Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ive read about the laughin gas....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive read about the laughin gas....

i have read in the JCWhitny book that you shouldnt use Nitrous with mods that advance your timing. but whats he point when most of if not all of the cars out there that are modded hav some kind of advancement on the engine. if i get new cam gears can i use nitrous w/o worring about it messin up my motor?

you can retard your timing with camgears...

ILBB
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

advance timing is completley differnt from advancing ur engine........i dont much about nitrios but from wat i gather....u dont have to unless ur goin with a crazy big shot but like ilbb said if u get adjustable cam grears its good to retard ur timing a lil bit
      Last edited by Mike; 12-07-2005, 06:21 PM.

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
        advance timing is differnt from advancing ur engine.....
        Advanced igntion timing and Advanced valve timing.They are both bad for nitrous.
        People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
        The world needs to be reset.

Comment

no...wat i ment is.....its sounds like hes misunderstanding jcwhitney thinkin advace timing has to do with adding horse power or sumthing

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

advancing ur engine (puting performance parts in ur engine) is differnt from advance the timing

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Please research more. You shouldn't even be thinking about using nitrous if you have to ask these questions. JCWhitney puts that in the advertisement as an idiot-safety warning, kind of like "WARNING: DO NOT INSERT GENITALS INTO BLENDER"

Comment

haha can i use that as a quote in my sig?

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Be my guest

Comment

ok NONE of yall read what i typed. i asked can i out nitrous on a car that has advanced timing on it. i kno u can get HP from advancing the timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1
                      i have read in the JCWhitny book that you shouldnt use Nitrous with mods that advance your timing. but whats he point when most of if not all of the cars out there that are modded hav some kind of advancement on the engine. if i get new cam gears can i use nitrous w/o worring about it messin up my motor?
                      ok.......yes most cars that have nitrios on there car have advancements on there engine...but they dont have advance timing becuase yes avanced timing like jcwhitney said is bad for nitrios...if u got new cam gears it would not mess it up becuase on the cam gear it self it has an adjustment that enables u to adavnce or retard ur timing.....u can keep it at stock timming and it will be fine...but it helps if u retard ur timing a littlebit but. it is not needed unless ur running a very large shot or if ur full out racing not so much for a good a idea for a daily driver

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1
                        ok NONE of yall read what i typed. i asked can i put nitrous on a car that has advanced timing on it. i kno u can get HP from advancing the timing.
                        It depends on the compression of the motor, the octane fuel you wish to use, and how much the ignition timing is advanced. Stop saying advanced timing tho because there are many types of timing. The timing your refering to is the igntion timing. Generally your supposed to retard the ignition timing about 1-2 degree per 50-75 shot of nitrous. The point of it is to decrease the chances of detonation which can either be accomplished by higher octane fuel, retarding the ign. timing or having low compression in the first place.
                        Nitrous seems to love 11:1 compression and thats the compression most ppl run when they choose that route. In their case, yes, advancing the ignition could do some heavy damage to the internals...they need to retard the ignition accordingly.
                        Last edited by MRX; 12-09-2005, 03:07 PM.
                        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

haha i love this thread

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                            It depends on the compression of the motor, the octane fuel you wish to use, and how much the ignition timing is advanced. Stop saying advanced timing tho because there are many types of timing. The timing your refering to is the igntion timing. Generally your supposed to retard the ignition timing about 1-2 degree per 50-75 shot of nitrous. The point of it is to decrease the chances of detonation which can either be accomplished by higher octane fuel, retarding the ign. timing or having low compression in the first place.
                            Nitrous seems to love 11:1 compression and thats the compression most ppl run when they choose that route. In their case, yes, advancing the ignition could do some heavy damage to the internals...they need to retard the ignition accordingly.
                            I was going to post unitl I realized Antoine said everything I was going to. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x

thank you for answering my question. and you to mike.

Comment

Working...
                              X