Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT suspension set-up are you running? And how would you rate it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
    MNdude hates aftermarket coil-overs as much as deev hates g22's LOL
    I have long talks with him about those . I deff second that too!!!
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
      I have long talks with him about those . I deff second that too!!!
      I do think he likes AMR coilovers though! He said it once or twice in a few threads.

Me personally, I'm such a perfectionist that I'll adjust my suspension (springs, shocks, camber kit, etc.) until it sits the way I want, handles the way I want, and stays that way when I put it there. I don't think I can do that with drop springs. Right now, my back isn't perfect, so I'm taking measurements to get it to the perfect place that I need it to be. Now that I have my SPC fronts installed, the front may be coming down another 0.25" or so.
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
        MNdude hates aftermarket coil-overs as much as deev hates g22's LOL
        Yes he does... for the same basic reason... the intended purpose is often compromised by attributes that are beyond the understanding of the ignorant tuner.

I'm actually right there with him. A "race" suspension setup isn't made to handle public roads. And honestly, I don't believe there are any TRUE "race" setups for our cars... because there aren't enough serious race drivers that drive 20 year old Accords out there to give a company reason to properly R&D them! Some of the older companies designed decent setups for the CD, and marketed them to us simply because they'll bolt up. The cars are similar enough that they work, but they're not identical... so they're not "made for us". Most of the coilovers on the market are nothing more than super-stiff springs slapped onto struts with threaded bodies for collar adjustment. I could get a set of $50 Dropzone sleeves, weld the collar to a set of $100 Monroe shocks, paint them some "JDM" color, and sell set for $350... and people would gladly pay me an extra $200 for that garbage, just because it's a "full coilover".
        The ONLY full coilover setup I know of that has taken the CB chassis in particular into consideration is Form and Function Autolife, with their Type 2 coilover... and even those are regarded (by the company) as a "performance street suspension". The average enthusiast could take them on a track, but they're not made as an all-out race setup.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Yes he does... for the same basic reason... the intended purpose is often compromised by attributes that are beyond the understanding of the ignorant tuner.

I'm actually right there with him. A "race" suspension setup isn't made to handle public roads. And honestly, I don't believe there are any TRUE "race" setups for our cars... because there aren't enough serious race drivers that drive 20 year old Accords out there to give a company reason to properly R&D them! Some of the older companies designed decent setups for the CD, and marketed them to us simply because they'll bolt up. The cars are similar enough that they work, but they're not identical... so they're not "made for us". Most of the coilovers on the market are nothing more than super-stiff springs slapped onto struts with threaded bodies for collar adjustment. I could get a set of $50 Dropzone sleeves, weld the collar to a set of $100 Monroe shocks, paint them some "JDM" color, and sell set for $350... and people would gladly pay me an extra $200 for that garbage, just because it's a "full coilover".
          The ONLY full coilover setup I know of that has taken the CB chassis in particular into consideration is Form and Function Autolife, with their Type 2 coilover... and even those are regarded (by the company) as a "performance street suspension". The average enthusiast could take them on a track, but they're not made as an all-out race setup.
          This is true.

I would like to touch on one other thing that you and other members have mentioned. There really isn't a need for full coilovers on a 20 year old, 140 stock HP, economy mid-sized car (for the early '90s).

However, individuals who track or auto-x their car can recieve the full benefits of using a full coilover (different track conditions for different tracks). Now there are some (not including myself) who car may never see a track, and they have coilover. It's their car, and their preference.

It is also mentioned that many people who track their cars swap between suspensions for DD and track conditions. Although this is ideal, remember the simple concept that we as a community was built on. Many people began modifying these cars with huge expectations and limp pockets. Not everyone has the luxury of some on this board to go all out with regards to having 2 suspension setups.

Honestly, being able to buy a complete suspension set-up that is plug-and-play for $600 is ideal for members on a budget. You can get the same performance as a spring/shock combo with half the work, and in some cases less money too. I can't speak for all coilover set-ups, but I can vouch for F&F. I don't have their crem' da la creme product, but it serves it purpose for DD, and I'm sure it'll be fine when I go out to Poco to auto-x.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic, however, coilovers can be beneficial to those who understand suspension geometry (DD and track). Now, for those who just get them to say they have them, then I completely understand your reasoning.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

You have two flaws in your logic. 1) assuming that these budget setups are actually engineered properly for our cars, as well as for street and/or track use. and 2) that it is an acceptable excuse to buy inferior, improperly designed parts for your car just because that is all you can afford.

The "I'm on a tight budget" reasoning is the whole reason why people ride around on cut springs and blown shocks... the whole reason why "ebay" companies sell $50 coilovers... the whole reason why the REAL companies don't offer us very much... simply because we're broke, and we want cheap stuff.

