oil leak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak question

After replacing everything suggested, I still see oil drops. Here is my question

In this picture, I mentioned the valve cover gasket was replaced a couple of months ago. Inside the circle, should'nt you be able to see the gasket here? at least the rim of it?

Inside the square is where I can see the oil puddling up. If I put a tight folded sheet of paper towel in that cavity, there is no drop, oil stain, no spray, no mess, so I am 90% sure the oil is coming from there.

Also, there is NO oil in the spark plug cables nor in the spark plug holes.

If there were a damaged valve cover gasket, wouldn't there be oil in the spark plugs cavities/cables?

Is it common to have a faulty brandnew valve cover gasket?

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
    After replacing everything suggested, I still see oil drops. Here is my question

In this picture, I mentioned the valve cover gasket was replaced a couple of months ago. Inside the circle, should'nt you be able to see the gasket here? at least the rim of it?
    It's been a while since I had the cam cover off, but I recall that the gasket is completely compressed until the metal of the cam cover meets the metal of the head. The gasket is completely hidden if memory is correct.

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
    Inside the square is where I can see the oil puddling up. If I put a tight folded sheet of paper towel in that cavity, there is no drop, oil stain, no spray, no mess, so I am 90% sure the oil is coming from there.

Also, there is NO oil in the spark plug cables nor in the spark plug holes.

If there were a damaged valve cover gasket, wouldn't there be oil in the spark plugs cavities/cables?

Is it common to have a faulty brandnew valve cover gasket?
    It just means that the gasket is seeping where it's seal is weakest, the seal is obviously OK everywhere other than where the seepage is occurring. However, a relatively new and correctly fitted gasket shouldn't be leaking anywhere, unless there is something unusual causing it to leak. Perhaps the crankcase pressure is too high? Is the PCV valve working correctly and the PCV hoses unblocked and uncracked? Is there substantial blow-by?

If crankcase pressure is normal (or reasonably so), then maybe there is a nick in the metal or some foreign matter between the gasket and metal causing a leak...???

If nothing unusual is happening yet the gasket still leaks, then you could try refitting the gasket using a non hardening gasket sealant (Loctite 'Aviation Gasket No3' is my personal favourite, but anything similar will do, just not silicone).

The spark plug tubes are sealed each by their own individual gaskets that are separate from the main gasket around the edge. A leak in the main gasket won't cause oil leakage into the spark plug tubes.
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

When you did the valve cover gasket, did you use honda bond (rtv) on the sharp angles where you are supposed to? Looks like two things:

1: Not a Honda gasket: felpro and other brands are more prone to leaking.
      2: Possibly did not use Honda Bond on a clean surface in the corners to properly install the new gasket.

Comment

This is a photo of one of my LXs.

The HG was replaced by PO (an auto mechanic for living) previously. I haven't driven this one for that long but no sign of leak. I have no idea what brand of gasket he used or if he used RTV on the spots specified by Honda.

See blue on arc around the cam shaft boss. That is a section of HG.
        A&P-IA

Comment

oyajicool: That is a section of the valve cover gasket, not the head gasket.

greenquark: Was the o-ring on the distributor housing (seals the housing to the cam shaft boss) replaced? If that seal is leaking, it may also end up where you indicate the oil is accumulating. Looks like you need to do some cleaning around the area to make it easier to trace the leak.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

oh, year.

I used wrong word while thinking the right part.

Thank you for pointing it out.
            A&P-IA

Comment

Yes sir, The internal seal and the o-ring from the distributor were replaced 1 month ago.

I have read you need a torque wrench in order to put those 4 screws back on the top of the engine block correctly since you could get in trouble by not doing this. COuld I put the top out without using the torque wrench when I have to put it back in?

Definitely Mine doesn't look like oyajicool's picture. I cannot see the blue line. I bought this cover at Canadian tire, The last one before I bought it from honda dealer, but the mechanic told me not to spend that amount of money, a regular one would be ok.

Comment

I would use a torque wrench; if you don't have one, it is a good investment. Too many sob stories from people who have broken the bolts when not using one. I have used FelPro gasket kits for the valve cover with success.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

You do not need a torque wrench to remove the cover, just to put it back on. Be sure and get an in-lbs wrench.

Comment

If you never get your leak to stop it could also be seeping out where the cam cap sits on the head. Highly unlikely but Honda urges the use of hondabond on the caps before the rocker ass'y is put on. For clarification check out the procedure for the lower spark plug tube seals. For now, keep the whole area oil free and keep an eye out for the source of the leak.

Comment

Leaks in the indicated spots are caused from no sealant at the cam humps, loose bolts on the dizzy collar, or from warped valve cover washers.
                      Originally posted by Mishakol129
                      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I might remove the cover this weekend and check it out by myself. So far is not to noticeable. The problem is that the drop hangs until the fan gets it off and make it like spray all over the area. With a piece of paper on that area absorbing the drops, I don;t get the mess

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                          You do not need a torque wrench to remove the cover, just to put it back on. Be sure and get an in-lbs wrench.
                          What is the difference?

Comment

Working...
                          X