8lb flywheel worries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8lb flywheel worries.

I have a chance to buy an "H" series flywheel from a guy down here for $150 it's a Fidanza lightweight flywheel. He said it's new in box. Is that a good deal? Also, I've heard alot about how 8lb are more likely to shatter at high rpms(Like putting a CD on a high powered drill) So about that i was wondering what the odds are of it happening. Another thing I've heard is 8lb flywheels are bad for racing from a dead stop, i can't exactly remember the reason but it was something like- we need the momentum are stock ones gave us, and if we were gonna get any FW get an 11lb. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.
    Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

I got my fidanza of ebay for $160 shipped. If it is brand new and still in box, seems like an ok deal to me. I've never really heard anything about lightweight flywheels shattering at higher RPM's so IDK but mines hasn't given me any problems ever since I put it in back in May of this year. I also heard how lighter flywheels are bad for racing from a stop but I also heard they're good for racing from a roll so I guess that a plus to it. The flywheel hasn't really made my car noticeably slower from a dig so you probably wont really be able to feel too much of a difference if any.

I say you go for it

Comment

lol @ shattering at high RPM. So who told you this? Probably if its made out of shitty material or somtehing but if your talkin fidanza thats a well repped company. Get it its worth it.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Actually a dude down here was telling me about it. he had mods out the ass on his h22 prelude and he told me if i was gonna build up on my motor i should keep my stock FW. i asked why and he told me. But do you know how bad of a difference it is from a stop?

Comment

Your car will rev a lot quicker. I found that out in my boys EG coupe. Thing ran like a champ before he sold it.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

you dont get the inertia of the heavy flywheel, but you get the benefits of having less rotating mass once youre moving... so from a stop its a little harder to get a solid launch, and you wont really chirp the tires when shifting. but besides that i love the feel of it, how quick it revs and how light and responsive it feels...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

so it's more of a traction issue?

Comment

Originally posted by EXkidd91
                so it's more of a traction issue?
                no, its more of the engine not having as much rotating mass... coming from a stop usually the inertia of the spinning FW helps get the car moving. without that weight, when you begin to engage the clutch, it pulls the engine RPMs down quicker than normal... so you need to give it more gas to keep the revs up and get the car moving. launching a car with a lightened flywheel the same way you would one with a stock flywheel, youll notice youll be taking off at too low RPMs where you dont have much power... but once you get moving, you get MOVING...

same idea when shifting, what often makes our accord wheels chirp is not raw power, a lot of it is due to the rotating weight of the flywheel... when you shift and slam it into the next gear, 18lbs of spinning weight will hit the tranny and make the wheels chirp. without that, shifting will just drag the RPMs back down to where they are supposed to be without chirping the tires..

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Another thing is say hypothetically I was planting 110 to the wheels. What difference to the wheels would i see? and would a stock clutch possibly cut these numbers in half?

Comment

Originally posted by EXkidd91
                    Another thing is say hypothetically I was planting 110 to the wheels. What difference to the wheels would i see? and would a stock clutch possibly cut these numbers in half?
                    your not really making actual HP numbers when your talkin bout clutch and fylwheel..theres a thread about this somewhere

and thing about lighter flywheels is just that they drop rmp's to much between shifts because theres not as much rotating mass to keep them at high rpms, so when you shift to the next gear it can drop out of powerband..it also makes it harder to launch under normal driving conditions, you have to rev a lil higher and feather the clutch a lil more......however it is a very popular mod and just about everyone ive know or read about like them...it helps w/ acceleration becuase it lets the engine turn easier.

if you scared about all this stuff just try going w/ something like a 12 pound flywheel instead of an 8 pound

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

So i actually will not be putting any more power to the wheels?

Comment

Nope. It basically lightens up the engine load letting it rev quicker and such. You will see improvements just not powerwise.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i think of it as releasing potential power, just like have a 8000lbs car make 800whp, ur not going anywhere, but when u get rid of a lot of that weight then u will be moving
                          "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

so i will accelerate faster?

Comment

yeah. you will. you take the stock flywheel that is about 18lbs and an aftermarket flywheel that is 12 or 8lbs. lighter mass. less mass the engine has to rotate so its able to but that energy to the ground faster. thing is you have to compensate like mentioned already by giving it more gas.
                              91 Ex CB9
                              JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                              p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                              Weight Reductions
                              R33 or R34 front end

Comment

Working...
                              X