Those who really understand suspension geometry (mndude07 ranks among the top on this site, and even he is far from an expert) will also understand that most of the offerings for our cars are poorly designed and don't do what they claim.

People with $500 cars don't want to spend 3x that on a suspension. They don't even want to spent $500. Most of them have very little understanding of suspension, which leads them to buy either the very cheapest stuff (hey, if someone sells it, it can't be dangerous, right?) or the "raciest" thing they can find... which is essentially super stiff springs slapped on threaded shocks.

Comment

My logic is far from flawed.

I'm not speaking for people who cheap out and do the cut spring, cheap no name Ebay coilovers. I'm speaking for people on a budget, that call companies and ask questions, read reviews, and just can't afford companies like Megan, Tein, Bilstein shocks, ETC., and know what they need They are the people who buy F&F I's, which weren't designed for our cars, but from my understanding they did their proper research. AMR is another company who can build coilovers to the specs that can mate to a CB perfectly. Not everyone can purchase AMRs. Shit, if it wasn't for the $750 I just shelled out of pocket for text books (no credit cards or loans), I'd be sitting on some AMR's right now.

I"m going to say I don't know tons about the CB suspension, but I do have general suspension and general CB suspension knowledge. I know that no two cars have the same design, geometry, etc., and I'm still reading about the CB suspension. However, if I wanted to, and I know that not all members are capable of this, I could easily design a CB suspension from head to toe with correct calculations in WINGEO and Solidworks with my knowledge. From my understanding, the people over at F&F as well as Andy has already done it for us. Why look upon individuals looking to buy these products from those companies. I'm sure at one point, when you were novice, you've done stuff to your car that was unethical in some eyes.

I'm not turning this into a debate, but we all have different driving habits and opinions. There may be people in our community that need coilovers for their driving habits; I know, I'm one of them. I take on/off ramps at very aggressive speeds. What would you expect from someone who goes to school to design and manufacture cars? I test limits to know what does and doesn't work.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Wingeo? You guys should move to optimumK

I didn't see these comments about me until just now. I've been in a cave the last few weeks.

I like anything that has dampers that are actually made right, can handle a beating without fading or blowing, and do what they are supposed to do.

If you want to talk about some serious shit, take this for example. A few of the "top" suspensions you can get: Penske, Ohlins, Moton. At upwards of $8000 for a set, the Moton's are considered the inferior cheapies of the three.

At that point, you're paying alot of money for a little improvement, but I would say the curve is logarithmic, as demonstrated by my awesome mspaint drawing:

Discuss
                Last edited by mndude07; 09-19-2011, 02:54 AM.
                There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Awsome graph man it's pretty bad ass.Also there is no way in hell i'd ever pay 8k for suspension im mean ever thats worth 7-8x the cars value.Just crazy prices these days think i'll stick to my $400 spring/strut setup for now lol.

02 Crv
                  02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                  92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                  Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                    Wingeo? You guys should move to optimumK

I didn't see these comments about me until just now. I've been in a cave the last few weeks.

I like anything that has dampers that are actually made right, can handle a beating without fading or blowing, and do what they are supposed to do.

If you want to talk about some serious shit, take this for example. A few of the "top" suspensions you can get: Penske, Ohlins, Moton. At upwards of $8000 for a set, the Moton's are considered the inferior cheapies of the three.

At that point, you're paying alot of money for a little improvement, but I would say the curve is logarithmic, as demonstrated by my awesome mspaint drawing:

Discuss
                    LMFAO. Good job.

Actually, I am aware of of optimumK. They hosted a seminar at the FSAE competition 2011. I didn't go to Michigan in June, so I didn't start digging into it yet. I definitely will though. Last year when I was new, I only knew about Wingeo. I'm all over the place. Suspension, chasis, motor... it's a lot of work.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Dang, this is such a long thread...

Currently running on stock suspension, shot ball joints, and crackin' (not in a good way) stabilizer bar bushings. This weekend, I will be installing:

Megan Coilovers
                      Replacement Ball Joints
                      Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings

Hey, better than what I got now... Will keep everyone posted on results/feel. I have had Ground Control Coils on Eibach Sportlines on my old 1997 Mitsu Eclipse. Handled great!

UPDATE: The Megans were an outstanding improvement over the Shot-up POS that was on there. And, Energy Suspension Bushings to boot? Great handling on on-ramp high speed, off-ramp acceleration, soft setting provides comfortable ride, hardest setting makes for tighter but bumpier movements. I would definitely rate it a 9/10 at this point...
                      Last edited by Accord1320; 06-03-2013, 03:10 PM.

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

My YouTube Channel! - There's more videos here!
                      Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Comment

Working...
                      X