Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else have a problem with Fel-Pro VC gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else have a problem with Fel-Pro VC gaskets?

This story starts last weekend. I decided that my Valve Cover gasket was old and leaking oil, so I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought one of the Fel-Pro VC gasket kits with the spark plug tube seals and everything. I get everything going and when I try to put the new VC gasket in the groove of the valve cover I could not get it too fit. It was too big. So on Tuesday I took it back to Advance saying that it was too big, like a manufacturer's defect.

I had temporarily sealed up the VC with the old gasket and some grey RTV silicone. I drove around for the week. Now I am leaking oil like a motherfucker, and my dad is pissed and yelling at me for getting more oil on the driveway than I had been.

Fast forward to today when I went to Auto Zone close to work (which is 30 miles from home) and pick up another one of the same kits. Get home tonight to get it on, and WTF this one is too big too. Are they supposed to be too big and shrink to size, or what? Because if they are how the hell are you supposed to get it to seal well?

Monday afternoon I will be taking a trip to the dealer to get an OEM VC gasket.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

I got the same set i believe it was felpro came with the tube seals and all.. i had no problems at all. Ive reused it too when i decided to adjust my valves. Im not leaking any oil or anything i also didnt use any silicone. Ive also got a brokes valve cover stud and stil no leaks. I dunno why your are giving ya such problems. Oem should take care of the problem. Maybe the valve cover warped or something. Ive never heard of that happening but ya never know.. Stranger shits happend.

Comment

So yours fit right into the groove? Maybe all the Fel-Pro VC gaskets in Charlotte ore shit.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Well it was larger than it should have been i guess i really didnt pay to much attention to it. I just installed it and that was end of story.. But im sure if i ran into a problem with it id have taken it off and looked at it a bit. BTW yeah i got my poor lil f..

Comment

You give me more credit than you should yeahmans. I am stuck with the old F22A1.

So, gettin faster how did you get it on of it was too big? Lay it out over the head first, or stick it into the valve cover groove? Because if I stuck it in there it would just fall out.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

did you try rotating the gasket on the vavle cover, cuss the 2 bumps on each side of the valve cover are just about the same size, but one is actually bigger than the other, and if you put the gasket in the wrong way it wont fit. I dont know if you done that or not. Also, if you wanna keep it on the cover without coming off, rub some grease on the gasket, that helps it stick to the valve cover a bit, but if its really oily in the groove, it wont stay!

Comment

Yeah, it had to be in the right way. There is only one side with tabs, and only one way it will go in.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Well like i said i didnt pay alot of attention to it at the time of install but i did put it on the valve cover first. I cleaned all the oil and crap off both the head and the vc. I gave it a little jiggle to make sure i had a good seat with the head and it was a done deal. I guess you could use some silicone to hold it in the groves while you seat the valve cover. Hell im willing to bet you could prolly just run a bead of silicone around the valve cover and call it a day. Ive seen people do that too.. maybe they made a bad batch or something on the gaskets. Take um back and get a refund and get some from another store. Good luck man.

Comment

I have the entire Fel Pro VC gasket kit on my a6 from when we did my timing belt and I didn't have any problems w/ it. Best of luck w/ your situation!

Comment

I havent had any problems with there gaskets too so dunno. Used em on my a6 and my h22.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                    X