Shifting gears...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting gears...

Ok, so yesterday I was driving home, went by my school and saw an empty parking lot :P

It was raining, but I didn't think, went to parking lot, dumped in 1st gear, shifted to second and was flooring it. The car didn't really move and was doing 60-70mph, basically the top of 2nd gear. Now that I look back, it was a very stupid thing to do.

Anyway, after that, shifting into gears is a little odd. There really isn't a loud sound made, more of a feel. It's hard to describe, not really a big shake or anything. It happens after I let the clutch out so it can engage the gear.

This occurs going into all the gears, only in upshifts, but less as you get to a higher gear. It's only really noticeable going into 1st and 2nd, but a little into 3rd and not really at all into 4th or 5th, however going into 4th you can still realize that it's happening.

It's like a slight shake, maybe as if something is bouncing back and forth but I don't hear any sounds of this sort. I should also say that after doing it in the parking lot, there was a weird smell. I'm not sure if this was some kind of liquid I smelled, but it could have been the tires, but this wasn't a usual smell like I've smelled in the past after hard use. Maybe the water did something so it smelled differently, which I doubt, but that's just a thought that came to me.

Any help is appreciated!

Oh yeah, I should mention, 91 LX 5 speed!

Comment

you might just be letting the clutch out too quickly after you put it in gear...

Comment

Originally posted by clarksterdotcom
        you might just be letting the clutch out too quickly after you put it in gear...
        This never happened in the past...

I think I know what you're referring to, and it's not the change in RPM's that's causing this

Comment

The smell that u smelled could have been ur clutch man.

Comment

burning clutch= tire smell..

i would say ur clutch is almost done... being that u can smell it burning..

i bet if u change ur clutch u wouldn't have a problem shifting..
            http://www.get-gifts-for-free.com/?ref_id=4810

1992 Honda Accord 4dr 5spd EX- R.I.P 8/10/05

Comment

burnt clutch smells NOTHING like roasted tires....and its not the rpm change when you are shifting its your synchros that are grabbing HARD..maybe when you were smashing gears in the rain you were screwing with your synchros..dont know need more info

Comment

I would say synchros.. but only when its one or two gears that do this. Since its all gears, and you smelled something burning, sounds like the clutch. an old/worn clutch would be liable to slip in a situation like that and burn a little off. And its getting down to the level where its not engaging all the way.

smell of burning rubber = good
                smell of clutch = nasty

Comment

Damn, I'm a dumbass for doing that!

The clutch has lasted so long, ~170k miles so it's the origional one... Ugh, I really don't want to have to get a new clutch.

Can you guys describe what the clutch would smell like? Nothing smelled like it was "burned"

Comment

just get a new one, better now then later.... get a clutchmaster clutch/flywheel package and keep performance in mind...

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

maybe you glazed your clutch over? or perhaps your front torque mount strut bushing broke. Its hard to say you didnt really give a good description, is it only when shifting, when accelerating, is it fine when cruising?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

If you need a new OEM clutch, I got a used one that was only in for a half a year before I put my stage 1 in. If you want it send me PM and we will negociate haha

Comment

Originally posted by AgaBoogaBoo
                          Damn, I'm a dumbass for doing that!

The clutch has lasted so long, ~170k miles so it's the origional one... Ugh, I really don't want to have to get a new clutch.

Can you guys describe what the clutch would smell like? Nothing smelled like it was "burned"

Burning clutch smells like any kind of electrical fire. If you ever smelt a burnt computer power supply, or anything electronic burning it smells like that.
                          Edit: It's a very pungent smell, recognizable.. also smells like burnt brakes..

Comment

Originally posted by trendyexr
                            Burning clutch smells like any kind of electrical fire. If you ever smelt a burnt computer power supply, or anything electronic burning it smells like that.
                            Edit: It's a very pungent smell, recognizable.. also smells like burnt brakes..
                            Ok, then it's not that for sure

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                              maybe you glazed your clutch over? or perhaps your front torque mount strut bushing broke. Its hard to say you didnt really give a good description, is it only when shifting, when accelerating, is it fine when cruising?
                              Only when shifting, however not during downshifting (I do rev match)

Comment

Working...
                              X