balance shaft trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

balance shaft trouble

i swapped an h22 into my car recently and when i was driving it around the first day i got it working the crank pulley rattled loose and almost fell off...i had a lightweight underdrive pulley...so i put it back on but it kept coming off...so i decided to put the stock pulley back on...then the other week i was driving it and it started to make a noise around 3700 rpm...i thought it was my transmission so i took it to a transmission shop and they told me that it wasnt the transmission it was noise from the balance shaft...then he told me that the shaft was out of time and i needed a new timing belt because when my pulley came off the timing belt slipped...after he fixes all this he tells me that there is still noise from the balance shaft...now i have a few questions...has anyone ever had this happen to them? does the balance shaft have bearings that could have been bad? any information would help...

i recommend removing hte balance shaft belt and call it a day.

and if your pulleys are coming off it means usually that your crnak pulley bolt is not torqued to the right spec or you got damaged threads on the crank or bolt.

Comment

if i take the balance shaft belt off will it hurt the engine or any other components? what exactly does the balance shaft do?

Comment

won't hurt a thing.........a lot have done it......i've done it, he's done it, etc......it supposedly counters the imbalance in the crank but that imbalance isn't very pronounced so it doesn't matter
        ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Are yall sure it wont hurt, cause im bout to do a H22 swap and ill leave mine off. I hear the engine revs a little quicker without them.

Will's Accord

Comment

It won't hurt anything.

I have done it many times and driven the cars many miles. So have many others.

All the balance shafts due is cancel the vibrations that are common to all I-4 cylinder engines.

It will free a little bit of power, and won't really increase the vibration much. Honda's are pretty well balanced from the factory which keeps them from being nasty with the belt off.

You may notice a little more texture in the steering wheel or pedals, much like the vibration on a vibrating sander (not as bad though). Your passengers won't feel a thing and you will be adjusted within a day.

A valve adjustment or bad engine mount will have a much larger effect on vibration than the balance belt.

It was something Honda did to make the engines that much smoother.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

do i have to remove the shafts to stop the noise? or just remove the belt? cause if all i have to do is remove the belt then i will...also if the bearing on the balance shaft is out of the block will that make noise when i drive?...thanks for the help
              Last edited by accord93racer; 07-21-2006, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by accord93racer
                do i have to remove the shafts to stop the noise? or just remove the belt? cause if all i have to do is remove the belt then i will...also if the bearing on the balance shaft is out of the block will that make noise when i drive?...thanks for the help

Just get rid of the belt.

No matter what is wrong with the balance shaft, once you remove that belt, it will no longer spin, so bearings and noises will no longer be an issue.

Comment

yep... one of the gears came off mine and it did a good job on my t-belt.... so fuck it.. not going back on...

SOLD!

Comment

actually the balance shafts cancel second order vibrations that are inherent in all inline 4 engines.

as far as imbalances in the crank....there are not much there to start with. A good example is the high milage crank I just has polished, and turned sue to mild scoring. when being balance after that there was nothing to be done, its balance was already excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by v4lu3s
                      actually the balance shafts cancel second order vibrations that are inherent in all inline 4 engines.

as far as imbalances in the crank....there are not much there to start with. A good example is the high milage crank I just has polished, and turned sue to mild scoring. when being balance after that there was nothing to be done, its balance was already excellent.
                      Originally posted by owequitit
                      All the balance shafts due is cancel the vibrations that are common to all I-4 cylinder engines.

It will free a little bit of power, and won't really increase the vibration much. Honda's are pretty well balanced from the factory which keeps them from being nasty with the belt off.

Pretty much what I said... If there is a large imbalance in the rotating assembly, then the forces involved in 2nd order vibration are increased. The same can be said with a larger displacement, which is why 4 cylinders of larger displacement are more likely to feature them.

But the force analysis, and what second order vibration is, is beyond the scope of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X