tricks to gain lost hp/tq from cb7..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tricks to gain lost hp/tq from cb7..

i want to get every hp i had in my car from 1991 back into my car, what should i do
    i want every thing known to man that can be done
    thanks
    Jordan
    cccheaaaa
    Accord Nation

92 accord sold, 91 accord ex-r still alive
    240sx for that dorifto action comming soon

Swap a newer engine in. Seriously, there is no way to gain every single hp and lb-ft of torque form a 14 year old engine with high miles.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
      Swap a newer engine in. Seriously, there is no way to gain every single hp and lb-ft of torque form a 14 year old engine with high miles.

Agreed. but you can restore alot of hp for less than a swap, if your mechanicaly inclined that is.

Do a full engine rebuild and dont go cheap on autozone gaskets get oem its worth the money trust me. Also while your mucking around in the engine bay upgrade clean or swap your fuel lines/filter/pump helps with gas mileage and better fuel delivery. Check your axles/tranny for obvious wear and tear. Send out your radiator for a good cleaning or buy a taiwan/better equivelent, if the previous owner was dense he probably thought coolant lasted a lifetime and its probably mud by now. Also switching to Premium gas and synthetic oil allows your engine to run smoother than a babys behind

lazy fix= Seafoam

Comment

try some of these guaranteed gains w/o bust'n ur wallet:
        -pull out your power steering pump
        -pullout your a/c
        -advance your timing
        -set your vavles to the tighter specs
        -synthetic oil's always good
        -honda genuine MTF
        -buy one of those universal filters and replace your airbox with it !!!
        4drs4morehores
        h23/f22 hybrid

Comment

idk, i ran an engine flush and seafoam, change oil every 2500 miles. i have like no slush and can roast the tires liek no other...lol
          <-just broke 220k miles
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Just basic maintenance will bring your engine back to life and free up every potential stock hp. Fluid and filter changes, spark plugs, timing belt, valve adjustment, etc. Once you're all caught up in the maintenance dept. you can start adding aftermarket components to free up even more ponies.
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by mooseturbo
              Agreed. but you can restore alot of hp for less than a swap, if your mechanicaly inclined that is.
              Also while your mucking around in the engine bay upgrade clean or swap your fuel lines/filter/pump helps with gas mileage and better fuel delivery. Check your axles/tranny for obvious wear and tear. Also switching to Premium gas and synthetic oil allows your engine to run smoother than a babys behind

lazy fix= Seafoam
              do all of the above.
              also if u have the time try to clean the gas filter in the gas tank.
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

i would say seafoam.. but hey, maybe u isn`t better to just gain stock hp, DUH!!! get like a uintake and stuff.. seriously.. tell me this and ill tell u if u need to get another motor or stick with the one u have now tell me this..

mileage..
                does it smoke
                under what situations
                how much oild do u burn
                what color is the smoke
                how much
                what percent throttle when shifting does it smoke (mine smokes white right at redline, very small coolant leak)
                just answer those and it will help us help u more...

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

Originally posted by mooseturbo

Do a full engine rebuild and dont go cheap on autozone gaskets get oem its worth the money trust me. Also while your mucking around in the engine bay upgrade clean or swap your fuel lines/filter/pump helps with gas mileage and better fuel delivery. Check your axles/tranny for obvious wear and tear. Send out your radiator for a good cleaning or buy a taiwan/better equivelent, if the previous owner was dense he probably thought coolant lasted a lifetime and its probably mud by now. Also switching to Premium gas and synthetic oil allows your engine to run smoother than a babys behind

