Battery Tech: AGM vs Wet Cell (Flooded)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Tech: AGM vs Wet Cell (Flooded)

I've been doing some research (mostly due to curiosity) since I've just replaced all 3 batteries but elected to stay with flooded since the replacement costs were minimal. It's rare in AZ to get more than a 2-2.5 yrs out of a flooded battery but this time (probably due to minimal driving last couple years) I managed to stretch it out to 30-34 months. As near as I can tell the advantages of an AGM are "...longer life cycles...," and most importantly for me "They are also more resistant to extreme temperatures...."

From a cost/efficiency standpoint I'm not certain the price differential would be worth it. It all depends on how much longer service life than what I currently average. I'm not convinced that gel cell batteries offer any advantages mostly due to lower amps and lower heat tolerance so I didn't even consider those.

So anyone here have any experience with AGM batteries in general or more specifically with their CB7s?
    I'd be interested to hear about their longevity especially in regards to heat tolerance.

I found this info on:
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/blog/p...-battery-types

Flooded Batteries
    Standard flooded lead acid batteries are the most common batteries found in cars and trucks. They are cheaper than AGM batteries, making them the preferred choice for a large percentage of drivers.

The interior of 12-volt lead acid battery is divided into six different cells. In each cell, positive and negatively charged plates are stacked in an alternating pattern with a plastic separator placed between them. Each of the plates is then immersed in an electrolyte solution which creates a path for electricity to flow.

One thing to note, the flooded batteries used in your car are starting batteries, which are very different from those used in deep cycle operations. Starting batteries are designed to provide short, powerful bursts of power needed to turn over engines; they are not designed for the deep cycle operations required in a boat or to power additional conveniences in an RV. If you require a flooded deep cycle battery, you can shop by application here.

AGM Batteries
    AGM batteries (short for Absorbed Glass Mat) are constructed slightly differently than their flooded counterparts. The plate separator within an AGM battery is made of fiberglass, which helps to hold the electrolyte in place. This enables you to mount them in a variety of different positions (don’t turn them upside down though) without fear of spilling, which can happen in flooded batteries. AGM batteries also have a lower internal resistance, giving them a higher voltage output and a dramatically shorter charging time.

AGM batteries also have a number of other advantages over flooded types. For starters, they have longer life cycles and stand up much better to vibrations and impact. They are also more resistant to extreme temperatures, making them ideal for regions with high heat or intense cold. The greatest disadvantage of AGM batteries is price, with AGM batteries costing more than flooded batteries.

One thing to note, if your car’s original battery was an AGM type, you have to continue using AGM batteries going forward, as your car will not accept being “downgraded” to a lead acid type.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

"One thing to note, if your car’s original battery was an AGM type, you have to continue using AGM batteries going forward, as your car will not accept being “downgraded” to a lead acid type." I call BS on that, electricity is electricity IMO. Can't see your car caring what 12V it has...

But I switched to a yellow top Optima battery years ago for my cb7 for a number of reasons.

1. Battery drains kept occurring with electrical things and the car sitting too long (forget to turn off the master switch)
    2. The car gets stored in a cold garage in the winter and sometimes I go weeks without charging it (forget to)
    3. I had a bumping stereo system in the car (2 amps, etc.) which needs something strong. Also the batter is in the trunk, so pushing the power a long ways to the starter
    4. Nothing but the best. But in reality it was that the cheap batteries were...... always questionable. Sometimes you get a dud, sometimes they die early, sometimes the cold kills it

The price of this battery was a lot though! $300+ CDN which is a ton of $$$ for a battery! But I've let it drain down to zero more than 10 times now and it still never let's me down! No regrets on this purchase!

Comment

Agreed... I had trouble with that statement too. I also read somewhere that Toyota not only requires the use of AGM batteries in newer cars but will void the warranty EVEN IF you replace it with another AGM that isn't a "Toyota branded battery' which believe it or not is only available from a Toyota dealer!

Who says new cars aren't cheap to keep...
      My Collection:

Comment

Disclaimer, I am not an expert in batteries or electricity but I have a bit of anecdotal info to contribute here. When I first got my CB7 shipped here (from my uncle in Ecuador) it had a deep cycle marine battery in it. Not sure exactly why that happened but I know that they employ a lot of novel solutions to lacking parts and resources in Ecuador when it comes to fixing cars so I am guessing it was a cheaper/more available solution kind of thing but it actually held up really well in the CB7. I let it sit for a while without starting or driving it (6+ months) and that battery was finally dead for good, not sure how long it was in the car before it had to get switched but it was at least 3 years and it actually did a pretty good job of cranking the car when it had been sitting for a while. I replaced it with a flooded battery and it hasn't had any issues starting even in extreme temps (I live in Houston so we regularly see 100+ degrees 90%+ humidity in the summer) but it is also relatively new.

As for AGM batteries I only have experience with those in my E60 M5. BMW says an AGM battery is required for them but its not entirely true. I know of people on the forums and elsewhere that have cheaped out on batteries for their M5 and as long as you have the software to program the battery to the car the car will accept almost any battery as long as you tell it the correct AH output that the battery has so the car knows what to do. That being said the AGM batteries last longer and are more consistent, the E60 M5 in particular is extremely sensitive to electrical issues and though it may not seem like an issue when first installed a non-AGM battery with slightly different specs can cause the cars computer to wig out and throw codes for things that seem like mechanical issues but are actually related to the electrical system not being powered the way it is supposed to.

That being said I'd say that there is not going to be a huge difference putting an AGM in your CB7 except for a longer lifespan, which depending on the cost of the AGM vs flooded may be worth it. I can tell you the AGM in my M5 lasted from at least when I first bought it in 2012 until about 2018 before it finally started having issues and the M5 is a stupidly complicated car as far as electronics go. Definitley agree that if your car "requires" AGM you can downgrade as long as the specs are the same the car will still run. I would definitley be more concerned with a new car where you may have to "register" a new battery with the DME or something like that but for the Accord it really shouldn't make a difference.

Comment

That was the impression I got too. Newer cars have now become so complex you can't even replace a battery without intimate knowledge of specific models, specialized tools and certification. And even then almost everything is proprietary so good luck getting access to the info, tools & parts...
          My Collection:

Comment

Yeah, luckily for me the 2000-2010ish BMWs have the manufacturer diagnostic/coding software and tools available for free online. It definitley makes things like that much easier but I'm sure with the new cars you need a subscription to whatever diagnostic tools/software they use.

Comment

Working...
            X