Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can F22a engine be rebuilt without removing it from car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can F22a engine be rebuilt without removing it from car?

A honda mechanic told me years ago that these f22a engines can be rebuilt without ever removing it from car. Is this true. He said rings & pistons can be replaced with the head removed and oil pan off. Is this true?
    Last edited by zedjr10; 06-29-2021, 05:06 PM.

I mean it could, any engine honestly could. But why would you? You would be leaning over the car, breaking your back to reach. It’s so easy to pull this motor, I would rather pull it then leave the short block in the car. Your going to have to remove the head, intake mani, exhaust, power steering, ac pretty much everything. Only thing you would save is having to disconnect the ball joints, axles, shifter cables. But pretty much everything else would have to come off to be able to replace the pistons and rods.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
      I mean it could, any engine honestly could. But why would you? You would be leaning over the car, breaking your back to reach. It’s so easy to pull this motor, I would rather pull it then leave the short block in the car. Your going to have to remove the head, intake mani, exhaust, power steering, ac pretty much everything. Only thing you would save is having to disconnect the ball joints, axles, shifter cables. But pretty much everything else would have to come off to be able to replace the pistons and rods.
      Thanks, good advice. I was plan on rebuilding engine at some point and was wondering if this was easier and possible. I planned on removing the hood while doing it. Thought actually it wouldn't be that bad. Replacing the tranny was a huge job for me. Still seems easier to do it while engine is in car. Am not plan on replacing crank. Maybe bearings but definitely pistons, rings and head. How long you think bearings last? Is 270k time to replace? Maybe i can do bearings job separately as i like to break big jobs down

Comment

The bores should be honed by a machine shop to ensure a proper ring seal. This is best done before you buy your pistons, in case you need to go oversized.
        You CAN do it yourself (or not hone at all if the cylinder walls are in good shape), but it’s not the best idea.

Pull the engine. You can rent a hoist, and a stand isn’t expensive. It will be much, much easier to do it that way.

Comment

got a hoist and engine stand here in westminster if you need em

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            The bores should be honed by a machine shop to ensure a proper ring seal. This is best done before you buy your pistons, in case you need to go oversized.
            You CAN do it yourself (or not hone at all if the cylinder walls are in good shape), but it’s not the best idea.

Pull the engine. You can rent a hoist, and a stand isn’t expensive. It will be much, much easier to do it that way.
            gotcha so my ideal is spoiled. Good info and thanks for the advice u adn grumpy as i want to get it done right. That seems like a bigger job than replacing the tranny. Will have to wait to do it for a bit. Thanks Mike for the offer. I moved from denver a year ago.

Comment

Working...
            X