Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Reading" Spark plugs....a necessary skill

Reading Spark Plugs, a necessary skill

“Reading” spark plugs is a skill everyone should try to master. When tuning your engine, it will help you make power-producing adjustments and keep you from damaging your engine. The first step in the process is the proper engine operating procedure prior to shutting the engine down for inspection. Make a wide open throttle pass on the dyno, or other testing venue. At the end of the run, immediately cut off the ignition and shift the engine into neutral. You do not want to the engine to idle down with the ignition on or make full cycles. The whole goal of this process is to leave the plugs colored as they were at full throttle, high load.

Next step is to remove the plugs and inspect them with an inspection light. Using the light will allow you to peer deep into the base of the plug and check for signs of the combustion process, thereby giving you an insight into the air/fuel mixture. If you see gray/white deposits you are running to lean. If you see black soot you are running to rich. If you see a brownish color, then you are running too hot of a plug range. What you really want to look for when tuning the fuel system is indications of going too lean. When you are running forged aluminum pistons with too lean of a fuel mix, you will see specks of aluminum on the spark plug electrode and porcelain. These specks are coming from the piston top and head as a result of the explosive event of detonation.

When running near the perfect mixture, the porcelain on the plug will be clean and white. But remember!!!!…… Always be alert for signs of detonation. If your plugs are showing specks of aluminum in addition to melted electrodes or chipped tips, your engine is experiencing extreme detonation and adjustments should be made immediately!!! Also be aware that consistency is key. All plugs should show the same "patterns". If the plugs show different patterns, that is another sign of engine problems which need to be addressed.

Happy Tuning!!!

As with all other informative posts, I am not responsible for any damages, etc. caused by you doing this. This is just informative.

Reference material: Joe Pettitt, H.P.H.B.H.
    Last edited by NoSloCB7; 10-04-2005, 10:07 PM.

pics would be nice

Comment

I'll see if I can find or get some pics of each scenario.

Comment

white like this? this was when i was misfiring...

now i run a tad rich.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I can't see it upclose. Is it blistered? From what I can see the plugs do not show the same patterns, which indicates a problem.

Comment

looks like the far right (4) was having some problems. But 2 and 3 were good. ...interesting that your 2 out side pistons (assuming those are in order) are running a little bit too rich or not a complete combustion. Did you have oil on your spark plugs when you took them out. If you did it's time to replace your seals that go around your spark plug tubes including the ones below your rocker arms.
            WTB:
            88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
            OR
            90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Back cover page of Haynes manual has pics for spark plug inspections
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

best i could find on a google search...

Comment

just use the HAYNES one !!!!!

and can't you feel ur engine/car bogging under certain conditions? like misfiring? or stuttering?
                  hahahahah

Comment

This thread wasn't created to teach people how to see the obvious. Its to teach people how to look for the not to subtle clues when fine tuning the ingition and fuel systems (i.e. the specks of aluminum, and lean condition clues). If you are try to diagnose the obvious, then yes..consult the haynes manual....
                    Last edited by NoSloCB7; 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM.

Comment

The haynes has color pix

And this is a rough and very dirty way of seeing whats happening in the chambers. Some of you may recall that the a/f ratio is not always the same at two different rpm's. Making this method a very ancient way of tuning but an effective one nonetheless. On top of that lean a/f ratios are not the only way you can detonate.

Decent info tho, and i check mine every so often for such irregularities
                      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x

The haynes has color pix

And this is a rough and very dirty way of seeing whats happening in the chambers. Some of you may recall that the a/f ratio is not always the same at two different rpm's. Making this method a very ancient way of tuning but an effective one nonetheless. On top of that lean a/f ratios are not the only way you can detonate.

Decent info tho, and i check mine every so often for such irregularities

Thank you sir!! I was hoping you would see it and give your insight as well...

Comment

Working...
                        X