bjaccord's --- Official OBX LSD Thread ---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bjaccord's --- Official OBX LSD Thread ---

This will be my progress thread with the OBX LSD in my F series transmission (Specificaly a 1993 EX 5spd, I think the H2U5).

The box my LSD came in was marked "10740", it said nothing about Accord or F series, just the numbers.

From the beginning:

I ordered the LSD September 30th from hracing1234 off of ebay for $400.00 shipped. I got it in the mail on the 6th and dropped it off along with my tranny on the 8th.

Before dropping it off I fully disassembled it, cleaned it and checked a few things. I made sure the washers were in the correct order, and lined up, and torqued the bolts to 45 ft/lbs.

The gears were beveled so I don't feel there will be any axle issues (Getting stuck in the trans) and everything else looked good.

I had one bolt that a few threads were mildly messed up, I ran the bolt through a die and all was good.

With the trans I also dropped off new differential bearings, input shaft bearing and input shaft seal. Just good things to replace while doing this. I used all oem Honda parts.

While attempting the first assembly, a bolt broke off in the case. It was brought to a machine shop and repaired, not a big deal, just took some time.

Second time around the tran was locked up after final torque down, basicly, we needed thinner shims.

I ordered the two thinnest shims from Honda and after getting them we tried again, still locked up, but getting closer.

Going on what Stefan, aka, Dutchaccord said, we tried to machine the shims down. We werent able to do this accuratly though, so we had a little bit machined out of the trans housing itself, and ran a medium Honda shim. Again, not a big deal, just took time.

I finaly got it back 4 weeks later to the day, the whole time my car just sitting on jackstands in a friends shop. Total cost for parts and install was close to 300, not to bad considering almost half was at Honda for the bearings and seals.

Took me a day or two to get around to putting it back in, with a new rear main seal, T.O bearing, clutch fork pivot ball and axle seals.

After another week chasing wiring gremlins and spending money that I didn't have to, I officialy got it back on the road tonight, 11/15/06. (I did put on about 30 miles with the check engine light on last night).

I will periodicly update this thread with mileage, experiences and my personal thoughts on the upgrade. I am planning on hitting the dragstrip this Saturday (11/18) to try and break into the 12's with some added traction.

If there are any questions just post them up, I'll answer them the best that I can.

Please keep the "OBX is Junk" posts to yourself, I Don't Care How Good Your Quaiffe Is, or What Happened To That Guy You Knew , this is not the place to argue this issue.
    This is just a review of the OBX unit.

I will not give a definitive Yes or No on quality or "Was it worth the money/trouble etc" until I have some decent mileage and abuse on it (And I will abuse it, I promise)

Thanks

L8r
    Last edited by bjaccord; 11-15-2006, 10:46 PM.
    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
    01-01-2019

UPDATE #1

* 40 miles

It was raining tonight so I felt I could test it without putting much strain on the new clutch, so I gave it half throttle to make a few lbs of boost and got both tires to break loose, so it is doing its job so far, however, there isn't much load or stress on it when the roads are wet, so my true test will be this weekend at the track.

L8r
    01-01-2019

Comment

damnn good luck at the track man, can i say high 12s?

hopefully you break in that clutch b4 you go to the track

Comment

Finally! Awesome man, glad you got her going. I may do this over the winter haven't quite decided. Any other updates to your setup? I'm going to the track Saturday as well with some slicks, I'd like to see a 12.9 in the 1/4. I wish you the greatest amount of luck, I want to see a CB7 in the 12's!!

Off-Topic: Where are you located? Georgia? If so, you better be at the East Coast meet this spring, but maybe we can get together for a smaller meet in a few weeks. I'd love to see this monster in person.
        wat

Comment

gdout90accord: I'm going to be putting some serious miles on my car in two days, hopefully 6-700, so the clutch should be broken in by then. The track I'm going to this sat. is also a bit over a 100 miles away (My local track is already down for the winter)
          Hopefully I can get some clean runs and not break anything, I have to have it running to get back home , and I don't want to pay for a wrecker for 100 miles....

straightedge: I'm hoping there are two more cb's in the 12's this saturday. Good luck
          And yes, I'm in GA, and I've been to the last two spring meets (Nashville and Asheboro), so I'm sure I'll be at the next one as well. I think you were at the last one but I don't recall meeting you? I showed up late with all the other boosted guys from GA and FL.

L8r
          01-01-2019

Comment

damn man, 500 miels in two days around the city is gonna be tiring, lol

im glad to see you got it in, and i cant wait to hear reviews. I love LSD even more, now that i went back to the peg-legged tranny haha

Formerly 91AccordExR33
            11.68 @ 127mph
            417whp/375wtq
            Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Good luck, hope good times for you.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i am glad you made this thread...some people on this board...whenver you mention obx or phantom grip....they are like..thats garbage..get quaife...get quaife...blah blah...

but not everyone has quaife money....

well thanks for the review..and posting it on this sight...

Comment

* 150 Miles

Still no issues, no real testing but no problems either.

I had to work late, and then went a to a mini meet so driving time was cut down, but 110 miles pretty much stoplight to stoplight in 25-45 zones isn't to bad for one night.

Hopefully do a bit more freeway driving, along with some city driving tomorrow night, maybe 200 miles or so, and that will put me around 350. Then Saturday morning do an oil change in the trans, double check all bolts etc, check for any leaks and leave for the track by 11AM.
                  It's 100 miles to the track, stopping for gas, then food and about 30 miles of it city driving, hopefully it will all be broken in by then, and ready to rock.

I'll try and update tomorrow night on mileage and maybe a bit of testing exiting some corners (I have a few different corners that I tested previously, so I will return to them with the LSD and see what happens)
                  I have both a hard left and hard right, at which before one tire or the other would break loose upon boost, hopefully now it will simply pull all the way out of the turn.

L8r all....
                  01-01-2019

Comment

I thought breaking in the clutch required stop and go driving? at least thats what I did. Took forever but yea worked lol.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yea i thought the same thing...

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                      11.68 @ 127mph
                      417whp/375wtq
                      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Well, from my research, it doesn't have to be all stop and go driving. It's very similar to seating new brake pads. It has to do with heat cycles and kind of making it's on friction surface into the two surfaces (In this case the disc-pressure plate and disc-flywheel, much like new brake pads onto new rotors).

City driving will break it in best, but so will extended heat cycles. You could do 500 miles city and barely get anything up to operating temp, and back down again. So far the majority of my driving has been stop and go, I'd say 130 of it, and tomorrow night will be about 100 city 100 freeway. I also periodicly exit the interstate, come to a few stops, and get back on the interstate.

My last 4 puck clutch got a 35 mile break-in, highway driving to the dragstrip, and then completed it's break in period in the burn-out box, and lasted two years of serious abuse, not to bad in my book.

L8r
                        01-01-2019

Comment

i dropped a ful sec in my 1/4 when i when to lsd
                          fuck the bitches that stole my car jan/1/2006@7am from montesano wa updated: The Warrens from Malone Wa were found guilty for possesion of stolen property in the 1st*and were ordered to pay $2489.69 in restitution, only cause the shell was not found

R.I.P.

Vouches from: Snailin91, Caution, 2G6, Jdmf23accord, Boosted_StinkyNuts

Comment

good to see people are testing the obx lsd out. ive had mine almost a year now w/o issues. its the only ching chow meow part thats proven itself so far.

Comment

* 305 Miles.

Tested it out a little bit in some corners last night and it felt good.

Off to the track, should be home around 8PM, so I'll try and post up then.

L8r all
                              01-01-2019

Comment

Working...
                              X