Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do The 90 Accords Have The Most Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do The 90 Accords Have The Most Problems?

I believe the 90 Accords have the most problems compared to the 91-93 Accords. This comes from personal experience. The 91 Accords have all the defects corrected from the 90 (this is my theory), same for the 93 Accord having all the problems resolved from the 92.

I think the 91 Accords are better than the 90 because the 90 Accords were the first model year of the generation.

True or False?

True. Same with any model re-design. I like the last year for a model because they've usually fixed most of the bugs and improved the things that annoyed people. (Automatic seatbelts!!!!)

Don't get me wrong.. I like the automatic belts... but the other 99.9% of Accord owners didnt.

Comment

It might have some influence but I think how it is/was treated is 10x more influentual. I have a 90 and it's pretty damn straight

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by xaxis360
        True. Same with any model re-design. I like the last year for a model because they've usually fixed most of the bugs and improved the things that annoyed people. (Automatic seatbelts!!!!)

Don't get me wrong.. I like the automatic belts... but the other 99.9% of Accord owners didnt.
        i like them...we have them in the 88 camry as well. only two cars i drive

but yea, i think we do have the most problems but the actual amount of problems aint much.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I say at this point in time....false. Maybe when these cars were brand new, all new generation models have bugs that have to be worked out. But just like you said, any defects or bugs that were realized were corrected for the next model year run, and the cars already produced were recalled. Also, any other issues with the early production cars that may have cropped up over the years has already come and gone. For example, the 90 Accord trunk springs, automatic transmission mainshaft nut, igniter, etc. But all these problems were corrected on the earlier cars. So, at this point in time, 90-93's are pretty much all the same as far as reliability and so fourth. Besides, CB7's are so old and so high in milage and so many parts on these cars have been replaced over the years that this "first model year run" thing isn't going to have any affect on anything anymore. See what I'm saying?
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

I say false. I have a '90 that was built in June of that year and it has had fewer problems than ANY car I have ever encountered. I am just shy of 200K and my first problem is the main relay is starting to act up. It also had the leaky cam seal problem corrected at 20K, but that is it. I don't drive it gently either, but I am meticulous about the maintenance.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

What exactly was that mainshaft nut recall and was it a big deal for Honda to fix? It seems like they would have had to drop the transmission if it has something to do with the mainshaft.

I remember my Mom getting a letter about it when I was a kid. Something about it falling off or coming loose and the transmission will make a whining sound??? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                It also had the leaky cam seal problem corrected at 20K
                lol....hehehe....well, ALL 90-02 4cyl Accords have the leaky cam seal problem....if it hasn't been replaced in the last 5 years or so I garantee you its smoked.

Also, about the transmission shaft nut, this recall came out long before I started working for Honda, so I've never actually done one myself, I've just heard about it from the oldtimers. All they did was drop the right side of the transmission down a little, pull off the endcase and replace one of the shaft nuts or something.
                00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
                  lol....hehehe....well, ALL 90-02 4cyl Accords have the leaky cam seal problem....if it hasn't been replaced in the last 5 years or so I garantee you its smoked.

Also, about the transmission shaft nut, this recall came out long before I started working for Honda, so I've never actually done one myself, I've just heard about it from the oldtimers. All they did was drop the right side of the transmission down a little, pull off the endcase and replace one of the shaft nuts or something.
                  Rear window motors/regulators were always a problem in the 90-93's, so I say false, because they never worked out this bug....
                  1991 Honda Accord Ex
                  Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

2003 BMW 330I Sport.....Daily Hustler....

Road Race #1
                  Totoro Squad #2

Comment

i owned a 92 and never had a problem with it. now own a 90 and am hitting every possibly honda bug.
                    IN LOVING MEMORY OF GEORGE R. BRACEY. 3/2/83 - 7/21/05 WE WILL NEVER EVER FORGET YOU. HATED BY FEW, LOVED BY MANY. IT'S TOO BAD YOUR LIFE WAS TAKEN BY AN UNEXPERIENCED DRIVER. ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS AND IN OUR MINDS MAY YOU REST IN PEACE.

Comment

The '90-'91 were prone to Transmission related issues with that sports mode problems and the related or unrelated(?) speed sensor failures. I liked how Honda phased-out the sports mode all of a sudden in '92.
                      '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                      EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

I can tell you one thing for sure...coming from someone who has owned 5 RX-7s....this aint NOTHIN compared to the amount of problems that can come from that car! Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my RX-7 and the problems are not that hard to fix and dont usually cost a lot. But my 92 Accord is STILL running strong, even with over 217,000 miles on it!

Comment

False. I have a 90 with 184,000 on it and it still runs like a champ. I think you run into those problems more with cars that are rushed to production i.e. cars like the focus and neons. Lame ass cars. Dont forget though that 90 was just the first year in America it had already been out for a year in Japan.

My Ride
                          myspace

Comment

They did not remove the sports button because it was causing problems. Honda viewed it as "unpractical." I have to insist that 90-91 Accords have more bugs than 92-93. But it still depends on the original/previous owners maintenence and treatment.

Sometimes, people don't think about how much of a drastic change and development took place with the 4th Generation Accords.

It was a major model change from the previous 86-89 accords. The engines were COMPLETELY new, the transmissions were completely new...and yes transmission(s). With so many things completely re-developed, there's going to be "bugs" in the first run. Overall, yes, the 1990 Accord was reliable. But it has a list of "bugs" that were corrected in the later years (from trunk springs to transmission upgrades to relay improvements to ECU's to distributor design). Keep in mind, the 1990 generation Accord began major development in 1986-1987! There hasn't been such a drastic mechanical change to the Accord until the latest Accord re-design in 2003.

IMO, pretty remarkable things to be developed in the 80's that most american car makers didnt catch up with for years later.

Comment

Working...
                            X