egr cleaning without drilling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

egr cleaning without drilling?

hey guys, a few weeks ago i popped off my egr just to see how dirty it was (trying to get better then 12-15mpg) and mother of god it was caked in carbon!!! the whole intake manifold passage seems to be caked in as well. but im not very comfortable with the idea of drilling out the little cleaning pins (really dont want the engine full of metal shavings and if im going to pull the whole manifold off i mind as well get one from a junkyard and clean it up) , is there any alternative ways to cleaning it out? i have a smog check in February and would like to try my best at getting everything in good working order so it doesn't fail..
    Blake.
    1994 Accord Part out!
    Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

I have been able to pull the plugs out a couple different ways without drilling. For some, I was able to use a thread tap that engaged the inside diameter of the plug and pull it out. One that was more difficult (if I remember correctly) I punched a hole through the center, then put a sheet metal screw through it, then pulled it out. I also hooked up a piece of rubber fuel line to my shop vac to try to suck from an adjacent hole (assuming the passageway is somewhat open) when spraying carb cleaner down one hole to minimize how much was dropping in to the manifold.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Well, it's either do a spare manifold or do yours whether on the motor or not. If you grease the drill bit, that helps alot if you plan to drill the brass all the way thru. All 7 service port plugs are just under 5/16" or 7mm thick. I used an 1/8" drill bit and a self tapping #10 (I think) deck screw in my 2 lb. slide hammer. Having a shop vac around helps too. Def. tap them down first to shock them loose and heating up the runners helps expand the alum. away from the brass. Also, let the drill bit do the work, the extra pushing can lead to the bit snapping off if it pops through an hits the aluminum of the runner just the right way. Recently did this on a 00 Lude SH, filled the holes in the plugs w/ copper seal.

Comment

if i drill threw the middle of the plug and use a scerw to pull it out without the scerw going all the way threw could i reuse them? i dont have a local honda to order the new ones, or could i pick something up that would work in there place from home depot or something?

i hate sounding like a noob ><
        Blake.
        1994 Accord Part out!

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Accord View Post
          if i drill threw the middle of the plug and use a scerw to pull it out without the scerw going all the way threw could i reuse them? i dont have a local honda to order the new ones, or could i pick something up that would work in there place from home depot or something?

No you cant reuse them if they have a hole in them lol. You would have a huge vaccum leak. I drilled mine out with a drill press while the manifold was off the car. Maybe you could take out the one all the way on the right and just spray through the manifold via the EGR port hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            No you cant reuse them if they have a hole in them lol. You would have a huge vaccum leak. I drilled mine out with a drill press while the manifold was off the car. Maybe you could take out the one all the way on the right and just spray through the manifold via the EGR port hole.
            incorrect u can reuse them jb weld the hole u use to pull em out n hammer them back in. I've done it countless times with no issues, especially since the larger of all the plugs honda has no replacement for in stock.
            Summer 11' Big plans (Bodywork/paint/rims etc..) in Progress STAY TUNED

CLICK THE PIC

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Accord View Post

No, that's what this site is for! I feel that most aren't detailed enough.

I drilled thru completely on the lude, ended up filling the holes w/ hi temp rtv silicone. I was concerned that if I didn't drill all the way there wouldn't be enough brass and the screw would yank right out. I would not use jb weld just b/c you may or may not have to drill the jb weld out next time. Plus, you'd have jb weld chips poss. falling in, that would be worse than brass IMO. RTV is very soft, you could drive the screw right back in even by hand next time around.

Of course if the manifold is off, you could drill and tap all 7 holes for 1/2" 13tpi or 20tpi and use pipe plugs that use an allen wrench for example. That's what I did on my manifold even though the egr is blocked off.

Comment

seen lots of people reuse the plugs by filling them with high-temp epoxy.

here's the part number for them 17199-PT3-AHM. though they may have changed it by now.

you could try something like this:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&highlight=egr

this guy did it without drilling through the brass plugs:
                http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf
                later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I bought 6 honda replacements years ago before I realized all the options for the plugs, but they were mild steel zinc plated "thimbles" def. nothing like the orig. brass ones.

I have yet to do service ports on manifold like the H23A1, that I would not do on the motor just b/c of all the drilling needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                    JB weld works wonders.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

jb approved member

also dont you think if you are getting 12-15mpgs and you have to pass smog
                      taking the mani out, cleaning it, doing the egr, adjusting the tps would be a better idea, than just pulling the plugs

gasket is cheap, and it doesnt take more than a day for a regular noob
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

for the price of jb weld and silicone, just add like maybe a couple more dollars and you have the caps from honda already. LOL.
                        The beginning of a new era............................
                        165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                        184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                          seen lots of people reuse the plugs by filling them with high-temp epoxy.

here's the part number for them 17199-PT3-AHM. though they may have changed it by now.

you could try something like this:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&highlight=egr

this guy did it without drilling through the brass plugs:
                          http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf
                          later.
                          thanks that helps alot!
                          Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                          jb approved member

also dont you think if you are getting 12-15mpgs and you have to pass smog
                          taking the mani out, cleaning it, doing the egr, adjusting the tps would be a better idea, than just pulling the plugs

gasket is cheap, and it doesnt take more than a day for a regular noob
                          yeah pulling the manifold would be best since i need to clean the iacv again anyway... but short on funds sucks ... i can pull the manifold easily as i have replaced head gaskets on other hondas and pretty much know the tear down on them just haven't had one that had theses egr plugs before!

i just start wondering if i pull the intake manifold i mind as well get a whole new gasket kit... if i get a whole new gasket kit i mind as well rebuild the engine (has around 300k on it... compression numbers were pretty low and she has alot of blow by/burns oil) and then there comes alot of money haha (yes i over think everything!!) but i do reckon i should just try replacing the 02 sensor, and removing the IM and clean it up really good and hope for the best ... if it fails then atleast i didnt put tooo much money in to it and off to honda heaven it goes and i will have to find another cb but maybe one without rust!
                          Blake.
                          1994 Accord Part out!

Comment

Originally posted by jhondayaaj View Post
                            for the price of jb weld and silicone, just add like maybe a couple more dollars and you have the caps from honda already. LOL.
                            except the original caps are way better than the crap that they sell nowadays.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                            X