lower ball joints question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lower ball joints question

I have a 92 lx and my lower ball joint thread is stripped and doesn't has a bolt I would like to know how hard is it to change the lower ball joint with hand tools btw I have not been driving the car I been walking to work everyday since I know its dangerous

You will have to get access to the ball joint press tool, you'll have to press it out and press it in.

Comment

Thanks I have to get it fixed soon as possible

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and assume you can pull the knuckle off the car. DIY style would be as follows: first pull of the LBJ boot, take a deep socket (19mm is a good size) and hammer, afew good hits and she should be out. Long before install, put new LBJ in freezer, just before install heat the area of cast iron that would surround LBJ. Install LBJ w/ hammer. You can hammer the LBJ directly or a steel plate on top keeps the top cap from getting completely beat up. I think that about sums it up and be careful not to chew up ends of the wheel studs esp. if you work on a rough surface. Also, sometimes aftermarket LBJs also use a snap ring, something to look at when you buy it, if you don't have snap ring pliers. Even if you don't it's not the end of the world.
        Last edited by Granite CB7; 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Thankz I will give it a try im going with oem Honda lbj I will keep yall updated while im at it I will replace my lower control arm tie rod and bushings

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordkidd View Post
            Thankz I will give it a try im going with oem Honda lbj I will keep yall updated while im at it I will replace my lower control arm tie rod and bushings
            I've heard NAPA has good ones made under their name.....
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Good choice, honda balljoints are very good quality. Original CB LBJ uses a snap ring, the new ones do not.

^I think the napa's are made by moog, pretty good quality. Those use a snap ring.

Comment

I usually clamp the knuckle in a vise, much easier.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

update

Car is fixed replaced lower control arm with one from the junkyard the lower ball joint got replaced with one from autozone with lifetime warranty thanks for the input everyone

Comment

^nice work. Def. check on that duralast lbj often, some of them don't last very long, just saying

Comment

Sure will can't beat the price for 30 bucks

Comment

How did you end up installing it? What did you use?
                        Sold to:
                        GunRunner,mtnickel,SanJoCaF22DrAcc,sikz6,daovangph otos,megarock15,
                        Purchased From :cb95spd,"sleepin"

Comment

Sure will can't beat the price for 30 bucks
                          When your ball joint snaps and you crash, I bet you will be glad you saved a few bucks.
                          wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                            When your ball joint snaps and you crash, I bet you will be glad you saved a few bucks.
                            lol dramatic much? I put a duralast balljoint on my Civic and it was fine.

I just had to replace a 6 month old Dorman upper control arm, the boot on the BJ cracked and destroyed the BJ.

Honda lower balljoints retail for $25 each.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                              lol dramatic much? I put a duralast balljoint on my Civic and it was fine.

I just had to replace a 6 month old Dorman upper control arm, the boot on the BJ cracked and destroyed the BJ.

Honda lower balljoints retail for $25 each.
                              Yeah I know, lol. I just don't understand why you would buy anything else when OEM is so affordable.
                              wat?

Comment

Working...
                              X