Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F20B Swap into CB3

hey guys,

im new here. im from Malaysia (the country above singapore). have u guys heard of this engine code transplanted in to our cb-chassis?

im still in my search for the Manual tranny version, rated 200ps. its F20B DOHC VTEC, from the Accord CF4 SiR-T version. currently only found the tiptronic type, which is rated at 180ps, semiauto (i prefer manual).

im currently running on stock engine, F20A PGI-EX Carburetor. I know most of the guys here prefer the h22a, but my intentions are to maintain a 2000cc engine in my car, and not to guzzle too much petrol.

anyone has any experience on this engine?

thanx

People have talked about doing it, but nobody has yet to step forward and actually do it.

Comment

It's very similar to the H22 swap, I believe. It's an extremely expensive motor in the US, since it was never sold here, and is fairly rare. The only issue I would have with it is that I believe they are all OBDII. Not a HUGE problem, but something most of us gladly avoid with a 92-95 H22!

The F20B is a good motor, though I believe it is a bit peakier than the H22 (the powerband is narrower). I think Honda made it specifically to compete in races that required 2.0L and less...

The H22 tranny (or even your F22 tranny) should work just fine with it. There must be a manual version, but I don't know for sure. If you get an automatic engine, you would need the ECU for a manual, or figure out how to modify it!

Like xScott said, it's been the topic of many a conversation, but nobody here has done it yet.

Comment

hello, finally found someone from malaysia in this treated.
        U kat area mana?

if you wanna know more just go to malaysia HAVOC. U`ll find them and ask about this engine. (http://accordmalaysia.proboards36.com/index.cgi)

aku pakai kereta us model. boleh la cilok modifikasi diaorang.

see u then!

Signature Picture removed due to excessive size

VOLVO 240GL bandit crew....all mighty supertank

Comment

thanx guys for the replies.

deevergote, er...wat's the OBDII issue thing? hm, about the tranny...if say i use my current F20A gearbox, the issue of powerband will come up right? anyway, if i go ahead with it, then what else would i need to convert from auto to manual? ECU...etc? but im not too sure how they will be able to connect both engine and gearbox...

yeah, there is a manual version of it, but it is even harder to find than the tiptronic! btw, the price for a h22a auto is only slightly cheaper than the f20b tiptronic here in Malaysia. However, the H22A Red top (M) can cost up to about USD 2600 just for the engine+trans+ecu!

kidd,
          haha, im already a member kat Havoc. one of the first wei...hehe. my nick there is 'kelve'. cheers

Comment

a true red top is the type s motor def. a great DOHC motor, the f20 is a high revving little brother of the h22s but also a sweet motor (sometimes i wish i had just spent the extra money and bought the f20b.) im not sure how the f20b's auto trans triptronic system works so i couldnt tell you if the f20a trans bolts up.

lot of people on this site are running the f20a DOHC, is this the motor you have currently? cause seems to be a pretty good motor to build off of from other members input. have you looked into forced induction much?

and welcome, always great to have members from other countries.

Comment

damn....I'm in the middle of doing an F20B swap into my friends 93 Accord Ex as we speak! I sold him the engine (since I sold my integra and I had no use for it). It is the manual version rated at 200Hp & 145Tq, going into an Auto accord. Should be interesting. It is basically an H22 swap, except OBDII. All you would really need to use for an ECU, unless your engine comes with one, is an OBDII 96-up JDM P13 with the OBDI - OBDII conversion harness. Tune it on some Hondata, raise the rev limit to 8200 and you're good. I'll post pics as soon as the swap is complete. It's definately going to be some eye candy for everyone.....i'm soooo excited to see the results!
              1991 Honda Accord Ex
              Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

2003 BMW 330I Sport.....Daily Hustler....

Road Race #1
              Totoro Squad #2

Comment

Originally posted by kelveSM4
                The H22A Red top (M) can cost up to about USD 2600 just for the engine+trans+ecu!
                Crap thats cheap! I want one!
                1991 Honda Accord Ex
                Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

Road Race #1
                Totoro Squad #2

Comment

thanx guys for the replies.

deevergote, er...wat's the OBDII issue thing? hm, about the tranny...if say i use my current F20A gearbox, the issue of powerband will come up right? anyway, if i go ahead with it, then what else would i need to convert from auto to manual? ECU...etc? but im not too sure how they will be able to connect both engine and gearbox...

yeah, there is a manual version of it, but it is even harder to find than the tiptronic! btw, the price for a h22a auto is only slightly cheaper than the f20b tiptronic here in Malaysia. However, the H22A Red top (M) can cost up to about USD 2600 just for the engine+trans+ecu!

kidd,
                  haha, im already a member kat Havoc. one of the first wei...hehe. my nick there is 'kelve'. cheers
                  The F20A gearbox should bolt up with no issues whatsoever. However, you're right about the powerband. It won't be bad, but the longer gearing that I'm sure your F20A transmission has will certainly not allow the F20B to show it's full potential! It will still be noticably more powerful, however.

