Unplug EGR to see if it's clogged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unplug EGR to see if it's clogged?

I've been reading up on the EGR cleaning and blockoff plates...but I have a question regarding them.

I've been getting the standard slight bogging under light throttle, so I'm thinking my EGR is due to be cleaned. However, I wanted to make sure that it was that before I spent hours upon hours digging out the ports.

If I disconnect the EGR, I know I'll throw a CEL. However, would that allow me to see if the EGR is causing my bogging issues?

I'm trying to go through the car to get it running smoother and with a little more power (there's no way my auto A4 EX should be faster than my I/H/E manual A1), and I'm just trying to go down the list of things that might be the culprit.

I was thinking if I just disconnected the EGR and ignored the CEL, could I drive it around town for a day and just see how different it runs? I know if you block it off, it doesn't allow it to function, but I'm just not certain if that means that blocked caps will or won't affect your motor.

Thanks in advance.

at what RPM does it bog?

Comment

Just try it...i guarantee the car wont explode.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
        Just try it...i guarantee the car wont explode.
        Nah, I know it'll run fine, I'm just not familiar enough with it to whether or not clogged ports will still hamper the car with the EGR disabled. In theory it shouldn't I was just confirming.

I'm not that dumb under the hood.

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
        at what RPM does it bog?
        Anywhere between 1500 and 3500 under light throttle.

Comment

Im just saying...try it. Whats the worst that could happen? it actually works?

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

only one way to find out.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

you can always use resistors to trick it into not throwing a code or altering any of the parameters while totally bypassing the egr.

it SHOULD run differently with that CEL on, so i don't think unplugging it will help. if it doesn't change, then you don't know anything, and if it gets worse, that could simply be because it's unplugged.

i'd use resistors or just get an EGR and swap it out OR i'd just clean it.

cleaning it is a 15 minute job if it's cooled off completely.

if you have a blockoff plate, then putting that on and pulling the egr but leaving it plugged up would also work as far as ruling out the EGR valve or not.
              ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

When I realized I had the typical bogging under light acceleration/constant speed @ about 1800 rpm, I knew it was the EGR. So first thing I did was leave the valve as is, but unplug it. The problem was gone, smooth acceleration, no stammering at all. It took about 5 minutes for me to get a CEL too, so it gave me a chance to really see what it was like w/o the EGR. And now I have a block plate w/ the valve plugged in and tied against a lower coolant hose. Works very well I must say.

Comment

I agree with Ricky.

As soon as that light pops on, you are no longer testing the same set of variables.

If you are looking to temporarily investigate, I would make a cheap block off plate, and seal it with some gasket sealer, and drive that around.

You could probably use a few layers of Soda can if you wanted.

Then if you block it, and the driveability doesn't change, it is a good indication that your ports are clogged, since blocking it off should cause a difference if they are working correctly.

Can you do me a favor, and have the timing tested, and then PM me a pic of your dizzy?

Your problems are the result of either a huge combination of small things, or 1 single big problem, and there is only 1 big problem I can think of that explains all of your symptoms.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

if your egr valve is full of carbon, I guarantee that your passageways are blocked as well.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

its your egr ports. theres a service bulletin on slight bogging under light acceleration. ill see if i can find it and ill let you take a look at it

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

when i bogged like that, i just cleaned out everything that i could think of related to the EGR (service ports, valve, IACV, etc etc). there was ALOT of carbon build up. the various valves were easy, with some carb cleaner, it comes right out and looks new. service ports took a little longer. if you're going to clean one, might as well do the lot of them. they won't get clogged again for a long long time

Comment

id would fool with the egr. Unplug the electric portion of it and keep the vac line on it. if i could start from scratch that is what i would have done instead of not using honda bond like i should have. disconect it and get a chipped ecu

Comment

Working...
                          X