Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking at buying a 92 accord what should i look for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking at buying a 92 accord what should i look for??

I just tuned 16 and i found a really nice 1992 honda accord...it has a ton of aftermarket parts like carbon fiber hood, cold air intake, exhaust, rims, wheels, body kit and much more...but it has 143K miles on it or something...im not really worried about the miles too much cuz its a honda and i know they last...but i plan to do an engine swap in a year or 2...but im going to look at it soon..what should i look for on the car too make sure it good and all...any information and help will be great thanks....

This might help ya out....found it on the web

http://www.samarins.com/check/checklist.html

Can you get pics of the car to post?

Midwest car club

Current rides:
    91 accord lx (5spd)
    92 accord lx (5spd)
    93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

Test drive it in the city and highway see how she drives, any funny smells or noies?. Look under the car any leaks or areas that were or are banged up?
      Test the lights wipers and a/c heater. How dose it shift?
      Good price? Why is it being sold? Take a friend along, sometimes they will spot things that you ( the buyer ) wont.
      Last edited by sleepysal; 06-24-2005, 11:27 AM.

Comment

thanks...hopefully everything will work out good and the car will be in great working condition...then i can get the car...also how do you post pics...im new to this site and would love to get a pic of the car up...but im not sure how to post any pics....

Comment

Oh yeah.....before you go out and see the car, call the guy and tell him you want to start it cold. So when you start it up cold...check for any smoke. I know when some cars are warm they don't smoke, but on a cold start they will.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
          91 accord lx (5spd)
          92 accord lx (5spd)
          93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

Originally posted by 92CB7accord
            Oh yeah.....before you go out and see the car, call the guy and tell him you want to start it cold. So when you start it up cold...check for any smoke. I know when some cars are warm they don't smoke, but on a cold start they will.
            Thats sound advice.

Also check quarter panels for rust. Especially the rears. I didn't know anything about the CB7 when I bought mine and if I had known about the rust like I do now, I could of shaved a couple hundred more off the price when I bought it.

Also feel the brakes when coming to a stop. If they are pulsating, chances are it has warped rotors. Visually inspect the rotors to see if they are pitted and rusted out. --Another place I could of shaved some money off the asking prices.

Those are just a couple off the top of my head

Comment

accident history.

Comment

thats a good idea about starting it cold...yeah i never though about that..thanks again guys for all the help now im just waiting for him to call back so i can go and look at it...hopefully it will be sweet...

Comment

get a 93 EX

get a 93 honda accord EX 4 door !...

Comment

How many doors? Auto or manual? Which trim?

The car sounds nice, but it has been modified. That's not a bad thing, but it's all about the person who owned the car; Did the owner really "use" those modifications? Unless the car was seriously beaten, you may not be able to tell, but judge by the owner's character. Is he/she honest w/ you?

Also, check all the fluids (trans. maybe not possible). Do the axles pop and click? How are the radiator and fans, any overheating? Lastly, is the engine bay/ any part of the car hacked up?

Get all receipts too! Good luck and welcome aboard

Dan

Comment

BEST thing to do is take it to the dealer and have a "buyers check" done. Its about $80 but well worth it IMO because you have a certified Honda technician who knows exactly what to look for....then you know exactly what you are getting into as far as needed repairs. Also, find out from the owner what kind of work has been done recently, i.e. CV joints, timing belt/waterpump, radiator, clutch, and regular maintnance.
                      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

it an auto..which i really want a clutch but its a really nice car and i would get it even though its auto..its a 4 door...it look clean from the pics...its a kid who had the car before im pretty sure so im sure he beat on it alittle...in going too look at it tommarow...so ill check everything out and see what he sayz about...if i really like and i pretty sure im gonna get it than ill have a honda dealer to come down and take a look at it...thanks all for the help..ill have a lot more info on it tommarow...

Comment

Originally posted by sickaccord
                          it an auto..which i really want a clutch but its a really nice car and i would get it even though its auto..its a 4 door...it look clean from the pics...its a kid who had the car before im pretty sure so im sure he beat on it alittle...in going too look at it tommarow...so ill check everything out and see what he sayz about...if i really like and i pretty sure im gonna get it than ill have a honda dealer to come down and take a look at it...thanks all for the help..ill have a lot more info on it tommarow...
                          Well, you want to do the buys check before you buy it. Just tell the owner that you want to take it in to have it checked out, most of the time the're cool with that. If he objects, then you can be quite certain that he has something to hide....some sort of problem that he doesn't want you to find in which case you don't want the car anyway.
                          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

yeah my friends father is a boss or something for a honda dealer...so ill probably have him come and check out the car with me... or like you said take the car to his shop..i didnt get to go today but tommarow for sure...thanks for the help...

Comment

check the fenders and make sure that all the "lines" in the car line up. Ie. driverside fender and hood...stuff like that. as they said, check the lights and a/c and heat and stuff like that. Get under the car...I didn't and i missed the fact that the driverside CV shaft had a busted boot and leaked all sorts of grease everywhere (makes things a mess when you are trying to remove CV shafts ) I highly recommend taking it to a mechanic and have them test drive it (only one who would hook you up for free ) and see if they'd let you look under the car for leaks and stuff.

One nifty thing, check the oil cap...unless they know what they're doing and cleaned it before you get there....it can tell a bit on how frequenly they've changed the oil. Ask if they are orig owner, find how much records they have, why they bought it, why they are selling it...and a carfax wont tell all (remember, if it wasn't reported, it's not going to be there....) and follow the rest of the good advice here. We're sure you'll love honda
                              2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                              JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                              My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Working...
                              X