Lower ball joint replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower ball joint replacement?

I have a really annoying loud click in my front left suspension...methinks it's the LBJ because when I did that axle I tore it up with the pickle fork about a year ago, and it's been getting progressively worse since I changed my suspension. Is it easy to replace or should I just pay to have it done? I need an alignment anyway.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Upper balljoint I think.

Watch my vids. Does it sound like that?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=56972

Comment

Hmmm...nahhh that's not it. Mine kinda pops when I'm braking, and sometimes when I turn standing still. I'm gonna get it looked at, but I'm almost certain it's the LBJ or something radius rod related...

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
        Hmmm...nahhh that's not it. Mine kinda pops when I'm braking, and sometimes when I turn standing still. I'm gonna get it looked at, but I'm almost certain it's the LBJ or something radius rod related...
        I agree based on your description that it's the lower ball-joint. You should not have used a pickle fork in that application. I only use that tool when I am replacing that joint and don't care to ruin the boot. Otherwise, get your largest hammer and knock the joint loose, use that method to not ruin the boot. Anyhow, what I do to replace it is remove the entire knuckle assembly from the car with hub/rotor/bearing assembly still intact (not removed). I then rip the boot, so I can get a cup/socket that will clear the tapered thread end and sit nice on the base of the joint. I also remove the snap-ring, fix the knuckle in a vise with threaded end of joint straight up, use this cup I mentioned and large hammer/sledge and knock the joint out. To install a new one, I use a large heavy-duty C-clamp that pushes the joint fron the flat side and cups it on the threaded side and draw it into the joint-bore with a impact, put snap ring on and voila. It really doesn't take long once you get your system in place and right tools. I'm lucky, I do these jobs at work cuz we have the tools.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Wow, yea I'm definitely taking it to a shop. It might be my radius rod though...when I did my crossmember only one of the bolts on the LCA went through. I don't know if it's the bolt or the arm, but I could see how that would cause a problem as now there is a degree of freedom for rotation there that wasn't there before. I'm gonna see what the mechanics say.

Comment

Wow, yea I'm definitely taking it to a shop. It might be my radius rod though...when I did my crossmember only one of the bolts on the LCA went through. I don't know if it's the bolt or the arm, but I could see how that would cause a problem as now there is a degree of freedom for rotation there that wasn't there before. I'm gonna see what the mechanics say.
            You're talking about the radius rod and how on the lower control arm end of it, it has 2 bolt holes for the 2 screws that fasten the radius rod to the lower control arm. So you're saying only 1 of them lined up. Well, keep in mind that you are fighting the radius rod bushings and lower control arm to install that anyhow, it's a little fussy in normal circumstance. I'd try again and use more force to try and line it up and if you can absolutely not, then yea...something may be bent from your previous accidents, etc.

Comment

I've done both front lower balljoints in the past month. I would just pull the knuckle off, bring it to Honda and have them press in a new balljoint. That's what I would suggest or getting a ball joint from the parts store and having a garage press it in. Good luck

Comment

I just had my lower right one changed they only charged me an hour labour

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
                  I just had my lower right one changed they only charged me an hour labour
                  I could have them both installed in 1 hour , prolly 1.5 hrs with knuckles installed into the car afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                    You're talking about the radius rod and how on the lower control arm end of it, it has 2 bolt holes for the 2 screws that fasten the radius rod to the lower control arm. So you're saying only 1 of them lined up. Well, keep in mind that you are fighting the radius rod bushings and lower control arm to install that anyhow, it's a little fussy in normal circumstance. I'd try again and use more force to try and line it up and if you can absolutely not, then yea...something may be bent from your previous accidents, etc.
                    nah it happened when he fucked with the suspension from the last time i told him not to and that to wait for me to change it for him but anxious glory just couldnt wait to re-adjust the suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                      nah it happened when he fucked with the suspension from the last time i told him not to and that to wait for me to change it for him but anxious glory just couldnt wait to re-adjust the suspension.

Nah it's definitely from when WE did the driver's side axle almost a year ago, and tore up the boot...I've had this noise problem since before I did my motor mounts

Comment

Nah it's definitely from when WE did the driver's side axle almost a year ago, and tore up the boot...I've had this noise problem since before I did my motor mounts
                        damn well ill be watchin when you get it changed just to see how i can do that. i never changed the lower one before.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                          damn well ill be watchin when you get it changed just to see how i can do that. i never changed the lower one before.
                          I think you need a press or something...it's like embedded in the knuckle. I'mma ask if I can watch too though just cause I don't trust anybody besides us with my shit...

Comment

snap ring pliers, vice and random tubing/piece of metail is all you need and razor. you can use the vise to press in the joint as well, just easier and quicker for me at work.

Comment

Well, it depend on your previous lower balljoint condition. Mine was really messed up and it took me almost two hours to change the lower balljoint. I really recommend you to follow the procedure from honda service manual. I did not follow the procedure, so I ended up taking off the whole knuckle. It was really depressing. My dad's friend told me that I should have taken off the brake caliber and the rotor in order to use the balljoint press, and it was true. I ended up hitting it until it pop out from the knuckle and did not use the balljoint press. You need a friend to hold the knuckle.

-Tools that you need is ball joint press, [the C chaped one] (you can borrow it from autozone).
                              -fork (?something I forgot the name), to separate your lower balljoint from front lower arm.

Thast was my experience and it was a very sunny and hot day at the time. I hate it

Comment

Working...
                              X