Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YES!! the F22B DOHC Head will fit on the F22AX Block..PERFECTLY!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES!! the F22B DOHC Head will fit on the F22AX Block..PERFECTLY!!

I just recieved the F22B DOHC head that I purchased from PRIMOCB7 (awesome seller and a great guy). We checked the fitting of the F22B head to the F22AX block via the headgasket, and YES!! It fits perfectly, without any modifications. All of the drains, ports, etc. line up flawlessly. So all you guys who where wondering if the F22B DOHC head would fit onto the F22AX series blocks, YES IT WILL WORK!!

NOTE: This picture was taken before cleaning and dissassembly, so its dirty as hell. Here's the photo of the F22AX head gasket on the F22B DOHC head. Enjoy:

Last edited by NoSloCB7; 11-29-2004, 01:53 PM.

I read that the F22 internals (crank and rods, perhaps?) in the H22 would make a 2.3L engine... I wonder if you took the H22 crank and rods, put them in the F22 with the F22B DOHC head... would you have a 2.1L DOHC engine? It would definitley be interesting...

Comment

I am definately interested in more info on this head swap. How similar is the f22a bottom end compared to the f22b? Were power gains very noticable?
      Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
      The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
        I read that the F22 internals (crank and rods, perhaps?) in the H22 would make a 2.3L engine... I wonder if you took the H22 crank and rods, put them in the F22 with the F22B DOHC head... would you have a 2.1L DOHC engine? It would definitley be interesting...
        nevermind deever, i retract my answer, im not gona discuss this here, some one might get pist off...
        Last edited by phatdoughnut; 11-26-2004, 04:52 PM.
        H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I think you get more low end from the f22b head. Sorta oposite of what you would think going from sohc to dohc.

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
            um no.
            "um no" what?

No it can't be done? No, it's a bad idea? No, I have nothing useful to add? C'mon phatty... I know you can say something more interesting than that!

As for added low end, it all depends on how the cam timing is set. What was the F22B DOHC in? (yeah, I know I should know this! ) It's not really a performance-oriented engine like the H22, so it is still focused on low end somewhat. You're actually feeling some of that 160hp at the low end because of it (unlike my H22, which kinda feels like the F22 unless you step on it).

Comment

Dude, what happened to your other thread on this :wtf:

Comment

F22B DOHC was in the JDM 92-96 preludes. The USDM had the H23 but the JDMs had the F22Bs.
                "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
                sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
                Did work for: jhoff_cb7
                Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

First off, I am not trying to start an argument or say this is a stupid idea. I just want to point out these issues.

The F22b has the same bore and stroke as the F22ax. 85mm and 95mm respectively. Now, it has like a 9.2:1 compression as opposed to the 8.8:1 on the F22ax. So it has higher compression pistons and DOHC (F22b).

My questions are, it's tight this fits and would transform the F22ax into a DOHC, but in itself....for getting a F22b head & all the trouble you'd go through to get one... you would most likely just get the whole engine and therefore why not just swap it all?

Just thoughts...don't mean to start debates here...is what I'm saying stupid or a valid point? A benefit i see is...if you can find just a F22b head....it would be easier swapping the cyl head while engine is still in the car, then pulling the whole motor...I guess.

I do give you props for finding this info out. Please let me know if there are some other advantages that I am unaware of.
                  Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-28-2004, 04:46 AM.
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Cisco,
                    The F22 internals in the H22 would make it a 2.3L engine, so I'm assuming the H22 internals in the F22 would have the opposite effect, making it a 2.1L. I don't know for sure (you know a hell of a lot more than I do about such things!) but I think the F22AX with the DOHC head and H22 internals would be a very unique engine.

Comment

Mike,

I agree with what you said in your post above.

F22B DOHC head
                      F22ax block
                      H22 crank
                      F22 rods
                      F22 pistons

Displacement of around 2042.82 cc or 2.0L.

Rod ratio of 1.56

It would be a high & fast revving engine with less stress on the cylinder walls as opposed to the F22ax.

I went back to the engine swap list and it would be similar to a F20a DOHC non-VTEC setup. It just seems that Honda pretty much covered every combo you can do with H23/H22 and F22 engine components. In the end it may be easier finding that one engine setup and swapping the whole thing in. However, if you get some great deal on a part that would work...I don't see why not.

Note: These are rough calculations, but should be in ballpark.
                      Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-28-2004, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Cool. Good job researching I knew I could get my answers from you

Now (completely off topic now... kinda) What about an H22 head on the F20B DOHC? (Might as well drop a stroked B18 into the car, eh?)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                          Cool. Good job researching I knew I could get my answers from you

Now (completely off topic now... kinda) What about an H22 head on the F20B DOHC? (Might as well drop a stroked B18 into the car, eh?)
                          Why? The F20b dohc is so high-strung and I'm guessing they didn't skimp out on the head for this motor....I bet it's similar to the h22...but that's just a guess.

But what benefit would you get from H22 head on F20b dohc?

they both dohc and vtec and both good power out of small displacement motors

Comment

Is the F20B VTEC? That's why I was thinking of the H22 head, to add VTEC...

And since it's such a small displacement motor, it makes me think of the B18... Too small and the torque is gone.

Comment

your thinking of the F20a deev. it is the DOHC NON vtec motor. You could swap it but it would take some modding. Now on the other hand swap an H22 VTEC head on an F22aX block. That would be MAD FAST.
                              "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
                              sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
                              Did work for: jhoff_cb7
                              Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

Working...
                              X