Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are chances my air bag will still deploy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are chances my air bag will still deploy?

I got a 92 coupe with just a driver airbag. What are the chances it still works. I want to cut that yellow plug going into under dash fuse box case i can not get it out. I actually figure there is still a very good chances it works. I just wanted to see what anyone else. thought.

Given the age it is likely that the bag could not detonate from the correct stimulus.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

How do you know this?

Comment

Unless you're going to replace the steering wheel with one that doesn't have an airbag, it's pointless to disconnect. Doing some research on this, anything mid-'90s or newer should last pretty much forever because of an improvement in the materials used. It sounds more like luck on anything older, like ours, but there's always a chance it still works fine, and you'll be glad if it did if you get into a frontal collision.

But when I swapped the airbag-equipped seats in my RSX, I disconnected the battery first for about 20 minutes to be safe before disconnecting the airbag connector under the seats, and didn't run into any problems when the new ones were plugged back in. You'll probably trigger the SRS light without something plugged in (there's probably a resistor trick you can look into to trick the light), but it shouldn't ignite on you.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-15-2022, 06:06 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
          How do you know this?
          I have witnessed many unfortunate crashes involving older, airbag equipped Hondas and the airbags rarely deploy at this point and this was several years ago.

As Cyborg mentioned, you can disconnect the airbag and use the resistor trick to get rid of the light.
          Last edited by SSMAccord; 07-15-2022, 08:46 PM.
          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

been doing some research and it seems that 80 percent chance or more my airbag wouldn't deploy. SO cutting that srs wire wouldn't much matter. Not sure if it is a good ideal if i put a new airbag in there. Not sure if i can even. Would like too at some point. Airbags have saved my life twice before.

Comment

I'm guessing this would have as much to do with environmental conditions as with age. Obviously there's no 100% definitive way to determine if a sealed airbag after all this time would donate or not (unless it's deployed) but I'm going with the assumption it will. As long as the bag and components haven't been exposed to excessive moisture there's no reason to assume it won't function. Whether it's going to do so with the same 100% potency it did when new maybe not. But overall it might be effective enough in a crash.

It may be a bad analogy but I have a sealed 30lbs canister of Forane 12 AC refrigerant that's about half used that I purchased about 28 years ago and still effective. Point being why eliminate a device the could potentially save your life if there's a chance it' still works?

This article may help:
              https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/d...gs-expire.html
              My Collection:
              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                I'm guessing this would have as much to do with environmental conditions as with age. Obviously there's no 100% definitive way to determine if a sealed airbag after all this time would donate or not (unless it's deployed) but I'm going with the assumption it will. As long as the bag and components haven't been exposed to excessive moisture there's no reason to assume it won't function. Whether it's going to do so with the same 100% potency it did when new maybe not. But overall it might be effective enough in a crash.

It may be a bad analogy but I have a sealed 30lbs canister of Forane 12 AC refrigerant that's about half used that I purchased about 28 years ago and still effective. Point being why eliminate a device the could potentially save your life if there's a chance it' still works?

This article may help:
                https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/d...gs-expire.html
                I agree. But i couldn't get that plug out so i effn cut it. I thought i could splice it back but it seems both internal wires are of the same color. White adn white. Havent got back tp putting fuse box back in as i am working on other things at moment. Will find out more next week when i start putting the stuff back together.

Comment

Late reply here but... Never attempt to repair or modify SRS wiring, it changes the resistance in the wiring and can cause deployment, cause it to fail to deploy, or cause the SRS warning light to came on. If the wiring is damaged, or in this case cut, replace only. In rare circumstances a manufacturer may issue detailed service instructions on SRS wiring repair, or a repair kit you can purchase, no such guidance exists for our cars.
                  Last edited by Size9zombie; 12-14-2022, 09:51 PM.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Size9zombie View Post
                    Late reply here but... Never attempt to repair or modify SRS wiring, it changes the resistance in the wiring and can cause deployment, cause it to fail to deploy, or cause the SRS warning light to came on. If the wiring is damaged, or in this case cut, replace only. In rare circumstances a manufacturer may issue detailed service instructions on SRS wiring repair, or a repair kit you can purchase, no such guidance exists for our cars.
                    Def agree!
                    My Collection:
                    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Working...
                    X