91 EX Sedan Crank Pulley Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 EX Sedan Crank Pulley Removal?

I have been chasing A/c problems all summer. Two compressors....filters...expansion valves...etc and now everything has locked up again! I first thought another compressor had gone south on me.....but upon removal of the P/S pump and cruise control I can see that the crank pulley has broken and separated. The outer pulley that drives the A/C and alternator has come loose. The center part that drives the power steering is fine. Is it possible to remove the crank pulley and replace it? I have found access to the crank nut through the wheel well . Other threads have stated to use an impact to remove the nut.....but is there enough room to change the pulley after the nut is removed? Or better yet.....what do I need to do? Many Thanks!

wow.. ive never heard of a crank pully breaking or seperating as you discribe it ... yes basically the only thing holding it is that bolt in the middle,geting that thing loose is the fun part ...you will need a impact gun or a very long breaker bar ...and a lot of strenght ..once the bolt comes of tap the pully a little and it should come loose ....

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

What you will need to do is jack up the engine a bit and then Remove the motor mount on the drivers side. Then lower the jack that will give you the room you need to remove the pully. Now the pully is VERY VERY hard to remove. The bolt that holds it is very hard to get out. A long breaker will work.

Comment

my crank pulley seperated on me a long time ago actually.. i had never heard of it either but trust me, it happened.. impact gun if you have one, breaker bar and a crowbar in the torque converter/flywheel if not.. or, if you have a cool honda dealer like i do, see if you can rent out their crankshaft pulley tool.. it works wonders..

Comment

Thanks.....I have access to an impact.....holding the crank still with the convertor is something I had not thought of......brain cells!

Comment

might be a good time to upgrade to a light weight pully like an aem or unorthodox racing one ...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

AEM doesnt make a Crank pulley, just the accesories....get a unorthodox one! but i heard them not being very efficient with the charging process??
              F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
              Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

I have unorthodox, and a small battery.. no problemo. But you can get the pulley off without removing anything else(besides power steering/a/c belt). Just get the bolt off, then pull it out some, and wiggle it, and grab the little key out with some needle nose pliers. then it'll come off easy. Remember to put the key back on obviously.

Comment

i believe the f22 crank pulley can slide off, barely enough room for it... wont work for those with the 6 rib h22 pulley...

if you dont have room to get it out, remove the front mount, and loosen the nut and bolt on the driver side mount. the tall stud and nut is long enough to let u loosen it to drop the motor but still be connected so you can tighten it again to lift the motor back up. no jack or anything needed.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

the alternator got shot and luckyly i was just 2blocks away from my brothers house, so i made it.. removed the alternator and went to autozone, they replaced it with no questions..(lifetime warranty ) thinking ahead, as the belts might be damaged, so i got a new pair.. as i was installing the the new belt, the crank pulley came of with my bare fingers as i was trying to fit in the new belt what do i do now? replace the whole crank pulley? anyone have an idea how much would a shop charge to fix it?(i don't have the time for a DIY ) would the car safely drive around 5miles to get it to the shop without the 2belts?

need your inputs please.. thanks..
                    Last edited by casterX; 04-23-2006, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by casterX
                      the alternator got shot and luckyly i was just 2blocks away from my brothers house, so i made it.. removed the alternator and went to autozone, they replaced it with no questions..(lifetime warranty ) thinking ahead, as the belts might be damaged, so i got a new pair.. as i was installing the the new belt, the crank pulley came of with my bare fingers as i was trying to fit in the new belt what do i do now? replace the whole crank pulley? anyone have an idea how much would a shop charge to fix it?(i don't have the time for a DIY ) would the car safely drive around 5miles to get it to the shop without the 2belts?

bump! anyone?

Comment

Yes i have had this happen the rubber dampener just wore out. I just had my friend with a trailer tow me to another friends house with air tools and got it fixed. You need a new Crank Pulley.

1. Dont drive your car, and your car wouldnt drive since you dont have anything charging your battery and such since there is no belt runnin to alternator. Dont drive it also because your gonna mess it up more.

2. As long as timing is fine all you need to do is take off the crank pulley/ inspect the keyway, and the bolt (mine was fine it just fell out). If you have an impact gun handy just impact on a new one.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

when the pulley came off did you still have the bolt or did you loose that and thats why the pulley came off ...

Comment

Originally posted by kapone
                            when the pulley came off did you still have the bolt or did you loose that and thats why the pulley came off ...

the pulley itself didn't come off, only that part where the belt wraps around to..

Comment

the pulley itself didn't come off, only that part where the belt wraps around to..

The complete pulley needs to be replaced regardless. Just have it towed or a friend to tow you to a shop to get the pulley off and replaced.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X