Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pad Fit Issues

Hi All-

1992 Accord EX coupe with Nissin calipers. Just did the knuckle replacement with Acura rotors.

I continue to heat up REAL bad on front.

I changed pads out in Decemberand were evenly worn. I did the lube of pin thing, etc and replaced with Raybestos 496 pads(for Nissin Caliper). I had to work at it to get these into the caliper bracket. My caliper bracket has the stainless steel ends stuffed into the bracket where the pads glide on. I literally had to hammer em in. This is where my trouble started.

I was always running hot hubs/rotors and of course they warped. Pulled pads and inner was almost new, outer almost worn. Had a bear of time pulling pad from cradle.

Fast forward to yesterday and replaced rotors and pads with cheepie pads, 496 for Nissin. Inner pad dropped in nicely, Outer pad is VERY tight and is going to bind. Today coming home- I can't believe how hot these things are. did I mention they were HOT?

If I take a bench grinder to take a slight edge off where these slide along bracket- should I be okay? I can't figure out why this is happening- unless the brackets are different between Nissin and Akebono? Maybe owner before me put Akebono bracket on Nissin caliper?

WTF?

Thanks
    Chris

i think im retartded cuz im having trouble understanding what you are saying...did you say that you did the rotor-over-hub swap and your rotors are warping? if so, what were the exact parts that you used?

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

if the pads aren't fitting and you had to hammer them in.... well they aren't going to wear correctly. the pads have to be able to slide and the shims are there to hold them back from moving around so much. I see this at work all the time... people come in and have uneven wear on the pads b/c they just had some shop mash em into place...
      if they are too bad then you will need to replace them but if not just shave the ends a lil bit do they ease in. if you have any questions pm me

Centre PA SCCA

Comment

Yes, you're safe to grind a little off to make it fit. Don't take off too much though! Had to do this on my friends 1990 Integra GS Hatch w/ 4 wheel disk and it worked fine, but before, those pads weren't going to go in. Good luck and great work w/ the CL rotor over hub conversion (at least that's what I think you did). I'll be doing the same eventually.

Dan

Comment

I am pretty sure that the nissin calipers are like the maroon interiors. Only a few like them, and they are just useless to the majority. After changing my pads on the stupid nissin calipers, I just bought a set of akebono's to replace them. The nissin are just made in the stupidest way. And the pads dont fit sometimes because the caliper has like 4 different springs which all wear out. My pads right now sit too far up, and the top of the pad hangs over the edge of the rotor. So these bad boys are gone soon.

edit.. i also had to grind some since they didnt fit right.

Comment

Funny- I got a maroon interior too!
            Glad to see I am not the only one with fit issues then. I just ground down each edge of the outer pad- let's see if thats a bit better. I may be just imagining it, but it does feel a little easier to launch though.

I see you are in Epping- I am about an hour from you in Fitchburg. If I can help answer any ????'s about the swap- more than happy- just make sure you have a 2 Jaw Tie Rod Puller- best thing I've ever used.

Chris
            Originally posted by aero3685
            I am pretty sure that the nissin calipers are like the maroon interiors. Only a few like them, and they are just useless to the majority. After changing my pads on the stupid nissin calipers, I just bought a set of akebono's to replace them. The nissin are just made in the stupidest way. And the pads dont fit sometimes because the caliper has like 4 different springs which all wear out. My pads right now sit too far up, and the top of the pad hangs over the edge of the rotor. So these bad boys are gone soon.

edit.. i also had to grind some since they didnt fit right.

Comment

Working...
            X