Crank Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Pulley

Ok I know there are already posts about this but I need help. I was attempting to do the timing belt and I got caught up on the crank pulley bolt. I can not get the bolt to break free. I have tried two different impacts and neither have worked. Is there any tricks to break it free? I don't have the special tool so I can't use a breaker bar. I also don't have torches I can use, all I have is a propane torch that is not even close to being hot enough.
    1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Map gas and try the impacts again? My first t-belt job years ago, mechanic used a chain wrench over the p/s row, got it off, made afew small chips that I had to clean up w/ a file. Not sure if you could get a good purchase w/ a pry bar on the flywheel via the inspection hole in the block. Last trick I've heard of is removing a spark plug, let's say #1 cyl, when piston is not @ TDC, feed a thick nylon rope down the hole, then bring to/close to TDC. The rope will prevent any further rotation. But then IMO you're taxing the internals and even the valves too possibly

Maybe combine afew of the ideas above like chainwrench + prybar + map gas + huge breaker bar

Comment

ya my uncle has a map gas torch so I may try to borrow it, i already have his impact and compressor.

the impact had 600 lb/ft in reverse.

Comment

rent the tool is probably the best option, dont scuff it up too much and return it when the job is done, thats what I did
        MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
        1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

There is no auto stores around that I can rent the tool from.

Comment

shitty dude, I was having trouble like you with the impacts not even budging it so I finally gave in and bought a 18" flex bar and the tool and brought the pulley holder back when I was done. just made up some excuse on how I didn't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jking72 View Post
              shitty dude, I was having trouble like you with the impacts not even budging it so I finally gave in and bought a 18" flex bar and the tool and brought the pulley holder back when I was done. just made up some excuse on how I didn't need it.
              That's what I did as well. They don't mind...

Comment

I'm going to be borrowing a 3/4 impact so well see if that works

Comment

If it doesn't haynes says to stick a screwdriver into the flywheel or flex-plate. I plan to make my own tool when I get the time to do the job. You need this hex plumbing piece and flat piece of steel.

Comment

The EASIEST way to get it off is to put your socket on a breaker bar, position it against the control arm or frame where it will stop when turning clockwise.. get in the car and bump the starter. Works everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by cincy90h22 View Post
                      The EASIEST way to get it off is to put your socket on a breaker bar, position it against the control arm or frame where it will stop when turning clockwise.. get in the car and bump the starter. Works everytime.
                      Yea, no it doesn't. That tightens it.

Op - drive down to Honda, ask them to undo it then nip it back up.
                      We do it here for customers all the time.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                        Yea, no it doesn't. That tightens it.
                        Oops sorry, brain fart. I dont know what I what thinking. Our motor spins counterclockwise. Feel like a dumbass now

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
                          I'm going to be borrowing a 3/4 impact so well see if that works
                          That's the only reason I own a 3/4 impact gun, for Honda crank bolts. If that doesn't work then something is wrong.

Comment

Where are you finding the 3/4" sockets for the crank? I could only find 1/2" locally..

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                              Where are you finding the 3/4" sockets for the crank? I could only find 1/2" locally..
                              ya no doubt I cant find anything 3/4'' in my area

Comment

Working...
                              X