Rack sloshing/Powersteering noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack sloshing/Powersteering noise

My P/S pump is making noise. I topped the fluid and bled it, jacked it up and turned the wheels side to side. It made the noise go away for a bit but it came back slowly.

I got under the car and noticed a "squishing" or "sloshing" noise coming from the rack, along with a ripped drivers side boot. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fluid down there.

Does the rack normally make a sloshing noise, or is this a sign that a rack seal is toasted?

Was considering rebuilding pump with new gaskets but think the rack is the real problem.

Sounds like time to convert to manual rack.

Comment

Ah, unfortunately I'm probably going to be selling the car, but if that option is cheaper than maybe it's a good idea.

I've already torn out the A/C. Put a rebuilt head on it only 3k ago. Body is ugly. I don't know if that would hurt the resale value for the typical buyer or not.

Hmm. Not sure what to do.

But you are saying you think the rack is trashed, yeah?

Comment

I'm thinking it may need a rebuild. The bushings are not expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
          I'm thinking it may need a rebuild. The bushings are not expensive.
          Ok, fair enough, it might not be trashed, but in other words you think the rack has an issue which needs to be rectified through replacement and repair. Thanks.

Any second opinions?

Edit: I'd add that there isn't any bubbles in the reservoir that I notice, I'm not even sure if the rack has problems, the only symptom is the sloshing noise (only can hear under the car with engine off) and the pump squealing.
          Last edited by aluminum13; 12-28-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Just for kicks, remove the p/s belt to bypass the pump. You could have issues w/ the pump and the rack, but start w/ the simplest first. If yours is making horrible noises and it's hard to turn the pulley by hand, grab another @ the junkyard. From memory, the rack will make some weird noises w/ the engine off Focus on the pump first, leave the rack alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
              Just for kicks, remove the p/s belt to bypass the pump. You could have issues w/ the pump and the rack, but start w/ the simplest first. If yours is making horrible noises and it's hard to turn the pulley by hand, grab another @ the junkyard. From memory, the rack will make some weird noises w/ the engine off Focus on the pump first, leave the rack alone.
              Hmm. I took the belt off and found no problems turning it by hand. But the pump does seem to be a source of noise when it's running. Not a belt slipping noise.

I hate to just throw money at things but maybe I'll try a rebuild kit on the pump, though I don't know if it's the gaskets (that's what the rebuild kit comes with) or a bearing, which I don't know if I can buy somewhere.

Fluid smells kinda burnt.

Comment

The pump is really easy to turn by hand? It should nicely glide w/ hardly any resistance even when using the nut to turn it, not the pulley (still by hand). It's def. the pump making this noise and not the alt. or a/c comp? The the good old screwdriver to the ear trick (stethoscope) works well if you haven't done that yet. Is there any play in the bearings of the pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                  The pump is really easy to turn by hand? It should nicely glide w/ hardly any resistance even when using the nut to turn it, not the pulley (still by hand). It's def. the pump making this noise and not the alt. or a/c comp? The the good old screwdriver to the ear trick (stethoscope) works well if you haven't done that yet. Is there any play in the bearings of the pump?
                  Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow, but I can say:

- when i removed the belt and started it up the sound stopped
                  - i replaced the belt with a new one, which didn't do much
                  - it seemed to glide pretty nice, which i found surprising because it sounds bad
                  - i didn't stethoscope it but based on vibration with hand it seemed to be source of the problem, one day it just started making noise and slowly it got worse, but it's not terrible, it's somewhat variable

so i have to check the bearing for play.

edit: fwiw the A/C bearing died and/or something jammed with it 25k ago and i took out the whole compressor, but it's not the same kinda of noise that was.
                  Last edited by aluminum13; 12-28-2012, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I guess the idea is could a leak in the rack/somewhere in the system cause the pump to make noise? Does that make sense? (allows air to get into system?)

Comment

Yeah, usually the loud p/s pumps are very hard to turn over by hand, which makes sense. Do you have any leaks? If there's any doubts about the a/c comp., you could always remove all the acc. belts and see what goes away and what doesn't go away. One thing I remembered, make sure the feed line to the p/s pump isn't kinked, that'll cause some trouble! I guess you're on the right track if you got the noise to stop w/ the p/s belt removed.

Comment

Oh I took it one step further with the AC, i didn't remove the belt, i removed the whole compressor! Def. not that.

Right now I've took off all the stuff on the side (the front) of the engine as well as the pump and alt, i want to redo some seals, leaking oil.

As far as P/S goes, i'm not sure if it's the rack, or if it is it's a very small leak. I don't have to refill it ever really, i think i just lost fluid disconnecting the lines. I'm going to try some Lucas fluid (my old fluid smells burnt) but i think that whatever is wrong is probably in the pump. Maybe something with the rack but i don't think it's dead yet.

Comment

Do not use anything but Honda p/s fluid! That lucas crap is not the right stuff and knowing lucas it's prob. too thick anyway. You'll read how important this is on this site.

Comment

I do have honda fluid in there now. I see mixed reviews on the Lucas. I'm not really a fan of additives.

I found one PS line that looks greasy, but everything under there looks greasy. It might the source of a small leak. Or it's motor oil getting on it from the cam seal (or something else, balance shaft seal?, currently got all the belts off).

Still in progress...

If that line is a P/S leak, then I'll run a test and see if fixing that and doing nothing else fixes my squealing pump.

Comment

mine cries like a puppy dog only when i turn hard either direction on cold days.
                              frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Working...
                              X