Distributor still leaking after New O ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributor still leaking after New O ring

Just like the title says, I replaced my O ring on my Dizzy and it was dryed out and cracked, 3 days later i got oil back on top of my tranny. Is there a cam seal on the Dizzy side of the Cam? Or should I do the seals in my Dizzy? How difficult or they?

Kind of engine?

Comment

Oil cold be leaking from VC.
      A&P-IA

Comment

More info would be nice but as said above it can be the valve cover gasket. Maybe u didnt tighten the bolts good enough ,, they dont need to be hulked but u dont aant them loose
        10th Anniversary Accord.
        05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

F22a6, and i tightened the valve cover down pretty good, i even tap it a few times with a rubber hammer and tighten them sum more.

Comment

Did you get the right O-ring ? Is it seated right ? I replaced mine since it was stock and it stoped leaking. I did it the easy way by just pulling the dizzy out and the old one was obviously dryrotted. I just put the new one in just likr you put a condom on and that was it. Clean that area out good and see exactly where it is comming from. The housibg might have a hole or a crack.
            10th Anniversary Accord.
            05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Originally posted by 91@CCORD74 View Post
              F22a6, and i tightened the valve cover down pretty good, i even tap it a few times with a rubber hammer and tighten them sum more.
              Over tightening causes oil to leak sometimes. Old and hard gasket will leak sometimes regardless tightness.

You need to locate the source of oil leak first in order to correct it. I use Spotcheck SKD-S2 Developer. It works really good.
              A&P-IA

Comment

Clean the engine bay and then look for leaks. Its much easier.

How was the surface of the o-ring on the engine side? Did it have any scoring? Was it super dirty?
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Easier than what??

Cleaning engine is THE first step of locating oil leak, without saying.
                  Last edited by oyajicool; 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

Is oil leaking from INSIDE the distributor and is oil on the inside of the distributor cap? Def. check the housing seal on the dist. itself. There's 2 to watch out for, the external o ring and the internal housing seal:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...utor+leak+seal

Comment

New update: ok I cleaned the engine bay to locate the oil leak. Come to find out its not my Distributor like I thought it was. It's also dry around the valve cover gasket. Could it be the Head GAsket? I have a small oil puddle on top of my transmission. Took the dizzy off, it was dry n not leaking. What options do I have left?

Comment

Keep looking for the source of oil leak till found and correct it.
                        Keep filling oil to compensate for loss of oil due to leak.
                        Sell the car and buy another one with no oil leak.

Just a few, take a pick.

I would go with the first one it it was me.
                        Last edited by oyajicool; 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                          Keep looking for the source of oil leak till found and correct it.
                          Keep filling oil to compensate for loss of oil due to leak.
                          Sell the car and buy another one with no oil leak.

Just a few, take a pick.

I would go with the first one it it was me.
                          my reverse light was kinda loose, could it be tranny fluid coming out the tranny? and also where can i find the inner seal and cap seal for the dizzy cas i think the cap is leaking oil

Comment

I don't have AT. So, I don't know anything about it.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...3%29+%28TEC%29

Picture in link does not show inner seal (shaft seal) of distributor. But I know some one of this forum had it changed before, IIRC. You may want look for that thread or others may chime in on it.

Or change distributor with new or re-man, which for sure to have new seal installed already.
                            Last edited by oyajicool; 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                              I don't have AT. So, I don't know anything about it.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...3%29+%28TEC%29

Picture in link does not show inner seal (shaft seal) of distributor. But I know some one of this forum had it changed before, IIRC. You may want look for that thread or others may chime in on it.

Or change distributor with new or re-man, which for sure to have new seal installed already.
                              I agree with oyajicool many times the internal seal wears out and starts to leak. It is much easier to just buy a re-man distributor to fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X