largest rim/tire width possible (16s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

largest rim/tire width possible (16s)

okay i found a set of rims i am interested in but they might be too wide.

offset is 32 and they are staggered. one pair is 16x7 other is 16x8 can this be done? maybe 45 series tires might help and rolling the fenders? what about the width of tires? 215?

mostly what i am concerned about is rubbing not so much the rims/tires sticking out.

and before its asked yes these rims were orig. from a 240

I'd think 215/45/16 on the 7, 225/40/16 on the 8. But those will stick out... a lot. 35mm offset sticks out a little, and 38mm is pretty much flush
    Originally posted by DoctorCipher
    ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksterdotcom
      okay i found a set of rims i am interested in but they might be too wide.

offset is 32 and they are staggered. one pair is 16x7 other is 16x8 can this be done? maybe 45 series tires might help and rolling the fenders? what about the width of tires? 215?

mostly what i am concerned about is rubbing not so much the rims/tires sticking out.

and before its asked yes these rims were orig. from a 240
      +32 offset is totally doable. ziggy cb7 ran a +32 offset wheel, albeit 7 inches wide without any problems. i run a +38 offset wheel with a 5 mm spacer, for an effective offset of +33 without any problems, although again it's a 7 inch wide wheel.

a 16 x 7, +32 offset wheel will not sit flush with the fender. there's still a little bit of room.

the 16 x 7, +32 offset will be perfectly fine. the 16 x 8, +32 wheel on the other hand... you will need to roll/cut the rear fender (this is assuming you're putting the wider wheel on the rear... if you're putting it on the front, then it would apply there as well). primocb7 at one point ran a 17 x 8, +38 wheel and apparently needed to cut the rear fender.

btw, check out this thread, should answer a lot of questions, with pics and research:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=12533

as far as tire size, idk... you can fit a 195 tire on a 9 inch wide wheel if you go to the right people.

if it were me, i'd likely run a 205/50/16 on all four tires- a perfect fit on the 7 inch wide wheel, and just a hint of stretch on the 8 inch wide wheel.

synopsis:
      1. no need to cut/roll for the 7 inch wide wheel
      2. need to cut/roll for the 8 inch wide wheel
      3. do it, be different.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

thanks a lot and that link cleared up a lot for me. if all goes well i should finally be getting my car off steelies..

im going to raise my car about 1/4" all the way around to give myself some more room and purchasing some spacers just to be safe. but as far as the tire size its still up in the air. ill see what i can do with some 205s

again i should have searched harder...

Comment

You bought my wheels didn't ya haha oh well
          "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
          sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
          Did work for: jhoff_cb7
          Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

naw man... it aint even close to what you were buying... I aint a hater...

but they are JDM and they are exspensive... think what your orig. wanted... but I went to some 240 forums and looked for wheels....

Comment

Originally posted by clarksterdotcom
              thanks a lot and that link cleared up a lot for me. if all goes well i should finally be getting my car off steelies..

im going to raise my car about 1/4" all the way around to give myself some more room and purchasing some spacers just to be safe. but as far as the tire size its still up in the air. ill see what i can do with some 205s

again i should have searched harder...
              spacers will push the wheels out (away from the body, closer to the fenders/outside of the car even more). if you do that, you'll definitely need to roll/cut the fenders.

Comment

if you're running 16x8 +32 you might be close to rubbing the inside (suspension, knuckle, whatever it might be)...i'd first try them on, and then get spacers if needed...you can always roll fenders when needed to
                For Sale:
                itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
                tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

yea i dunno what offset my motegi mr7's are but u really don't have to wry bout rubbing. i just got a narrower tire....205/40/17
                  My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                    yea i dunno what offset my motegi mr7's are but u really don't have to wry bout rubbing. i just got a narrower tire....205/40/17
                    My MR7's have a 35mm offset, but they came w/ the car. On the front, they're pretty much flush and in the rear, the tire sticks out ever-so-slightly. The tires are 195/60/15. I wish they had slightly higher offset like 38 or 40, something like that.

^I think yours may be either 35mm or 38mm judging by the looks of how they sit.

