Best Timing Belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Timing Belt?

i hear people say, oem is the best... but im considering getting a greddy belt. has anyone heard good or bad things about the greddy belt? i need one asap, i snapped mine today

your probably going to need more than just a new belt. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

if you are basically stock, just stick with oem.. theres no point in spending a retarded amount of money on a timing belt..

Comment

Why are you considering an aftermarket belt?
        What advantage do you perceive it has?
        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Prob they use different materials inside the belts so they are stronger. Id say go for it GReddy is a reputable company.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
            your probably going to need more than just a new belt. later.
            well im keeping my fingers crossed. and thank god for good h-series clearance. ive broken two auto tensioners and ive yet to bend a valve. anythings possible, but im hoping for the best. i was just cruising when it happend, and my car just suddenly died, so i coasted to the side of the road. i didnt hear any funny or "bad" noises, so i guess i see soon enough.

and about getting a greddy belt, im not doing just for the hell of it. i NEED a belt, im just considering a greddy instead of an oem. and with the way i drive, to 8k daily, it couldnt hurt to have a stronger belt, assuming they are. im not sure if it was a freak incident or what, ive been on that belt for about 40k, sooner than expected, but until its taken apart at the shop i wont know if there was some sort of foulplay.

are greddy belts supposed to be stronger? i wouldnt be suprised if youre paying more for the name, but i figured it couldnt hurt to ask.

Comment

Greddy, Toda and all of them make there belts out of some sort of different material supposedly so they are stronger than OEM belts. Thats what i have heard. It wouldnt hurt giving a try. Damn broke 2 auto tensioners already thats crazy. You upgrade to a manual tensioner?

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

IMO, I would just do the OEM belt. How much more are the "upgraded" belts anyways?

If you are breaking the auto-tensioners, I would just do the manual conversion, that auto tensioner never looked like something i would want to trust.

Comment

Ive got a Greddy, havent installed it though.

Comment

Just use Honda parts, I just did the belts on an "H" this weekend. I've also got new OE belts on my F22......2nd time around for them. Never had a problem with stockers, and I drive mine like it's stolen. Maybe your belt tensions are wrong....
                    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
                      well im keeping my fingers crossed. and thank god for good h-series clearance. ive broken two auto tensioners and ive yet to bend a valve. anythings possible, but im hoping for the best. i was just cruising when it happend, and my car just suddenly died, so i coasted to the side of the road. i didnt hear any funny or "bad" noises, so i guess i see soon enough.

and about getting a greddy belt, im not doing just for the hell of it. i NEED a belt, im just considering a greddy instead of an oem. and with the way i drive, to 8k daily, it couldnt hurt to have a stronger belt, assuming they are. im not sure if it was a freak incident or what, ive been on that belt for about 40k, sooner than expected, but until its taken apart at the shop i wont know if there was some sort of foulplay.

are greddy belts supposed to be stronger? i wouldnt be suprised if youre paying more for the name, but i figured it couldnt hurt to ask.
                      Most professional racing teams are using OEM Honda belts... They are the best IMO. The only thing that changes due to your driving style, is the fact that the way you drive bumps you up to the "severe" driving conditions category as specified in any owner's manual.

This basically bumps your belt change interval up to every 60,000 miles instead of every 90-105K depending on the year of your engine. It isn't a bad idea to change the water pump either obviously. With the exception of the auto tensioners, you probably wouldn't have a problem if you changed them more frequently as recommended.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. I have never had a belt snap early, but I have had a water pump fail. I voluntarily moved it up at that point to avoid future issues.
                      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

well i went with oem afterall. not by choice but convience. i had the car towed to the shop after work today and i was planning on leaving it there for a couple days till they worked through some cars they had lined up already. but they told me to pick a belt up from honda and they would get it out today, so thats what i did... pays to know the owners

and it runs fine. so ill hopefully be getting retuned this coming weekend. they have a plan to take a couple cars to dyno at tech3... i want to tag along if im not working.

Comment

Thats good to hear your car is back up and running. Lucky that you dont have any wierd sounds coming out of it. Have you done the manual tensioner conversion yet on your car since you said you already broke 2 auto tensioners?

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                            Thats good to hear your car is back up and running. Lucky that you dont have any wierd sounds coming out of it. Have you done the manual tensioner conversion yet on your car since you said you already broke 2 auto tensioners?
                            yea, it was converted awhlie back. the 2nd tensioner broke over a year ago, and i gave them directions to convert. mine was the first they had done... 99.9% of their business run b-series setups. my car was actually the 2nd H they had ever done, and i believe the first tranny conversion. of course, since then theyve done quite a few h swaps.

Comment

Working...
                            X