Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alignment off after hitting curb. Tie Rod?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    alignment off after hitting curb. Tie Rod?

    The other day while parking i hit my front right rim against curb while parking. I now have to turn wheel to right to go str8t. I replaced the outer tie rod thinking that was jsut bent but it is still off the same. You think i bent the inner tie rod or something else? I took tire off and inspected everything and all seems ok. In other words no damage from the naked eye but still my front end alignment is definitely off.
    Last edited by zedjr10; 11-09-2022, 02:34 PM.

    #2
    Yep. Bent. Sometimes hard to tell. And sometimes an alignment can fix. Some measurements should tell you how much it's out.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      Yep. Bent. Sometimes hard to tell. And sometimes an alignment can fix. Some measurements should tell you how much it's out.
      i replaced the outer tie rod just now and still off the same. What you think i bent. The inner tie rod or radius rod?

      Comment


        #4
        Ya. There's only two left that will bend. Measure and you'll figure it out. Or put a level on the wheel.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          Ya. There's only two left that will bend. Measure and you'll figure it out. Or put a level on the wheel.
          Which 2? i am guessing inner tie rod and upper control arm? What would i measure on on upper control arm? Inner tie rod i am guessing ill see the bend.

          Comment


            #6
            So just think about it. If you put a level on the tire at 9&3 and 12&6, it should be somewhat level. On the bad tire it will be off one way or another. (up / down or right / left)
            Some will setup ropes on the top / middle / bottom of tire and take measurements from the tire to the rope. You'll be able to compare the good side to the bad side.
            You could also use a large metal square against the tire. & ya, in most cases it's the trailing arm (steering arm).

            Click image for larger version

Name:	R.906aa8843e140e23bff8b807cb91558d?rik=fW7tMuxwpz%2foLw&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&sres=1&sresct=1.png
Views:	23
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	4983066

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              So just think about it. If you put a level on the tire at 9&3 and 12&6, it should be somewhat level. On the bad tire it will be off one way or another. (up / down or right / left)
              Some will setup ropes on the top / middle / bottom of tire and take measurements from the tire to the rope. You'll be able to compare the good side to the bad side.
              You could also use a large metal square against the tire. & ya, in most cases it's the trailing arm (steering arm).

              Click image for larger version

Name:	R.906aa8843e140e23bff8b807cb91558d?rik=fW7tMuxwpz%2foLw&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&sres=1&sresct=1.png
Views:	23
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	4983066
              ok so i am still a bit lost. Is the trailing arm the upper control arm? If it is the control arm it would be? Toe out, right. If it is the inner tie rod i would actually think it would steer harder right since it was hit on front right rim. I am still not sure which 2 items you were referring to it could be. I still am thinking it could be 3. Either upper control arm, inner tie rod or radius rod. Radius rod makes most sense to me if car is pulling left while steering wheel is str8t. At this point though i rally have no ideal. First time i have ever encountered this. I was even thinking i could of shoved the steering rack over a couple teeth but i have no ideal about this stuff here.

              Comment


                #8
                This happened to me once, it is very likely that your steering issue is because your lower control arm is bent.

                http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
                  This happened to me once, it is very likely that your steering issue is because your lower control arm is bent.

                  dam,i would of thought that lower control arm was to thick of steel to bend so easily. But yeah that makes sense it would pull left after bending the front right one. That probably means my radius rod is bent also. That sucks as that is the hardest piece ot replace down there.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I would think just by looking or measuring things, passenger side vs. drivers side you can figure out what bent. Otherwise just take it to a shop and have them tell you. Sometimes it's a combination of parts but not usually. Usually the weakest link bends, depends on the hit too.
                    Just jack it up, and lay there for a while starring at it haha.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      I would think just by looking or measuring things, passenger side vs. drivers side you can figure out what bent. Otherwise just take it to a shop and have them tell you. Sometimes it's a combination of parts but not usually. Usually the weakest link bends, depends on the hit too.
                      Just jack it up, and lay there for a while starring at it haha.
                      yeah i did already jack it up and look. I wasn't looking at lower control arm. I just assumed that wouldn't bend but seeing these pics now i bet that is what it is. My radius rod is probably bent too. What a pita to replace. Already did it once a couple years ago. Wasn't fun at all. A total pita to get that radius rod back on.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X