Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

inexpensive setup if i have the bottle already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inexpensive setup if i have the bottle already

i bought a 15lb nitrous bottle thats full and im trying to find a setup withpout the bottle. the guy that sold it to me said i can get lines and solinoids for 50 bucks on ebay. i knew it was a lie but i got it for cheap anyway so now im trying to find everything to make a nitrous setup. i would love a wet setup but i know there more expensive, im just trying to get a cheap setup cause the "battle of the imports" is sept 22 and im trying to run a little better time. I am only trying to do like a 75 shot or something. I would love if someone had some info on how to put an inexpensive setup together. i dont want to do anything dangerous but im trying to get a setup real quick to have fun for a day on a tight budget. i know this is a super newb post but i would love some info.

The guy that sold it to you lied.
    Even on ebay, the lines aren't that cheap, and you need two of them. A long one and a short one. Plan on dropping closer to $75 - 100 for the lines alone. Then you also need the solenoid, an arming switch, and the trigger. Also , look at the stamping around the neck of the bottle. Most places won't fill a bottle manufactured more than 5 years ago.
    Here's what you'll need for the most basic dry setup:

Bottle - you've got it.

Line from bottle to solenoid - $50-75
    Solenoid - $50-75
    Line from solenoid to intake - $25
    Nozzle (sprays the n2o into the intake) - $20
    Jet or pill (the little nozzle that controls how much spray you use) - $10
    Arming switch, - $5
    Push button switch or - $5
    (my preference, less dangerous to the engine) a WOT microswitch. - $15Electrical wiring - $10

I think that's it.

Watch CL, you can usually find used n2o kits pretty cheap.

I'd recommend starting with a 50 shot, then if your engine takes that, up to the 75, but then you need to retard the timing, change the plugs to a colder plug, and I'd keep an ear out for detonation (pinging, leaning out) when you use it. 75 is a pretty big dry shot for an engine as old as ours are.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
      The guy that sold it to you lied.
      Even on ebay, the lines aren't that cheap, and you need two of them. A long one and a short one. Plan on dropping closer to $75 - 100 for the lines alone. Then you also need the solenoid, an arming switch, and the trigger. Also , look at the stamping around the neck of the bottle. Most places won't fill a bottle manufactured more than 5 years ago.
      Here's what you'll need for the most basic dry setup:

Bottle - you've got it.

Line from bottle to solenoid - $50-75
      Solenoid - $50-75
      Line from solenoid to intake - $25
      Nozzle (sprays the n2o into the intake) - $20
      Jet or pill (the little nozzle that controls how much spray you use) - $10
      Arming switch, - $5
      Push button switch or - $5
      (my preference, less dangerous to the engine) a WOT microswitch. - $15Electrical wiring - $10

I think that's it.

Watch CL, you can usually find used n2o kits pretty cheap.

I'd recommend starting with a 50 shot, then if your engine takes that, up to the 75, but then you need to retard the timing, change the plugs to a colder plug, and I'd keep an ear out for detonation (pinging, leaning out) when you use it. 75 is a pretty big dry shot for an engine as old as ours are.
      SWEET, thanks. and i knew he was lying but i got a full 15 lb nos brand bottle for 40$ so i wasn't about to pass it up. and i will keep it at a 50, i want to have some fun not a blown motor. dont people run up to 150 shots though? is that because they have wet setups? And thank you very much.

Comment

so im looking on ebay and it says #6 size and they list a bunch of other sizes. what size line do i need? im putting the solenoid on my firewall and bottle where my passenger floorboard so i only need like 7' of line between both lines. im hoping this will help with keeping the cost down and i wont have to climb into the trunk everytime i wanna turn it on.

Comment

I wouldn't hit an unbuilt f22ax motor with a 150 shot, even wet. The rule of thumb is no more than half your horsepower on a stock motor. If you're mounting it on the passenger floorboard, you can definitely save some money on the lines. A couple of 36 inch lines should do it. You shouldn't need more than a 4an line and the same size fittings.
          Also, mount the nozzle in the intake tube, about 6-12" away from the throttle body. I've got a Cold Fusion wet kit, and they said 6-18 inches. IIRC, it's about 16 inches from my nozzle to my TB, but most people mount their's a little closer than I did.

Comment

I wouldn't hit an unbuilt f22ax motor with a 150 shot, even wet. The rule of thumb is no more than half your horsepower on a stock motor. If you're mounting it on the passenger floorboard, you can definitely save some money on the lines. A couple of 36 inch lines should do it. You shouldn't need more than a 4an line and the same size fittings.
            Also, mount the nozzle in the intake tube, about 6-12" away from the throttle body. I've got a Cold Fusion wet kit, and they said 6-18 inches. IIRC, it's about 16 inches from my nozzle to my TB, but most people mount their's a little closer than I did.
            okay. oh shit i thought you were supposed to put wet in the plenum. and i have a h22 if that makes any difference. any solenoid or type you suggest? is there a certain kind i should be looking for or do they all do the same thing? and are the solenoids the same for v8's and hondas? and are the solenoids for specifically for fuel or nitrous or do they interchange?

Comment

Originally posted by crashandburn930 View Post
              okay. oh shit i thought you were supposed to put wet in the plenum. and i have a h22 if that makes any difference. any solenoid or type you suggest? is there a certain kind i should be looking for or do they all do the same thing? and are the solenoids the same for v8's and hondas? and are the solenoids for specifically for fuel or nitrous or do they interchange?
              Fuel and n2o solenoids are specific to fuel and n2o, but any n2o solenoid should be fine, the pill in the nozzle is what controls your hp. I wouldn't spray directly into the plenum, it would concentrate too much of the shot into a couple of cylinders more than the others and that would be a bad thing. There is a direct injection setup, in which each runner of the intake manifold gets it's own jet. I'm thinking about going that route when I build my next motor.

Comment

Fuel and n2o solenoids are specific to fuel and n2o, but any n2o solenoid should be fine, the pill in the nozzle is what controls your hp. I wouldn't spray directly into the plenum, it would concentrate too much of the shot into a couple of cylinders more than the others and that would be a bad thing. There is a direct injection setup, in which each runner of the intake manifold gets it's own jet. I'm thinking about going that route when I build my next motor.
                okay sweet. yeah my friend has a direct port wet setup on his y8 ek. that shit is crazy!

Comment

Working...
                X