
                        High end HP- ITB's or a 4-1 header
                        Low end Torque-CAI or a 4-2-1 header or even a long flowing intake manifold

The length and diameter of the runners on an intake, intake manifold, or a header can greatly alter where the engine makes it's best power.

Someone please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong at all! Just trying to share

Comment

I believe you have it backwards. ^^

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                          where you been, is something wrong?
                          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                            I believe you have it backwards. ^^
                            i believe you have it fowards^^

Comment

who cares just dont run a filter at all, what kind of water hose is that?
                              H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Working...
                              X