accord has low or no compression in the cylinders....need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accord has low or no compression in the cylinders....need advise

so I bought a accord for $500, lowered, I/H/E 17" wheels, etc but it was from a girl(no disrespect ladies) who didn't know much about the car. She bought it from some ricer guy who did some crappy mods to an automatic, smh. Anyway the car quit running and she said she had it compression check and the results were as followed 0, 55, 25, and the last number was smeared out but I can bet it wasn't high, lol. Now before I go buy another engine, is it possible that this could be the head gasket. The oil and coolant aren't mixing. I tried to start it but it sounds pitiful Let me know if you think it's the rings or the head gasket. Thanks
    Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Originally posted by 1991acclude View Post
    so I bought a accord for $500, lowered, I/H/E 17" wheels, etc but it was from a girl(no disrespect ladies) who didn't know much about the car. She bought it from some ricer guy who did some crappy mods to an automatic, smh. Anyway the car quit running and she said she had it compression check and the results were as followed 0, 55, 25, and the last number was smeared out but I can bet it wasn't high, lol. Now before I go buy another engine, is it possible that this could be the head gasket. The oil and coolant aren't mixing. I tried to start it but it sounds pitiful Let me know if you think it's the rings or the head gasket. Thanks
    Do the tests yourself first, they could have messed up the test. A leak down test well give you your answer about the head gasket.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

yes sir i gotta do a leakdown test

I checked the timing belt and the cam, both are intact and fine. So now it's rings, the intake or exhaust valves or head gasket......i think lol, I'm tryin to not replace the engine but only the leak down will tell.
      Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

During compression check listen for air and feel for air where your dipstick goes. Pull that bitch out and listen for air blowing by the rings.
        No air sound, its prolly not the rings.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Those compression test numbers are too low if you ask me. Does not seems like a gradual loss of compression. There may be something else went on with the engine other than previous owner's telling you.

I am curious to learn what you'll find with your own compression test.
          A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
            Those compression test numbers are too low if you ask me. Does not seems like a gradual loss of compression. There may be something else went on with the engine other than previous owner's telling you.

I am curious to learn what you'll find with your own compression test.
            Yeah, either it's hurt, or they didn't set the cylinder to TDC before testing.

Comment

i agree...

i believe they didn't set it to TDC per cylinder either. I'm hoping it's valves or something. But still even if they didn't set it to TDC per cylinder wouldn't the ones that read 0 even get some compression?
              Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Originally posted by 1991acclude View Post
                i believe they didn't set it to TDC per cylinder either. I'm hoping it's valves or something. But still even if they didn't set it to TDC per cylinder wouldn't the ones that read 0 even get some compression?
                Not if the valves were totally open in that cylinder.

And on a side note, a friend and me tried compression testing both of our cars and the meter wouldn't go above 90 psi. The valve in the fitting was jacked up. Just a thought. Just do the tests yourself, then you will know for certain. And I was reading the first post wrong, I thought it said leak down test for some reason.... TDC doesn't matter in a compression test.
                Last edited by dj_ender; 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Yes, as stated above, do the test yourself. I think there are people that don't follow all the steps. Not claiming to be an expert by any means but I was recently studying on doing a compression test and realized I did not know all the steps myself.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

when my cb blew a head gasket a few weeks ago i decided on a new engine because mine smoked through the rings

you might be better off going with a complete motor
                    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but TDC has no significance to a compression check since you're cranking the engine anyway. A leak down test requires TDC.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong but TDC has no significance to a compression check since you're cranking the engine anyway. A leak down test requires TDC.
                        correct

In a compression test, you are measuring the compression. Not the sustainable cylinder pressure. SO, the piston has to come up and down, and have a compression stroke to measure compression.

Usually you turn the car over for 8-10 seconds.

Another thing;

Make sure you do a compression test with the motor warm
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                          Not if the valves were totally open in that cylinder.

And on a side note, a friend and me tried compression testing both of our cars and the meter wouldn't go above 90 psi. The valve in the fitting was jacked up. Just a thought. Just do the tests yourself, then you will know for certain. And I was reading the first post wrong, I thought it said leak down test for some reason.... TDC doesn't matter in a compression test.

Yeah I clarified that already, I misread the initial post.

Comment

compression check....

hopefully I'll be doing a compression check myself tomorrow and I'll be adding oil into the cylinders to see if the compression will raise and possibly if the car will run. Either way I'm about by another engine especially since I have the money thanks for all the help and input.
                            Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Cam timing (relating to timing belt) could be off, that would mean valves are opening and closing @ the wrong time, that would = very little compression. You should check this. Do your comp. test w/ the motor warm, pull all 4 plugs, and wide open throttle during cranking. I've also seen some gauges read very high and some read low It's mostly for consistency across all cylinders.

Comment

Working...
                              X