The OBDII issue isn't a major problem, but it can be a headache. You would need to wire your car for OBDII (not sure exactly what is involved... OBDII just monitors more). It's also harder to modify an OBDII engine because of all the added computerization. Very often an OBDII ECU will have a problem with the simplest mods (I've heard of a CAI causing it to throw a CEL code!) There are certainly more people on here that can give you more info there than I can!

As for a red top (which is also the color of the Accord Euro R valve cover, I believe) those are CRAZY expensive here! $4500 US for the same combination you mentioned!

Comment

or 3500 from me
                    HSHO #3

Comment

clarkster, thanx for the info and welcome! and no, im not using the f20a dohc (many of the guys here converted to this engine too), im running on the Lowest end CB u can imagine....F20A...SOHC...Carburetor.
                      practically no mods available, except for some after market headers, air filters...that's it. not worth it anyway. must swap.

91hybridac, wow! u actually had the legendary f20b (to me ) manual 200hp engine??? damn...i've been looking for that for months...how much will that engine cost there? over here, the tiptronic version 180ps will be about...USD 1400. manual version = unknown. maybe USD 1500-1600.
                      and yes, post em pics up aye!

deevergote, thanx for the info! so, the f20b shud be able to use my manual tranny...? (double confirm ) so, will the OBDII wiring /ECU conflict with my obsolete f20a tranny? what about meters? the panel would have the auto thingy...while im using manual...

and wow! the Accord Euro R H22A (M) there is very expensive....but overhere, its SOOOOO rare. overhere, a guy just converted his CF4 into Euro R, total conversion including bodyparts, engine, RS*R exhaust system, lug conversion + euro R rims, paint job, interior....cost him around USD 7300...or so.
                      but he had to go scout around 80 chop shops...and ordered the CF4 euro R half cut straight from Japan. performance wise...he said its more on top speed. pickup is ok, but not like those pocket rocket b18cRs on civics...
                      btw, the manual version Euro R comes with a Helical LSD. way cool.

cheers people!

Comment

91hybridac, wow! u actually had the legendary f20b (to me ) manual 200hp engine??? damn...i've been looking for that for months...how much will that engine cost there? over here, the tiptronic version 180ps will be about...USD 1400. manual version = unknown. maybe USD 1500-1600.
                        and yes, post em pics up aye!
                        You asked for it.....I paid $1500 for it, then 2point6 aka..Scott used the tranny, so I basically had a long block, I also had the auto one as well, but I paid $1000 for that.....but enought about that....on to the good stuff!

Here she is...the legendary manual F20B in the flesh (well, not exactly flesh but you get the point!)

With the F22A6 auto tranny....

The cleanest engine bay I have ever made...(believe me, it was very messy!)

I cleaned the motor as good as I could. I wanted it to be A clean swap in my 96 Integra Special Edition, since I've never heard of someone ever doing this swap into a DC chassis. Now it's going to it's rightful home into a CB7. I'll post pics as soon as the swap is complete!
                        Last edited by 91hybridaccord; 07-21-2005, 02:56 AM.
                        1991 Honda Accord Ex
                        Pics of the beast!

Road Race #1
                        Totoro Squad #2

Comment

woOoww....*wipes drool off chin* that engine is da bomb!

but dude...y go waste the tranny man? im tryin to find the manual here so badly...u got the manual, and mix it with auto.

but really, sweet motor u got there. i might just get the tiptronic version, and mate it with my f20a manual tranny.

i found a halfcut f20b dohc vtec tiptronic @ USD1400...condition looks ok, engine startable. however, there's a few leaks, i think the O-rings are hardened due to storage. and the spark plugs are carbonized pretty badly. its not oily, but just really black. what does that say about the engine? mileage is unknown...as the odometer was not displaying then.

thanx guys

Comment

woOoww....*wipes drool off chin* that engine is da bomb!

but dude...y go waste the tranny man? im tryin to find the manual here so badly...u got the manual, and mix it with auto.

but really, sweet motor u got there. i might just get the tiptronic version, and mate it with my f20a manual tranny.

i found a halfcut f20b dohc vtec tiptronic @ USD1400...condition looks ok, engine startable. however, there's a few leaks, i think the O-rings are hardened due to storage. and the spark plugs are carbonized pretty badly. its not oily, but just really black. what does that say about the engine? mileage is unknown...as the odometer was not displaying then.

thanx guys
                            I really don't wan't to do another auto to manual conversion let alone Scott, who actually would be doing most of the work. My friend doesn't want his daily driven CB7 to be manual, he wanted auto, so I was thinking that the Manual F20B mated with the auto tranny would be unique and very sweet to say the least.....about the plugs, it sounds to me like the engine was running very rich at one point (meaning there was more fuel being drawn into the engine than air), or for a while, may have been bad tuning, who knows.
                            1991 Honda Accord Ex
                            Pics of the beast!

Road Race #1
                            Totoro Squad #2

Comment

hehe...if only i could exchange the tiptronic version with u...hehehe.

hm, running too rich eh? then its better than i thought. my thoughts were that the previous owner might have abused it...anyway, i'll upload some pics up here...tell me what u think.

cheers dude

Comment

Working...
                              X