Question re rear trailing arms, disc brake knuckles, and e-brake cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re rear trailing arms, disc brake knuckles, and e-brake cables

About to start assembling parts for a suspension rebuild on a '91 EX wagon that will include an upgrade to rear disc brakes (and probably a 5 lug conversion). We're fortunate to have 6 Pick & Pull locations in a 50 mile radius of Sacramento that consistently have 92-93 EX's & 1st gen Odyessys in the yards, which should make it possible to source most of the major parts at fairly reasonable cost.

Before pulling knuckles and e-brake cables, I'd like to verify what several online Honda parts vendor catalogs indicate:
    • that all 90-93 CB7/9 Accords (both rear drum & disc) use the same trailing arms (part # 52371-SM4-A01 [right] & 52372-SM4-A01 [left]) - if this is correct, disc brake knuckles should bolt up to drum brake trailing arms.
    • that all 92-93 rear disc brake cars (EX, SE & wagons) use the same rear knuckles (part # 52111-SM4-911 [right] & 52116-SM4-911 [left])
    • and that all that all rear disc brake cars use the same e-brake cables (part # 47510-SM1-A53 [right] and 47560-SM1-A52 [left]).
    If the above is NOT correct, there's one 93 EX wagon in a yard about 2 hours north of me, but I'd rather avoid the having to make the 4 hour round trip if I can get the needed parts locally.

The parts listed above are correct.

All of the cars use the same trailing arms and the knuckle bolts to them.

All of the cars that use disc brakes have the same knuckles and e-brake cables.

The only notable difference about the wagon that you mentioned is that it has larger brake pistons in its rear calipers (if they are still original). This is a bit of a brake upgrade if you’re interested in that aspect.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Thanks for the info - been finding conflicting data in various online catalogs (some show no wagon-specific parts, some show calipers and lower control arms as wagon-specific but appear to show everything else as common to all disc brake models). Parts guys at the local dealer said the factory parts database shows the knuckles, calipers, rotors, hubs, e-brake cables and lower control arms as unique to wagons.

With wagons being heavier, calipers with bigger pistons make sense, as do the cast lower arms, but it doesn't seem logical that Honda would use unique knuckles, rotors, hubs and brake cables on a relatively low production model.

As long as the knuckles and brake cables interchange between coupes/sedans and wagons, I'm good to go - reman wagon calipers are available as are either stock wagon rotors and hubs or Type R rotors and Prelude hubs if the decision is to go 5 lug.

Comment

I am quite sure that my rear disc swap came from a CD Accord. If those are easier to find, you can pull trailing arm/knuckles from one and swap it right over.

Edit: Reread first post, let me add context.

I have a CB9, did a rear disc swap. Just took everthing from some CD Accord at the junk yard. Including ebrake cables. I ended up doing a big brake upgrade in the rear so I wasn't worried about the size of wagon calipers vs sedan.
        I took the ebrake cables as well, but for brake lines the CD Accord ones fit, but so do rear disc brake lines for our cars.
        Last edited by Frijoles; 03-02-2023, 07:06 AM.

Comment

For now at least, plan is to convert the 91's rear drums to 92-93 wagon-spec rear discs. If the weather cooperates (it's REALLY wet in NorCal), will pull knuckles, hubs, rotors & e-brake cables from a CB7 SE this week, will still need a pair of wagon rear calipers. 94-95 CD wagon rear calipers are easier to find, but have seen conflicting info as to whether they're interchangeable with CB9 units - anyone know one way or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by oldcarguy6547 View Post
            For now at least, plan is to convert the 91's rear drums to 92-93 wagon-spec rear discs. If the weather cooperates (it's REALLY wet in NorCal), will pull knuckles, hubs, rotors & e-brake cables from a CB7 SE this week, will still need a pair of wagon rear calipers. 94-95 CD wagon rear calipers are easier to find, but have seen conflicting info as to whether they're interchangeable with CB9 units - anyone know one way or the other?
            CD rear calipers are interchangeable with CB rear calipers, the unique wagon rear calipers did not continue into the CD generation however.

Comment

It's not any wagon calipers that work either. It's specific to only 92-93 EX wagons. The LX's don't have the bigger calipers. The only other part unique to the wagon is the lower control arms. All the rest is exactly the same. So your going to have to have to find a top of the line EX wagon for the calipers. They are hard to find these days, but my buddy and myself just happened to find 2 sets in the yards in the last few months. It's possible but they are few and far between.

Also the CD e-brake cables are a bit longer than ours but work just fine.
              Last edited by Rilas; 03-21-2023, 10:07 AM.
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Omg I didn’t know the added level of complexity between EX and LX rear calipers. Rilas, your encyclopedic CB knowledge is remarkable.

Comment

As I think I mentioned in another thread a bit ago, I'm thoroughly annoyed with myself where wagon rear calipers and cables are concerned - late last year, there were TWO EX wagons (a '92 & a '93) in the P&P yard closest to me, a 3rd at another P&P about 30 miles away and a 4th 60 miles north and I didn't get the rear disc parts from any of 'em. I was even at the yard and pulled the wagon lower control arms off one for spares on the last 40% off weekend they had.

Of course, all four have now been crushed - no telling when another wagon will turn up within reasonable driving distance.

Comment

Working...
                  X