lazy fix= Seafoam
                  dont forget to check the wheel bearings. sometimes they can cause a drag on ur car. also hopefully he didnt mean higher octane gives u more horsepower... it ALLOWS u to get more hp with the right mods. also some rubber seals arent really friendly to synthetic oils so u might get a leak. <-- SOME not all. synthetic oil has a high API rating and doesnt break down as fast as reg. oil. thats why it is so good. read about royal purple. they said if ur engine is "clean" and well kept u can keep the oil in there and jsut change the filter every 3000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by hybridizer
                    try some of these guaranteed gains w/o bust'n ur wallet:
                    -pull out your power steering pump
                    -pullout your a/c
                    -advance your timing
                    -set your vavles to the tighter specs
                    -synthetic oil's always good
                    -honda genuine MTF
                    -buy one of those universal filters and replace your airbox with it !!!
                    I would not follow his advice. I would however do what everybody else has been saying. Start with (always genuine Honda) spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, OEM spark plug wires, new coolant, synthetic oil, Honda transmission fluid, an EGR port cleaning, a bottle of Honda's Top End engine cleaner and some fuel additive. That's sure to give u A LOT of performance back. Also, this is something that most people don't notice. Your accellorator pedal cable is most likely stretched after 12-14 years. It's always good to adjust it back to specs for that "touchy" feel the car had when it was new and to ensure that you can still get full-throttle as well. Mine had quite a bit of slack and it made a difference in the way the car felt. Also, make sure the tires are properly inflated (29 or 32 psi for 90-91 and 32psi for 92-93)

yes, pulling out your power steering pump and a/c will make some of a difference but will be a lot of inconvenience. Advancing your timing over the spec. degrees is not good for the engine. Adjusting the valves to "tighter specs" will most likely burn them up. Though i've heard that cold air intakes can make a difference in top-end, it will kill your low-end torque.. that's why the engineers designed the intake system the way they did.
                    Last edited by xaxis360; 09-22-2005, 04:53 PM.

Comment

how much should a rebuild and hot tank get back.

Comment

Originally posted by LXaccord92
                        i would say seafoam.. but hey, maybe u isn`t better to just gain stock hp, DUH!!! get like a uintake and stuff.. seriously.. tell me this and ill tell u if u need to get another motor or stick with the one u have now tell me this..

mileage.. - 228 XXX
                        does it smoke - negative
                        under what situations - see above
                        how much oild do u burn - not really sure
                        what color is the smoke - clear lol
                        how much - what?
                        what percent throttle when shifting does it smoke (mine smokes white right at redline, very small coolant leak) nah men
                        just answer those and it will help us help u more...
                        btw i have an auto not manual
                        i gota change my cv boot cause every thing leaked out. my axel is almost done
                        cccheaaaa
                        Accord Nation

Comment

Originally posted by xaxis360
                          I would not follow his advice. I would however do what everybody else has been saying. Start with (always genuine Honda) spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, OEM spark plug wires, new coolant, synthetic oil, Honda transmission fluid, an EGR port cleaning, a bottle of Honda's Top End engine cleaner and some fuel additive. That's sure to give u A LOT of performance back. Also, this is something that most people don't notice. Your accellorator pedal cable is most likely stretched after 12-14 years. It's always good to adjust it back to specs for that "touchy" feel the car had when it was new and to ensure that you can still get full-throttle as well. Mine had quite a bit of slack and it made a difference in the way the car felt. Also, make sure the tires are properly inflated (29 or 32 psi for 90-91 and 32psi for 92-93)

yes, pulling out your power steering pump and a/c will make some of a difference but will be a lot of inconvenience. Advancing your timing over the spec. degrees is not good for the engine. Adjusting the valves to "tighter specs" will most likely burn them up. Though i've heard that cold air intakes can make a difference in top-end, it will kill your low-end torque.. that's why the engineers designed the intake system the way they did.
                          yup
                          the reason why i made this thread was to maybe get some one say this
                          on my bday im racing my friend with a 87 camry vs my 91 accord
                          my cable is loose and legacy accord is going to help me with the cable problem aparently
                          cccheaaaa
                          Accord Nation

Comment

Good advice xaxis360. I read that but I did not want to flame the thread. IMO, restoring an old engine back to stock preformance specs is a really tough endeavor. Personally I feel that a swap would be cheaper than an overhauled 150k mile engine.

Comment

the thing is that if the engine doesn't burn any oil and u keep up with the maintencace then it should have all the hp that it had in the begining.
                              tranny well that is a different story
                              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Working...
                              X