breather alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breather alternative?

Is there any other way to keep oil out of the intake besides using a breather filter? I'm doing my port polish job right now, and I'm realizing it's going to be pointless once sludge forms in there...

here's how i have breather filters installed :

i installed an in-line fuel filter between the PCV valve and intake manifold as oppose to having those clunkly oil catch cans. does the same job, and only costs about $3. was suppose to write up a DIY, but never got the chance to; but as you can see, really easy to do.
    Last edited by PRIMOCB7; 09-18-2005, 12:04 AM.
    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

is that effective, and does it still get vapors out the way it should?

Comment

Originally posted by jumpman83
        is that effective, and does it still get vapors out the way it should?

so far, so good. that in-line filter is transparent, and you can slowly see oil/oil vapors catching onto the filter.
        5.6L V8 32V DOHC
        JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

good deal, I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
            here's how i have breather filters installed :

i installed an in-line fuel filter between the PCV valve and intake manifold as oppose to having those clunkly oil catch cans. does the same job, and only costs about $3. was suppose to write up a DIY, but never got the chance to; but as you can see, really easy to do.
            I like my clunkly oil catch can... . How often do you have to replace that filter francis? I was just thinking about that and saying that you probably need one ever 6-8 months? However, it depends on how hard you drive your car.

Comment

jumpman- Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm doing the same as you and I have the same mindset. Well, some put oil catch cans on both the valve cover vent and the PCV, but that's alittle much. A breather for the valve cover is very effective and you can either plug the intake port or stick another breather on that. As for the PCV, prob. Francis' fuel filter would be awesome or just the basic catch can!

Francis helped me out w/ the whole fuel filter on the PCV, so I'm def. going to do that soon

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                I like my clunkly oil catch can... . How often do you have to replace that filter francis? I was just thinking about that and saying that you probably need one ever 6-8 months? However, it depends on how hard you drive your car.

i used to have a clunky oil catch can
                i haven't replaced it yet, but i'll change it every time i change the oil(every 2500 miles for me). for about $3, it isn't gonna burn a hole in anyone's pocket.
                5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Thats true. I got a turbo so I know thats not even an option for me. Clucky catch can stays.

Comment

breather filters suk on turbo setups, i tried it for a while and would constanly soak the litte filter in oil after a week or so. its not bad on na setups tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X