Comment

i just mounted my set of volks which are 16x7(f) and 16x8(r). however my offset is quite different. up front its 50 and rear its 58. i used a 10mm spacer in the rear to clear suspension components. i also used 205/50/16 (which is the correct size for 16" on our cars) ALL around meaning at the rear too. i'll get pics up soon!

note: it is rare to find 215 tires or so i've been told.

32 offset is pretty wild. no spacers will be necessary depending on the design of the wheel (to clear the calipers mainly). you WILL need to roll the rear fender or trim it, which is what i did. also you WILL need to run negative camber to clear the fenders. it is not impossible but it takes a lot to fit.
                      1cor10:31
                      - 92 LX coupe
                      - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Allriiiight I'm gonna ressurect this thread now...hehehehehe well at least you guys know that I actually do my research...Sooo the mods won't hate me for making a new thread just to ask a stupid simple question..hehehe

Well, jus a quick question....My wheels are 16x7.5" w/ +35 offset...If I match them with 225/50ZR16 tires......Do you guys think they'd rub??? Again, I'm only running H&R Sports, so I still have some wheel gap...

Jus wondering if I can have some input on this from the master of suspension/wheels such as uncle_el, or timmy...hehehe plz give me some advice if it's not too much trouble...And plz don't flame me if it's a stupid question..I seriously don't know if that setup would be proportional for our cars or not....hehe thx in advance!!

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R
                          Allriiiight I'm gonna ressurect this thread now...hehehehehe well at least you guys know that I actually do my research...Sooo the mods won't hate me for making a new thread just to ask a stupid simple question..hehehe

Well, jus a quick question....My wheels are 16x7.5" w/ +35 offset...If I match them with 225/50ZR16 tires......Do you guys think they'd rub??? Again, I'm only running H&R Sports, so I still have some wheel gap...

Jus wondering if I can have some input on this from the master of suspension/wheels such as uncle_el, or timmy...hehehe plz give me some advice if it's not too much trouble...And plz don't flame me if it's a stupid question..I seriously don't know if that setup would be proportional for our cars or not....hehe thx in advance!!

Ronald
                          i thought we already answered that question here, but i see your asking about a different size tire here.

1. i'm not sure why you want to run a 225 series tire as opposed to a 205 series tire.
                          2. a wider tire is going to increase the chances of rubbing. i guess it just depends if it bothers you or not.
                          3. for the look of a 16 x 7 with a 205/55/16 tire see drlove'skudang's ride, who has my old wheels

Comment

hehee thx uncle_el... i kno I kno, you already answered my question on that other thread...I was jus curious about the tire size, 'coz someone local is selling a set of A032Rs for a pretty good price...But the thing is, the tire size is 225/50ZR16...I was jus curious if that size would be a good size or not, that's all.. I kno that I'd be safe if I jus go with the 205 series tires..hehe but I wouldn't mind trying out a set of 225 series tires if they'd actually fit pretty well with no rubbing or whatsoever, jus to see how the car will handle with those tires...

Thx again for the advice tho uncle_el...Sorry if I keep on asking questions about these different sizes...I'm jus curious that's all

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R
                              hehee thx uncle_el... i kno I kno, you already answered my question on that other thread...I was jus curious about the tire size, 'coz someone local is selling a set of A032Rs for a pretty good price...But the thing is, the tire size is 225/50ZR16...I was jus curious if that size would be a good size or not, that's all.. I kno that I'd be safe if I jus go with the 205 series tires..hehe but I wouldn't mind trying out a set of 225 series tires if they'd actually fit pretty well with no rubbing or whatsoever, jus to see how the car will handle with those tires...

Thx again for the advice tho uncle_el...Sorry if I keep on asking questions about these different sizes...I'm jus curious that's all

Ronald
                              i'm sure you 225s would fit fine on a 7.5 in wide wheel... it just seems unnecessary to me, especially given the increased chance of rubbing with minimal performance gains to be had. sure the tire is wider, but it can get to the point of diminishing returns (i.e. you can't expect to continue to widen a tire and get increased grip).

Comment

Working...
                              X