Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Negative camber, tire wear, and steering wheel vibration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative camber, tire wear, and steering wheel vibration...

I know the first two are related... how about the last one?

I just recently looked at my new-ish Falken Ziex tires (about 3000 miles on them...) and there is some noticable wear on the inside. Stepping back from my car and looking head-on (or tail-on) I can see that my camber looks pretty off! With 7.5" wide wheels, some negative camber REALLY puts the edges of my tires under some punishment. Time to get a camber kit, I guess! (so much for "under 2 inches you'll be fine...")

Anyway, when I drive now, especially around 30mph, my steering wheel shakes. Not violently, but enough to irritate me. The whole car vibrates a little. Could this be a result of bad camber, or could it be something worse? I'm afraid that I may have damaged my new wheels already... it almost feels as if the wheels aren't quite round. Going around curves is especially bad... I can feel the wheels kinda breaking loose. That didn't happen when they were new. Perhaps that's just a result of the tires being worn where they are in contact with the road the most?

do what i told you to do and let me know
    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

The ball joints and control arms are solid (which is strange... they're original!)

I'm afraid the wheels are out of round... hoping it's the camber!

Comment

camber will not do TOO much extra wear to your tires. camber and toe incorrectly set, will do some damage. As far as the shaking, get the tires balanced, it may help.

Comment

GET YOUR CAR ALIGNED! that is the best thing you can do.
          H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I took it to be aligned before I took my old rims off, and I was told it was fine. It still pulls straight.

The inner edge of the tires is worn evenly, and there is very little noticable wear in the center. The tires are in good shape still, and the wear isn't all that bad. I hope to catch things before a major problem occurs! I'm looking into a camber kit now, since I seem to need one. The steering wheel shaking is what really bothers me though. I don't want to think that I may have damaged the wheels... If they are out of round, I'm screwed. They are forged, and a good brand, so they shouldn't be so easily damaged. I haven't really abused them, aside from a couple knocks and some hard turns...

Comment

i still say, just get them balanced. If you bought them at a store around you, balancing may even be free. Wheels can come out of balance pretty easily, and usually do over time. Im not sure how often it is recommended, but its easy, and possibly free for ya.

Comment

not free, for sure... got them from edgeracing.com.

How do they come out of balance? The're weighted already... of course, I don't know much about this stuff.

Comment

The thing is that my tires are fine... There is no damage, just signs of slightly more wear on the inner edges.

The steering wheel shakes at around 30mph. Less noticbly at lower and higher speeds. The front end hasn't been checked since I put the new wheels on. For the last 3000 miles they've been fine, or at least I haven't noticed anything. Just recently I've noticed this shaking.

When I last took my car in for alignment, they told me it was the wheels (the old BBS wheels, not my new Falkens). They said the alignment was fine. The guys at my shop also don't use the machine... which really pissed me off. I've always heard that eyeballing an alignment is never as good as the machine. And I PAY for this?!

Anyway, the tires are alright. Not terribly worn, but more so on the insides than elsewhere, which suggests negative camber I believe. The shaking has me scared, since they didn't do it before... I'm afraid that I may have damaged the wheels somehow. If not, could the negative camber and increasing balding of the tires (there is still about 50% tread on the inside of the tires) be causing that?

Comment

correct me if im wrong, i heard fixing your camber and toe can easily fix your tires wear from the inside and you dont really need a camber kit?

Comment

Can you adjust your camber sufficiently with the stock components? I always heard a kit was needed to correct camber after lowering a car... Of course, I also heard that being dropped less than 2" doesn't harm your tires (which, apparently, is false!)

Comment

ionno mang i was reading somthing bout not having a camber kit and just get a alignment on honda-tech.com but i cant find it nomore.
                        i need to get an alignment too but im still lookin for some shocks for cheap in good condition.

Comment

According to my shop, my alignment is fine...

Comment

if your camber isn't extremely excessive.... correcting the toe, and rotating your tires at intervals will negate the camber issue. there is no factory provision for adjusting the camber... a kit is a must if you want your front camber adjusted, however you can DIY the rear if you want.... search I'm sure it's on here somwhere

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought... My wheels and tires are only a couple months old, and the alignment was fine just before I bought them. The tires are directional, so I can only rotate so much.

My drop is only 1.7" or so (H&R Sport) so it really shouldn't be so bad. I wonder if toe could be the issue instead of camber... Although isn't that pretty much what an alignment takes care of?

I should probably check my ball joints once again. I did that last time before I took my car in for an alignment. I thought the problem was a bad ball joint. IF the ball joints are bad, I might as well invest in one of those good camber kits that replace the whole ball joint!

Comment

Working...
                              X