Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alignment Question

Hi all.

I recently had to replace my front tires. It seems that after 22,000 miles they went bald. What concerned me was the uneven wear across the tread. The inner was a lot more worn, almost like I have a camber issue. I am NOT lowered at this time.

When I was talking to the tire tech he said that his assumption is there's a mechanical problem with the suspension and its not the tire at fault (I can't deny it, but I don't abuse my tires either). Now that I know this I notice that when my car is sitting on the ground, it does look like my tire has a slight camber.

Can this be fixed with an alignment/adjustment. I have recently had ball joints/tie rods/cv joints done. My car has also developed a nasty vibration on acceleration. The tire tech said I might be on dead sturts, but my car doesn't seem to sit any lower than it is.

My concern is that I have a set of Neuspeed Sport Springs (1.7/1.5) and KYB AGX struts to go on soon, I was planning on getting a full alignment at that point. However, if I'm already showing signs of camber wear does that mean that when I lower the car I will have even more severe camber wear? I was thinking about not doing a camber kit with these springs because people I talk to that have this setup have run no camber kit and 17's without any dangerous tire wear.

I just put on a new set of front tires, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a nice set of 17's in the future, and I don't want to blow through tires. Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I going to need to invest in a camber kit when I put the springs on?

When was the last time you had an alignment done? It doesn't just stay in place from the factory, escially after fifteen years it's going to need to be done more often. On my car, when I went to have it aligned they told me they could not get it aligned properly because the bushing were frozen in the control arms and they could not adjust it. Most likely though, you'll get the new shocks/struts on and get it aligned, then don't forget to get another alignment in a few weeks after it has settled, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

*edit* You shouldn't need a camber kit unless you go below 2in. If you have the money though, it couldn't hurt.
    -Jay

Comment

yea i got to get that done too. i have pretty bad camber on my front passanger side. How much might it cost to get alignment done?
      The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
      Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
      Check out my JDM F22B swap
      Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Depends on your area, why don't you grab a phone book and look for a shop with a special?
        The short answer is $50.
        -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejayde
          When was the last time you had an alignment done? It doesn't just stay in place from the factory, escially after fifteen years it's going to need to be done more often. On my car, when I went to have it aligned they told me they could not get it aligned properly because the bushing were frozen in the control arms and they could not adjust it. Most likely though, you'll get the new shocks/struts on and get it aligned, then don't forget to get another alignment in a few weeks after it has settled, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

*edit* You shouldn't need a camber kit unless you go below 2in. If you have the money though, it couldn't hurt.
          So my question is this. Will this solve my stock height camber issue and tire wear problem? Also, should this cure any acceleration based vibration?

Comment

It should. Even if it doesn't, and you discover another problem(like I did), you've still done something for your car that needed to be done.
            -Jay

Comment

if you are wearing through the tires... the alignment will help. Camber will not tear up the tires by itself, unless it is very extreme.

Your tie rods being replaced effects the toe in and toe out of the car(how much closer or farther away from the body the front to rear is).

A 4 wheel alignment will usually run you ~80, 2 wheel being around 50. Get it done, and you should be set.

Comment

Working...
              X