88-91 prelude trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88-91 prelude trans

ok my buddy has a transmission for a 91 prelude si. he says it bolts up to H/F motors so i was looking at it and it looked really close. has anyone attempted this and is it possible to hook up to a h or f motor..
    vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

only 92 through 96 prelude transmissions will bolt up.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

it will bolt up with a h2b kit, those engines are b series engines i believe, so it will not bolt up with out the kit
      Members Ride

Comment

dont bother. its a B series and is not at all similar to the B series found in civics and tegs. it will also not work with F/H series. its long forgotten generation of prelude for a very good reason.

Comment

Owning both car, I can say they look like they'd bolt up, but the 88-91 prelude and 92+ preludes are radically different designs. The H2B kit blackcb7 is talking about is for integra B series trannys, not the b series motors from 3rd gen preludes.

I saw that thread on Prelude Power about how they got a tranny to bolt up and then they started to wonder about flywheels and starters. From what I read though, they wanted to use the tranny from a CB7 on a turboed b21 prelude for the long gears. Those cars don't have boost friendly trans ratios: 80mph= 4200 rpm! Considering they max out at 6500, and boost hits big on most of them about 3500rpm, they cruise in boost making for great fuel economy, lol.

Look into those H2B kits... see what kind of flywheel/clutch they use. That might be the key to make this setup work. If the stock B18 flywheel is used that'd make for an easy swap. If the F/H flywheel is used, then we know that the flywheel is the same diameter as B18 flys, meaning we could cram an F/H flywheel into bellhousing and get it onto a B21.

I know you can run a Teggie flywheel on a 3rd gen prelude with the stock starter, and I know the clutch alignement tool from an 89 prelude works great on the clutch from a 96 prelude, so the tranny splines should be the same. I also know that honda sells the same clutch disk (but different pressure plate and TO bearing) for the ITR as it does 92 preludes.
          I'd bet that it could be cobbled together to work if the tranny physically bolts to the motor. I've got a spare 4th gen prelude motor and tranny, and there is about to be a spare 3rd gen prelude motor at my house, so I can probably do some investigating in the not too distant future. I've really got to get that motor over here now!

Comment

Working...
          X