Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liquid polyurethane filled shock bushings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid polyurethane filled shock bushings???

My shock bushings are fucked but I don't wanna go through drilling and everything to get the old ones out. Plus I am cheap. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has used McMasters type liquid polyurethane to re-fill shock mount bushings. I know people have used them for other links but not the shocks.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

What weird timing, I literally JUST did this over the weekend. Was doing 94A mounts all around, and already have the whole Prothane Total kit installed w/ Hardrace r. trailing and r. knuckle/shock mount bushings, so the whole car was redone. I saved all the sleeves too.

I poured my own 94A RSM's b/c my Hardrace ones did not handle my D2 7K r. spring very well, even after a year. They are not installed yet (curing), but I'm really looking forward to seeing what the results are, the 94A is crazy!!!

Oh, I completely gutted all the rubber and used metal repair tape to float the inner sleeve, this leaves some adjustablity while having it remain held stationary!

Comment

^^Though I consider and appreciate your statement, I'm not sure that modifying your suspension bushes is the best idea, let alone shock bushes which take the brunt of the force.
      Sure people have done suspension bushes DIY before, IMO get the proper bushes No matter what budget you are on.
      Com'on people, Safety comes first.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I personally wouldn't mess with it, as they probably undergo some fairly severe twisting forces by virtue of the fact they are located at the pivot point of the shock.

Cheap wouldn't be my first choice here. What happened to modding it right? It hasn't even been a week yet.

Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
          I personally wouldn't mess with it, as they probably undergo some fairly severe twisting forces by virtue of the fact they are located at the pivot point of the shock.

Cheap wouldn't be my first choice here. What happened to modding it right? It hasn't even been a week yet.

Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two.
          Twisting forces would be spread more through other linkages, shocks only take those kinds of forces in MacPherson setups

Oh well it looks like I will be doing some drilling

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
            Twisting forces would be spread more through other linkages, shocks only take those kinds of forces in MacPherson setups

Oh well it looks like I will be doing some drilling
            No, if you look at how the rear suspension operates, the shock is pivoting around the lower control arm. When the control arm articulates and the shock doesn't rotate, there is a twisting force imposed on that bushing...
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
            X