Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

**IMPORTANT** the lifecycle of parts for CB7!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**IMPORTANT** the lifecycle of parts for CB7!

So about a week ago, I wrote a nasty letter to Honda bitching about the price of parts for my car, leather particularly [see letter below]

Okay, so some guy from customer service called me today with some very interesting news. First, the reason why some parts are so expensive is because they must still be manufactured to this day by (mostly) japanese vendors. Since Honda doesn't want to inventory 10,000 spoilers for a 93 SE coupe, they order very small quantities thus hiking up the price. As far as the leather price I bitched about: it is because the leather used in SE's was just that.. 100% leather. Honda now uses a combination of "pleather" and real leather which is why an '06 seat cover is $260, not $1124.

but the important thing is that apparantly the federal government mandates that an auto manufacturer must provide replacement parts for their vehicles only up to 15 years after the date of production which is quickly approaching

So what's the big deal?? obviously, things like timing belts, distributors, fuel filters, brakes etc.. will be available for many years to come. But what about things people like us (who go to a web-site devoted to these cars) actually buy? alloy wheels, fenders, bumpers, door handles, emblems, etc. guess what? gone. I found it interesting that a set of anniv. ed./coupe wheels I bought for my car were made in 2004! this in mind, Honda is eager to ditch the responsibility of making old parts now more than ever. They now have over 30 years of car parts to deal with in America. The guy basically told me to start looking in the aftermarket for things real soon...

February 7, 2006
    Honda North America
    Customer Relations (Parts Division)
    1919 Torrance BLVD
    Mail Stop 500 – 2N – 7D
    Torrance CA 90501-2746

Dear Sir or Madam:
    I am writing today in an effort for some type of explanation or help with a parts issue. I currently own a 1993 Honda Accord SE. I am in the market for a new Honda, but plan on keeping this car for a long time.

My problem is this: I have been looking into replacing the leather seat cover on the bottom cushion of my driver’s side seat. Upon some research, I found the part and the MSRP is $1,124.52. It came as no surprise. I have been finding that many parts specific to my car seem to be extremely gouging. I have owned many Honda’s and found this to be true when it comes to items such as carpeting, upholstery and trim pieces. My concern is that these steep price parts only seem to apply to older generations of Honda’s. Enclosed, you will find a parts catalogue from your web-site estore.honda.com.

I have printed out Front Left Cushion Trims for the following cars: 1993 Accord SE, 1998 Accord EX-L, and a 2006 Accord EX-L to compare similar parts. As you can see, the price for the newest Accord seat cover is a reasonable $243.28; a fair price for a quality leather product that must bear the cost of design, research and manufacturing. The 1998 Accord prices at $469.00 for a leather seat cover. Still a fair price. However, the 1993 Accord is priced at an outrageous $1,124.52!

From a Lehman’s point of view, they all appear to be very similar parts. All quality leather surfaces, all stitched at the seams, and all designed for use on a Honda. My misunderstanding comes in the basic logic surrounded by the prices. Why would Honda still maintain such extreme prices for a car that is now thirteen years old; whose value could be matched by reupholstering the two front seats?! I have spoken with many people who own or have owned the SE and they voiced the same complaints. The leather seating surfaces are usually the first to become worn or damaged because of their very nature of being sat on and exposure to heat and sunlight. It is a shocking experience to be told that a new panel would cost roughly ¼ the value of the entire car.

This being said, I am hopeful that possibly Honda Parts has overlooked this situation. I know that a seat cover for a 1993 Accord is probably not an important topic, but maybe Parts could take another look at some of the pricing for the older cars to better suit the current owners. A response would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Ian S.
    Canton, Ohio
    Last edited by xaxis360; 02-15-2006, 06:34 PM.

re warap it prolly cost like 200 bucks some were

Comment

You should go to another dealership. If they still charge the same, search junkyards or just rewrap the seats as mentioned.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Yeah, you can buy a side of leather and then find an upholsterer and have them put it on.. then you can get your name written in it or have it customized..

There is a guy around here that got a whole bunch of leather off ebay and then hade his whole 300zx re done with it for around $200

Comment

on writing a nice letter that actually got a response. Most people would have just gone postal and not bothered looking for an explanation.

I just did a major overhaul (new top end, timing chain/gears, exhaust system, radiator, clutch cyl and many, many small parts) on an 1981 Toyota truck. Try finding parts for that. Even the junkyards have been picked clean.

I needed one valve/sensor that looked like a $10 part. Truck wouldn't run right without it. There was no aftermarket replacement anywhere for it since it was kinda unique to a CA smogged model of the series I had from 25 years ago. Stealership wanted $250 for it. After months of searching, finally found some guy on a Toy forumn that had it and got it for $15.

Better start making a list of unique sensors/valves and doohickeys that don't have aftermarket replacements and will be scarce in the next 5 years.
          90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            You should go to another dealership. If they still charge the same, search junkyards or just rewrap the seats as mentioned.
            Sometimes these junkyards be on that bullshit by jackin up their prices because they know cats dont wanna go to the dealer aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
              Sometimes these junkyards be on that bullshit by jackin up their prices because they know cats dont wanna go to the dealer aswell.
              What?

As far as leather...look into companies like Katzkin and comparable. Some of the 90-93 Accords have leather in them that wasn't factory (the elusive grey/blue/maroon leather). These were most likely kits sold by companies like that that fit in the car. There's a member on here with a black leather coupe interior. I think that'd be your best bet to replace the parts.

