screatching noise coming from the front, passenger side tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screatching noise coming from the front, passenger side tire

well in the past few days ive been noticing that a high pitched screatching noise, which almost sounds like metal on metal, has been coming from my front right tire area...at first i thought the noise only came when i braked sometimes but recently ive had events where i would hit a bump with the front right tire and then the noise would come...today it got even worse and when it started making the noise it wouldnt stop until i reduced the speed to about 10-20 mph...then it would start again before long...my dad told me to drop the car into neutral when the noise happened but that didnt effect it at all, also just pressing the brake doesnt stop the noise, i have to almost come to a complete stop for it to go away...

anyone have any ideas what this is?

thanks

Get a FREE PLAYSTATION 3 before anyone else can!!!

It sounds like something with the brake pads. If it makes the sound when braking, it could be the rivets that come through warn out pads scratching the rotor... Also, sometimes a pad can slip down and be rubbing against the hub.

Comment

if that were the case could the noise still come even if i wasnt breaking but just hit a bump in the road?

Comment

If the bump is hard enough then it could move an already loose pad and cause it to grind the hub even more. You need to isolate when it happens, bump or breaking, or both, it could possibly be suspension related too..

Comment

nah sounds more like brake hardware to me.

you know the clips that hold the pad in on the top and the bottom, i bet that is touching the rotor and is loose...

though check the pads while u are down there
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

alright guys thanks ill tell you what i find out

Comment

wheel bearing

hey its a guess but if it isnt only doing it when you brake it could be a wheel bearing and it would explain it doing it when yo uhit a bump b/c i had a truck that did the same thing so it might be a wheel bearing if it isnt the brakes check it i belive it is

Comment

well i took the car to my dads friends shop and they told me my front brake pads were worn pretty bad and the noise was being caused by the worn pad rubbing against the rotor...anyways i got new brake pads up front and the noise is gone, thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                X