No announcement yet.

diy filled motor mounts question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't use the window weld stuff, it does not hold up as well as the McMaster Carr poly. The window stuff will never really harden enough, remains too soft and doesn't last. I know that first-hand as someone recommended that to me and I was not satisfied.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

if done right it should hold with just 3 mounts and you can bump the dog-bone in the front because its actually that solid. It sbeen done with my last 2 turbo setups along with my last 2 allmotor setups.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
        How high an idle gives acceptable smoothness with filled (in your case, reinforced) mounts?
        It depends on how long the string happens to be. A stock engine in good condition / tune should idle smoothly enough at / near the stock idle speed, even in fairly hard mounts. I used to own a 'one of a kind' sports car fitted with an 1800cc Fiat twin cam engine mounted in virtually solid mounts, and this idled acceptably smoothly at 800rpm.

My CB7 engine idles smoothly at 700rpm, and it's a pretty stock motor. Vibration is more than with mounts in stock condition, but far from a problem. This engine has the IACV disabled so the idle speed doesn't automatically adjust for auxiliary loads (AC, and high electrical loads), so when loaded (with AC use etc) the idle does drop about 200rpm causing unpleasant vibration which is exacerbated by the stiff mounting. So, in summer I bump the base idle up by about 100rpm to reduce idle roughness when the AC is in use (if my wife complains, otherwise I just leave it...).

If the engine is modified (cam, changes to induction tract, diasabling balance shafts etc) then the engine may vibrate more at stock idle speeds and so this may need to be raised in order to reduce vibration, just how far depending on what's been done to the engine (some engines will never idle smoothly unless the idle is ridiculously high, e.g. some F1 engines idle at around 4000rpm). Of course with a racing engine the vibration is less of an issue than it is for a road car.
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
          if done right it should hold with just 3 mounts and you can bump the dog-bone in the front because its actually that solid. It sbeen done with my last 2 turbo setups along with my last 2 allmotor setups.
          Yup yup.

Just make sure the other 3 are in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
            i filled my rear 5spd ex mount. just got to tape it off good.
            did vibration get worse?

Comment

Working...
            X