High oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High oil pressure

I got 80 psi oil pressure at 2k rpms. I just installed oil pressure gauge today. Idle is fine. My sensor is attached to adapter plate on oil filter. Does the pressure read higher if the sensor is not totally flush inside of the oil adapter plate. I would think since the sensor is taken a reading after the initial push thru the filter that the pressure would be a little lower than norm.

According to the OEM service manual, after warming up the engine (fan comes on at least twice) it indicates the oil temperature should be 176 degrees F, oil pressure at idle 10 psi minimum, at 3,000 rpm 50 psi minimum. Note, this reading is downstream of the filter.

I'm not clear on where you're tapping into the oil pressure? Did you drill and tap a hole into the oil cooler (what you're calling the adapter plate)? If that is where you installed it, I believe you're reading the pressure upstream of the filter.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-15-2017, 10:40 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      According to the OEM service manual, after warming up the engine (fan comes on at least twice) it indicates the oil temperature should be 176 degrees F, oil pressure at idle 10 psi minimum, at 3,000 rpm 50 psi minimum. Note, this reading is downstream of the filter.

I'm not clear on where you're tapping into the oil pressure? Did you drill and tap a hole into the oil cooler (what you're calling the adapter plate)? If that is where you installed it, I believe you're reading the pressure upstream of the filter.
      I have an oil filter adapter plate with plugs i installed to accompany oil pressure and temp gauges. It will read 90psi at 2k when cold. upstream would make better sense for a higher pressure reading. Am guessing this has to be cause. I had no ideal what the flow of oil was. Outside of filter to inside would cause some substantial increased psi readings i would think given where i have my sensors. I just assumed inside to outside made better sense for flow. 50 psi minimum is good to know. What psi do gaskets start to leak at?

Comment

Would 90 psi in upstream to be about normal u think. Maybe i should just find a way to plug right into the oem stock sensor. The custom oil pressure sensor does have a light function but i don't really want to mess with stock design functionality of the car and just control when the light come son. Even though i can't see a valid reason why not. Is there a plug extension for that 1/8 plug for oil pressure sender hole that would work maybe? So then i can hook up 3 and get rid of that oil filter adapter plate.

Comment

I don't know what the pressure drop across filter would be (relatively new or old?). You should be able to find a "T" fitting(s) at a hardware store that would allow you to install the pressure sensor and the OEM pressure switch at the switch location; leave the temperature measurement at the filter adapter.

Is the light function of the gauge effectively just a switch?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            I don't know what the pressure drop across filter would be (relatively new or old?). You should be able to find a "T" fitting(s) at a hardware store that would allow you to install the pressure sensor and the OEM pressure switch at the switch location; leave the temperature measurement at the filter adapter.

Is the light function of the gauge effectively just a switch?
            Its relatively new filter. The light function is a switch i set to a low psi and it will turn on a 5 volt light. Yeah the t fitting with pressure gauge there would be better i think and leave the temp at adapter plate. So is 90 psi ok? Should i be worried.

Comment

I really have nothing to contribute here but one thing to be mindful of is that the oil pressure sending unit + engine block are tapped for 1/8" BSPT (British standard pipe thread). Hardware stores will have NPT (National pipe thread) only, the auto parts store could be a shot in the dark. Maybe try to find a place that has a vast selection of hard to find fittings. Most people just order honda specific adapters online. 1/8" NPT is close but it's not the same as 1/8" BSPT and you would risk damage and leaks.

Comment

Thanks, good info to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                  I really have nothing to contribute here but one thing to be mindful of is that the oil pressure sending unit + engine block are tapped for 1/8" BSPT (British standard pipe thread). Hardware stores will have NPT (National pipe thread) only, the auto parts store could be a shot in the dark. Maybe try to find a place that has a vast selection of hard to find fittings. Most people just order honda specific adapters online. 1/8" NPT is close but it's not the same as 1/8" BSPT and you would risk damage and leaks.
                  That is good to know. I just found that out by accident as i almost ordered npt male. It would fit but then 5 years from now i would wonder why it is leaking. Good info to point out. I ordered the Squirrelly Oil Pressure Sending Unit Adapter 1/8" BSPT . I t was the only one i could find with bspt male.

Comment

Any RPM over idle (750-800) you may see anywhere from 20-100psi. I should have been more specific when I posted my information about the oil pressure readings.

It states that the oil pressure should read a minimum of 50psi @ 3500 rpm. Therefore 80psi is perfectly fine.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                      Any RPM over idle (750-800) you may see anywhere from 20-100psi. I should have been more specific when I posted my information about the oil pressure readings.

It states that the oil pressure should read a minimum of 50psi @ 3500 rpm. Therefore 80psi is perfectly fine.
                      Too late part already ordered. Is it better to use the adapter and have that pressure sender with stock ops?
                      Last edited by zedjr10; 03-17-2017, 12:57 AM.

Comment

BTW i am wondering now when i need to put stock ops back in , it is going to go into a 1/8 npt. Do i also need an adapter bspt/npt or is this ok? As it will be just a little tighter.

Never mind i checked, the unit is set up with bspt female also. Cool. Others would might like to know though.
                        Last edited by zedjr10; 03-17-2017, 01:08 AM.

Comment

IMO you should leave the stock OPS where it is and use your aftermarket sending unit in a different location or use a Tee fitting with appropriate threads. A sandwich plate between the oil filter and block is a very common and reliable way to have multiple access ports to the inlet and/or outlet sides of the oil filter.

I would not advise mixing NPT with BSPT. It would be best practice to get the proper fittings or use adapters. I'm not a big fan of multiple bushings/adapters to make parts fit. Just more joints that could leak.
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Ordered a oil cooler seal. Local part stores i don't think carry them. Am going to replace that also while i am down there.

Comment

Measuring only upstream of the filter could give a false sense of security; you don't know how much pressure you're losing through the filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X