Question regarding tranny removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding tranny removal

I am removing my manual tranny and am wondering why the manual tells me to take off rear motor mount and intake manifold bracket. Is this really necessary?

typically yes, because most people drop the subframe to remove the transmission. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
      typically yes, because most people drop the subframe to remove the transmission. later.
      And why is that. Are u talking about the cross member? Does the rear mount and intake manifold bracket because of? Am just a bit lost as to why.

Comment

It has been a while since I dropped just the transmission, but removing the rear mount and front mount (with the transmission supported), then the trans mount allows the engine transmission to pivot down on the passenger side to give you room to slide the transmission off the engine.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetw00d View Post
          It has been a while since I dropped just the transmission, but removing the rear mount and front mount (with the transmission supported), then the trans mount allows the engine transmission to pivot down on the passenger side to give you room to slide the transmission off the engine.
          Oh get to now. I dont actually remove the rear mount itself. Just the tranny from it.

Comment

The top right portion goes to the body mount (on the car). The far left bolts go all the way through and into the transmission but the upper hole is into a engine "tab" that jets out and fits into this mount.
            So technically speaking I think it's the 3 bolts from the bottom that are trans only. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	4979360

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              The top right portion goes to the body mount (on the car). The far left bolts go all the way through and into the transmission but the upper hole is into a engine "tab" that jets out and fits into this mount.
              So technically speaking I think it's the 3 bolts from the bottom that are trans only. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	4979360

I GOT IT SEPARATED FROM ENGINE BUT tranny SPLINDLE not all the way out from clutch cover. That tranny shifter is knocking up against the brake lines. I think if i drop the dog bone engine mount or the drivers side mount the engine will drop along with tranny and tranny will come out. I need another inch for it to come out. What you think. Effn trany is stuck up in there almost hanging it seems. frustrating.

Comment

You need to remove the top bolt in the dogbone. This will allow the engine to go low enough while keeping the engine safely hanging by the engine mount. Keep a jack under the oil pan to control the angle of drop on the end of the motor and transmission. This will allow you to slide the trans off and under the frame rail of the car.
                MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Yep, put a jack and some wood under it and let the engine drop more on the passenger side. I know, it's a PITA, let it down until you can get room. Be sure to not hit anything or extend a wire.
                  If this is a H22 it's a huge PITA. Last time I Just scratched the hell out of the area of your brake lines trying to lift it up there past the trans shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                    You need to remove the top bolt in the dogbone. This will allow the engine to go low enough while keeping the engine safely hanging by the engine mount. Keep a jack under the oil pan to control the angle of drop on the end of the motor and transmission. This will allow you to slide the trans off and under the frame rail of the car.
                    it is off. What a pain. Had to take dogbone off for the extra 2 inches. What a tight fit. How am i going to get it back on i wonder now. Now got to replace the clutch and flywheel then put a new tranny back on. I can't wait.

Comment

ha. ya... you probably see why people have a trans jack now, or a engine lift Nevermind that the H22 trans is pretty dam heavy, really is a two person job.

Comment

Working...
                      X