H23 head vs. F20SI head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23 head vs. F20SI head

Ok I have burnt valves on my H23. I had found an F20SI head for cheap at $100 dollars. From what I had heard it is almost identical but not exactly the same. I was wondering what exactly is different about it and is this a direct-bolt- on to my H23 block? If so, what do I need to look out for?

Thanks in Advance.
    Last edited by BLUBB2; 01-26-2009, 01:53 PM.
    www.PreludePower.com
    BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

im no expert by all means, but if its 2.0 head on a 2.2 wont it raise your compression higher by alot? or possibly have the piston contact the head? just sounds like something that would happen....

Comment

Not super knowledgeable w/ franks but I do know that the F20A DOHC and F22B DOHC share the same head, H23A1 is different. H23 uses a larger bore and I think, maybe 1 extra oil passage? There's a thread around on these ^ heads, plus compare the diff's from the H23 VS F22B DOHC headswap, that'll help.

Comment

The H23 is a P14 Casting, The F22B Dohc and F20A dohc are both PT2 castings.

The water ports in the head are different from the h23. The PT2 head will bolt up fine but you might have to match which head gasket is right. The PT2 heads will bolt onto the f22a block and use the f22a head gasket just fine though.

Comment

^and there you have it folks

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post

The water ports in the head are different from the h23. The PT2 head will bolt up fine but you might have to match which head gasket is right. The PT2 heads will bolt onto the f22a block and use the f22a head gasket just fine though.

So is the only issue I have is matching the the headgasket to the H23 block?.Will the different water ports affect anything?
            Sorry for all the questions,but I what to see what Im getting into before I purchase the head.
            www.PreludePower.com
            BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

the bores are diff also, hence the diff castings. the f20a head is 85mm bore and the h23 87mm bore. i would be careful, since usually people do f22/h23 head, not h23/f20a head. its going backwards in all the "frank" threads. prob uncharted waters.

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
              So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

JDM F20A DOHC and the JDM F22B DOHC heads are identical. An F20A DOHC head swap onto and H23A block may end up being more complicated than you'd like.

In addition to this:

You may have to experiment with timing belt/water pump combinations and see what works best as well.
                R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

For the price of trying to make an F20A DOHC work. You should just have your H23 head reconditioned. They will clean, replace bad valves, perform valve job and replace guide seals. Put you near $250.

You will be spending more than $100 on F20A head to make it work.
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Wow,talk about revived from the dead.lol This thread is over a year and a half old. I didn't even bother purchasing the SI head.All I did was resurface the h23 head with new exhaust valves on one of the cylinders because they were burnt. I have this motor out of my car and plan to tear it down as learning experience, but now I have fresh JDM motor swapped in my car.
                    www.PreludePower.com
                    BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Working...
                    X