X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help deciding between two tires.

General Altimax HP

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

The Generals are cheaper by $4 each. They're also lighter by 3lbs. However, I'm more familiar with Bridgestone as a brand, although I know General is a decent brand as well.

This is for my Fit, so I don't really care all that much about performance. I'm most interested in treadwear and fuel economy. As long as they provide decent handling and a comfortable ride, I'm happy enough.

I am guessing the general maybe is better on mileage because of the lighter weight. I know what you mean about being more similar with bridgestone. I think general is fine from what I hear.
    Before the goodyears I have now, I had a set of hankook's I really liked.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

Yuck! You have a very ugly tire size. There are a few more options in the same price range.

I've learned not to only depend on Tirerack, but other tire sources as well. I'm assuming you want to keep the original size attributable to having your specific vehicle pulled up on Tirerack.

Would you consider a slightly different size that is very near stock?
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

my last set of tires had a very similiar tread pattern to the Generals. They were great in all weather conditions, even the few times I drove my accord in the snow. Not the best for auto-x though, but I don't think you're looking for that.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

i read a magazine article about how the general tires, for being a lower cost tire, are up there in terms of quality and performance for your money.

in some tests it out performed the higher class tires companies that are known for their R&D
          ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

After reading reviews on different sites, the Generals are not perfect, but they seem to accomplish their goal for DDs. The biggest complaints were a lil' more road noise over the stock tires, and having a life of about ~28K-32K miles.

If you can live with that, I say go American.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Generals, i have had them before and they did well for me on my Malibu, size 195-75R14
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

For some reason, I thought General was a Korean company... I wonder what company I was thinking of (that sounded American, but wasn't. Not Hankook, Kumho, or Nexen... I know they're Korean.) Apparently, General is owned by Continental, which I understand makes an AMAZING tire... so yeah, I may go with the Generals.

Road noise doesn't bother me, since the Fit is really loud anyway (being a hatchback with little sound-deadening material.) My suspension is also pretty shot, so that doesn't help either!

I like TireRack because 1) they give AMAZING service, 2) I get a discount on mounting and balancing from the Mr Tire store I go to , and 3) the only other major online tire dealer is DiscountTiresDirect.com... and the last time I ordered from them, they told me the tires I ordered would be a special-order item (because yes, my tire size is REALLY weird...) and they told me that I could go with some slightly undersized "optional equipment" tires... a totally different brand than I ordered, directional rather than universal like the ones I ordered, and they were absolute SHIT! Plus, being slightly undersized, they resulted in my wheels getting beat to shit VERY quickly.

These new tires will be going on steelies. That alone will give me a quieter and more comfortable ride than my 16" alloys (and the steelies are thinner, so the tires won't be as wide... sacrificing some handling, but gaining some MPG.)

I can push the car hard-ish on twisty mountain roads, but since my suspension is pretty well worn, I can't push very hard. I think even some hard-compound all season economy tires would be able to hold the road up to the suspension's current limits!
                I'll get some good gummy rubber for the CB once that's back on the road

Comment

Bridgestone is the TIHS though. I'm loving my Potenzas, but I think my next set of tires (or the set after my next... we'll see when the times comes) will be some Goodyear Eagles. I'm looking forward to trying them out. They look _________ (fill in the blank with something that pertains to a good looking, handling tire)!

If you get the Generals, let us know how they hold up.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Don't you get FREE mounting, balancing and alignment with every new tire purchase?

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                    Honda Accord Euro-R
                    Honda Odyssey Absolute
                    Honda City I-DSi
                    Honda Stream

Comment

You may have been thinking of Federal tires. I had a set of those and just out of curiosity searched them online. I couldn't only find one website that carried them and they were dirt cheap for 18's. Seemed to be decent tires, but an inner sidewall blew out on me. Probably from auto crossing on them for two seasons.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335 View Post
                        Don't you get FREE mounting, balancing and alignment with every new tire purchase?
                        If I was buying wheels, yeah... but I'll just be ordering the tires through tirerack, and having them installed at the shop down the street. They give a discount for tirerack customers, but they don't do it for free. They don't do it for free if you buy the tires there, either (I don't know anyone that does, other than when they run a special.)

Originally posted by wherm View Post
                        You may have been thinking of Federal tires. I had a set of those and just out of curiosity searched them online. I couldn't only find one website that carried them and they were dirt cheap for 18's. Seemed to be decent tires, but an inner sidewall blew out on me. Probably from auto crossing on them for two seasons.
                        Ah yes, that's probably what i was thinking of! Taiwan, not Korea... but I think that might be the brand I had in mind. The name sounds like an American brand (Kumho, Hankook, etc... they sound foreign.)

Comment

Ok, I ordered the Generals. We'll see how they do!

My last two sets of tires were Kumho Ecsta (I HATE Kumho), and Yokohama S.Drives (which I think were awful... those are the ones discounttiredirect pushed on me.)
                          The original Dunlops were great. I've always been a fan of Dunlop, but the OE replacements were pretty expensive, and a model that looked identical to them (not sure what the difference was) was listed as out of stock.

Comment

How have your Generals been holding up?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                            X