Some basic suspension checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chirs190E16v View Post
    Freeplay is different in all cars. Some you can check when the cars on the ground. Some you have to check while it's in the air. Some you have to check while its in the air with something supporting the wheel with a light load.
    I dissagree, "Freeplay" is the same on anything.
    Btw play on honda's should be checked with the wheels off the ground.
    If you get an 08 Honda Legend, and do the test with the wheels in the air with something supporting the wheel with a light load, and check the bottom balljoints, they will have play - But they don't have "Freeplay"
    Honda Balljoints have a nylon cup which allows some form of flex under load which is normal.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Less than a year ago, both side of my upper control arms and tie rod ends boots were split. I read many places that if the grease was still clean and the ball joint still look good, that I can just replace the boots. It's almost a year now and changing just the boots, no sign of failure. What are the chances that these components would fail without symptoms now?
      It's been driving pretty smooth and no free play when I check yesterday.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
        Less than a year ago, both side of my upper control arms and tie rod ends boots were split. I read many places that if the grease was still clean and the ball joint still look good, that I can just replace the boots. It's almost a year now and changing just the boots, no sign of failure. What are the chances that these components would fail without symptoms now?
        It's been driving pretty smooth and no free play when I check yesterday.

Thanks,
        Ultimately a split allows dirt and dust to get in.
        Unless you can genuinely prove the grease is "clean" then there is always the possibility of excessive wear on the joint.
        A steel ball rubbing on a nylon bush is OK, But add a bit of dirt and dust, and I'm sure you can imagine the effects.

Sure, yours has lasted since you changed the boots with "no issue" but can you honestly tell me there hasn't been more wear than normal?
        In NZ we don't sell Boots, You buy the whole joint or nothing.

The chances of them failing are more likely than an unsplit boot, that's really all I can say.
        As to how long it will take is anyones guess.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
          Ultimately a split allows dirt and dust to get in.
          Unless you can genuinely prove the grease is "clean" then there is always the possibility of excessive wear on the joint.
          A steel ball rubbing on a nylon bush is OK, But add a bit of dirt and dust, and I'm sure you can imagine the effects.

Sure, yours has lasted since you changed the boots with "no issue" but can you honestly tell me there hasn't been more wear than normal?
          In NZ we don't sell Boots, You buy the whole joint or nothing.

The chances of them failing are more likely than an unsplit boot, that's really all I can say.
          As to how long it will take is anyones guess.
          Thanks for the input. That pic below your post, is that part of NZ? It's beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
            Thanks for the input. That pic below your post, is that part of NZ? It's beautiful.
            Yes it is, its actually my parents lawn

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

oh god they should be checked every 6 month, well i got the car given to me 6 months ago and when i took off the struts to replace them yesturday, i noticed i was still rolling on stocks for almost 20 year, omg they were so shot it wasnt even funny!
              On To The Next One!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335 View Post
                Colin, my LBJ snapped off while I was cruising. Funny thing is, I sent the car for a routine service 2 days prior, and did a whole undercarriage check, checked my brakes and such. All was good, no free play and such.

Cruising at around 100-110km/h, and this happened:

omg dude that is insane i would be so freaked out if that happened to my car!
                On To The Next One!!!

Comment

Tranny?? What inside the tranny can be causing this massive vibration? My car has to be off in aligment and my tires are not that good but it never dud ut until i upgraded the tranny and got the esp mount

Comment

still dont get how this happens

Comment

Been checking my car regularly after reading this, found some play in the passenger outer tie rod a few days ago, parts already shipped out to replace them and the ball joints except for the front uppers, which are going to be re booted. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Working...
                      X