Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Bottom End Rebuild Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom End Rebuild Help

So after a year and a half I am (hopefully) finally getting another cb7. She's a green 93 (I think LX) two door with oem fat 5 spoke rims.

I already have a daily and am thinking about redoing everything on this car because I want to.

​​​​​​​I want to rebuild the engine but don't know what to get. I found full engine rebuild kits for 300ish but I doubt they are any good.

What should I buy? Should I do any performance upgrades while I'm redoing the bottom end?

Im trying to keep it as cheap as possible while still getting good parts.
    Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

Originally posted by Rat View Post
    So after a year and a half I am (hopefully) finally getting another cb7. She's a green 93 (I think LX) two door with oem fat 5 spoke rims.

I already have a daily and am thinking about redoing everything on this car because I want to.

​​​​​​​I want to rebuild the engine but don't know what to get. I found full engine rebuild kits for 300ish but I doubt they are any good.

What should I buy? Should I do any performance upgrades while I'm redoing the bottom end?

Im trying to keep it as cheap as possible while still getting good parts.
    First, set and/or figure out what you want your end goal to be. Then, proceed from there. Right now, it seems as if you're just shooting in the dark with no specific target in mind. Pick something specific to aim at.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Also take cheap out of the equation. If you are building it, then you want turbo / power. If you want turbo power you want a reliable car as well. Fast + reliable doesn't happen long with cheap.
      Most decisions you run into (ie: should I buy this turbo manifold or that one) you'll decide for the expensive one. It's reliable, the tuner suggests it, it breaks less, leaks less, and probably looks better (shiny). But as StraightSuccess mentioned, first determine your HP goal. If you have not driven a 300HP car, make sure you do before deciding. or 400HP, sometimes there's a comfort limit of HP people want. & faster doesn't always mean better.

Cheers

Comment

Im looking to make it reliable. I am not looking to do a turbo build, thats just out of my ballpark. I dont need to be making big numbers, Im just looking to make the engine good and reliable and want to know what i should put into the engine while im in there.

Comment

Order all OEM Honda components then. They should be able to be had for a non-bank-account-breaking type of build. Your dealer may even give you a deal/discount as the parts are probably sitting around collecting dust in some national distribution warehouse.
          Last edited by Straight Success; 03-10-2021, 04:49 PM.
          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Awesome, so just good ol OEM Honda stuff. Easy. I usually use Fel-Pro for all my gaskets. Is Honda OEM better than Fel-Pro or should the Fel-Pro gasket kits be just fine?

Comment

Can anyone think of any OEM parts he would avoid? (Ie: H22 timing belt tensioner)

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I checked out the car today and bought it. The car has 260,000 miles but drives amazing. I dont actually know if ill be doing a bottom end rebuild. Should I only do it if its needed?

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                  Thanks for all your input. I checked out the car today and bought it. The car has 260,000 miles but drives amazing. I dont actually know if ill be doing a bottom end rebuild. Should I only do it if its needed?
                  Yep, only if needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X