Oil Change Dilemma - What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change Dilemma - What would you do?

I've always done my own oil changes and for years I've been buying my oil through Amazon's Subscribe & Save. The oil I've used for decades is Castrol GTX 5W-30 "Dino" version. Like many of you I researched the hell out of switching to synthetic but decided to stay with the Castrol for the 93SE mostly due to it's age and miles. Castrol GTX is what I started with in my 89SE-i, 2000 Accord (which I eventually changed to Mobil 1 after about 30k miles) and continued with in the 93SE since new.

Based on my Amazon purchase history somewhere around March 2021 there was a change. It shows Castrol changed their product line and eliminated their GTX 5W-30 in a conventional blend which I verified on their site. I now see a slightly different label which I "assumed" was just a marketing design change. It now reads "Ultraclean" and has "Synthetic Blend" in light gray text near the bottom right corner.

According to Castrol's website they now only offer conventional oil in 10W-30, 10W-40 & 20W-50 blends. As for their "Ultraclean" oil, "Castrol® Ultraclean is a synthetic blend engine oil available in 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30 grades." Here's the data sheet if anyone is interested but it's more PR hype than useful info:
    https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/33D0ECA476D71CA480258837004BE62D/$File/bpxe-aaxec9.pdf

Based on my records my last 3 oil changes (which I perform every 12 weeks) have been with this synthetic blend but since miles between changes have only been around 45 miles (that's not a typo) so there's little chance of any detrimental effects.

OK, since the damage is done and I know I'm probably making more out of this I need to what are my options?

The way I see it I can:

1. Continue using the Castrol blended and hope there's no leaks.

2. Switch to another brand that still makes a conventional 5W-30 oil.

3. Embrace the screw-up and start using Mobil 1 (5W-30) which is a full synthetic and the oil I'm already using in both the 00 Accord and TSX. The upside is it would consolidate my oil purchases to one type of oil for all 3 cars...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by hiptech; 08-28-2022, 07:03 PM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

I personally would just make the switch. It wouldn't really do much damage as you aren't really putting any wear or tear on the motor as you only drive so much. You are using the oil more for preservation then heat cycling/ the harsh treatment it gets daily driving it. I use full synthetic in all my vehicles and I haven't found any new leaks since the switch.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Thanks Grumpy, that's what I hoping to hear!

In that case I guess I'll changeover to Mobil 1 and stop worrying
      My Collection:
      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Swapping from dino oil to a synthetic and back and having problems is usually an old wives tail.

My 92 CB9 has been fed anything from cheapo Dino oil, to the finest synthetics and now lives off the spare quarts of Rotella 15-40 from the F350 and spare quarts from the 0-20 out of our 6.2 GMC. Oil analysis always shows excellent wear numbers.
        1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
        2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I started out using full dino oil when I first got my Accord. about a year in I decided to try a synthetic blend, seems to have made no difference in terms of driving/wear/efficiency. Just did my oil again last week (like you I haven't been putting many miles on my accord so it was probably a couple hundred miles since the previous oil change). I've driven it about 100 miles since and it seems to be doing fine. I have a leak somewhere but that was there before I made the change so I doubt its because of the full synthetic. Looks like oil is seeping from the breather tube on top of the valve cover (think that is what it's called) and something is leaking down either side of the trans (looks like its something under the distributor).

I'd say stick with the full synthetic, especially if you're not actually driving it thousands of miles between changes. At the very least the oil will last longer between changes with that sort of usage.

Comment

Working...
          X