I had heard about that rule, though I didn't know it was 15 years. It's interesting though...they have their parts made, and can make spoilers (93 SE style) but the flushmount/armrest/fogs are long gone.

Comment

interesting info there...nice sig too.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by FuriousJDMLBM
                  What?

As far as leather...look into companies like Katzkin and comparable. Some of the 90-93 Accords have leather in them that wasn't factory (the elusive grey/blue/maroon leather). These were most likely kits sold by companies like that that fit in the car. There's a member on here with a black leather coupe interior. I think that'd be your best bet to replace the parts.

I had heard about that rule, though I didn't know it was 15 years. It's interesting though...they have their parts made, and can make spoilers (93 SE style) but the flushmount/armrest/fogs are long gone.

oh yeah, I asked about the flushmounts. The guy told me that the demand for accessories are estimated at production time. When the "Trunk Lip Spoiler" was first offered in 1990, sales were dissapointing. The wing spoiler clearly took the crown for trunk options, so they cut shipments way back for the US and dropped it in 1992 for the "Gold Finish Kit." The flushmounts then went into a "clearance" liquidation price and were subsequently bought up by dealers. But it is easy to understand why Honda chose to make what they did accessories because of the federal law. I'm sure their pissed by now that they have to screw around with spoilers from the SE being it was the only Honda that I know of that came with one from the factory. Making fog lights standard on some models like in Japan would mean more junk to inventory and produce for the US. but i'm not so much worried about the leather tho. I have never seen the factory stiching from the sedans copied correctly. Most aftermarkets didn't use piping nor the bunched leather look on seatbacks. its just wierd to think that our cars are going to be officially obsolete in Honda's eyes real soon. some parts for 86-89's are already discontinued or being sold to Vintage Parts in Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                    i agree with that...i went to a few places that sell used car parts and they wanted $25 for the coupe door handles but couldn't tell me what color...shit the dealer cost only $30 and knew exactly what i was getting

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
                    Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
                    by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

with the amount of cb7's out there i highly doubt that there will be a need of common replacement parts.

unless you are looking for leather seats or jdm parts.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I used to work at a Honda dealership there electronic parts catalogs don't even go back that far like maybe to 85. We had on old civic come in and we had to find parts at advance auto to fix it.

If you where going to get the leather replaced for that price i would just take it to an upholstery shop. If you make sure they know your picky they will mimic the seat exactly. I work at an upholstery shop we do it all the time. We even take new cars and put leather interior in them for dealerships.

Id like to get my hands on the SE back panel where the 3rd break light sits on the other models. I took my 3rd break light out because i have a OEM wing and now i have a hole there with fabric stretched across it.
                        92 Accord EX 2dr -- G22 project
                        -5 Speed Swap 10-10-05

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Motor Vehicle Industry.
                          Mate, I deal with this issue day in, day out with some of my customers cars.
                          Just last week I had to get a RHR Axle Hub & Bearing for 1986 Toyota Corona Avante. The Genuine Parts through Toyota are N.L.A. - NO LONGER AVAILABLE anywhere in the world.
                          Because this model had I.R.S with Disc Brake Rear, it is as rare as Rocking Horse Shit in Australia. Even trying to locate a Complete Second Hand Lower Control Arm & Hub from any Parts Dismantler is a mission in itself. They found one for me, I fitted it to the car and it was just as fucked as the one I took off. So now I have to locate another. Result - 1 very irate customer with no car to drive. Guess who cops the abuse, yours truly. I toss them 20c and tell them to ring the pricks who build the car and complain to them.

It would be virtually impossible to legislate that Car Companies keep a current supply of New Genuine Parts for every model built, because there is less than 2% of parts in a motor vehicle actually made by the Car Manufacturer themselves anyhow. Most parts are just branded and stamped by the Manufacturer as GENUINE. Over 98% of parts are outsourced from independant manufacturers at assembly. I'd say the only GENUINE items would be Body Panels and Engine Blocks. Most Car Makers source their parts from Reputable, High Quality OEM's.
                          The R & D departments work off the supply & demand principle from previous model's sold so they can calculate what volume of each item to stock for the next model. The Car makers do not have the parts manufactured on a 'REMAKE/RESTOCK AS YOU SELL' policy. Once the original stock is depleted that's it, All Original Stocked Parts will eventually become N.L.A.

So all this Buy GENUINE Only is actually a crock of shit if you can source the same part from the ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER. GENUINE & OEM Parts are not one in the same. Think about it, Since when did HONDA, TOYOTA, GM or FORD start making Genuine Engine Oils, Lubricants or Coolant? That's like Honda buying the SHELL, re-branded it as HONDA FUEL, then saying you should only fill your HONDA up with Genuine Honda fuel.

So in the end it all comes down to Supply & Demand!!

Just my AUD$0.0175 Worth

-GEOFF-

BTW: I vote for a sticky.
                          Last edited by F22-GURU; 02-16-2006, 05:54 AM.

Comment

hmmm, so '90/'91 models would theoretically already have a problem or is it more an issue once the '93 year hits 15 years as the last year of that model?
                            '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                            EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by mrvinyl33
                              hmmm, so '90/'91 models would theoretically already have a problem or is it more an issue once the '93 year hits 15 years as the last year of that model?
                              It doesn't mean once the 15 years is up they remove all old parts from existence, it's once the original stock of parts is sold they will not be replenished. It's the old 'First in Best Dressed' deal. Some parts for a 97 model car could be NLA. All depends on the part.

TNT
                              The Guru

Comment

Working...
                              X